4 Damaging Mainstream Nutrition Beliefs

iechick
iechick Posts: 352 Member
(thread title is the title of the article)

http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/10/11/4-damaging-mainstream-nutrition-beliefs/

Discuss :bigsmile:

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Interesting points. And clearly a knowledgable author, being a registered dietitian. I agree whole heartedly that the approach to teaching someone to make healthy choices over simply eating less of something dangerous/damaging to their overall health is great. People (in a very generalized sense) should be challenged to incorporate more fruits and vegetables, without the cream sauces, corn syrups, additives etc.

I was also happy to read that as a dietitian, his job is not done because someone lost weight. Clearly he is about retraining and guiding towards better overall choices. And I see he is supportive of people indulging and not just cutting the crap out all together.

But, things like removing labels like "junk food" or using those other terms of "in moderation" are probably a really good place to start when trying to retrain yourself how to have a fully balanced, healthy diet. 80/20.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Discuss, well I would say the whole article could be shortened for the TL;DR crowd: use your f___cking head. I really like that article, mind you, but what it really boils down to is simple. Your health is important, so get educated on it. If you plan your dietary and health approach based on the opinions of others, you might have a bad time.
  • lwakeman1
    lwakeman1 Posts: 9 Member
    This author did the same thing that they were railing against!

“Everything in moderation" seemed meaningless to them, however, they go on write that "this is not to say someone should be scolded for the occasional indulgence"! Does occasional mean once a year, once a month, once a week or once a day? Occasional and Moderation are equally ambiguous and if you are going to write on the sensibilities of one ambiguity, you shouldn't use another in your rant!
  • iechick
    Discuss, well I would say the whole article could be shortened for the TL;DR crowd: use your f___cking head. I really like that article, mind you, but what it really boils down to is simple. Your health is important, so get educated on it. If you plan your dietary and health approach based on the opinions of others, you might have a bad time.

what does TL;DR stand for-been trying to figure it out for a while now :blushing:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    He contradicts himself yet again under myth number four; he is against helping clients find a better choice at the drive through window but follows it with this excerpt:

"We should not feel bad for gently challenging people. That leads me to a rather irritating “straw man” argument I often hear: “Not everyone is going to eat steamed kale and brown rice.” As if the only options available to people were a quadruple Baconator burger from a fast-food chain or a bowl of steamed vegetables."

Okay, why not suggest a healthier choice for the person "on the go".
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    I like the points made; weight loss is NOT the same as good nutrition, which is NOT the same as weight loss! You can lose weight eating candy bars only, and you can gain weight eating nothing but lean meat, veggies, nuts and fruit. I see too many threads on here that seem to equate weight loss with nutrition; the logic is sloppy. I agree that nutritionists sometimes seem to focus more on weight loss - probably because that is often when people go see them. Thanks for sharing the article.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    As an RD he probably sees people with very unhealthy view of food and their relationship is skewed so it biases his view.
    But in general, he's wrong.

For someone that eat 5%-10% of my food from so called "junk-food" and an incredible variety of fresh and local product - yes, there is no bad food. His example of ED makes no sense in my house hold. My daughters are allowed to have soda perhaps once a week or ice cream as the odd dessert (more often it's fruit) and are healthy and active. So no, there is no "bad food" and focusing on making bad foods leads to poor nutritional choices and little diversity.

While he does not understand "moderation" and finds it chaotic it just is a universal truth. Just as water in excess will kill, so will any effective medical treatment, exercise routine. So "moderation" is a good rule - that it grates on him is his problem. No real content on that point. There are no foods that you should eat always - how totally boring. How lacking in variety and nutritional diversity. Broccolli everyday? No thanks, and I love it. Adherence is better with diversity, at least for me.

Point three I agree with mostly, while mMany "healthy eaters" are disordered or restrictive eaters and there are many studies on nutritional gaps and deficiencies of certain types it is true that planning proper nutrition is a need for everyone - omnivore or veg*n.

Finally he addresses a fourth strawman by setting up his own strawmen - we as a public need dieticians to tell us not to eat 3x a week in a drive thru? Really? We somehow cook all our dinners (the "norm") in a microwave? Really? I have a picky eater at home and damn right I'm going to be realistic - yes, I push her envelope to try new items to at least taste things but it would be moral or mental violence to expect her to eat only "outside of her envelope" - realism is a useful strategy to see what can change, where adherence is possible and and what works long term.

So, with his criticisms of what actually does work I'm going to guess he has a very frustrating existence - I certainly would not use someone like that.

Of course, I expect the usual "toxins" crowd to rally right behind him.

Because toxins.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member

what does TL;DR stand for-been trying to figure it out for a while now :blushing:

"Your post was too long; I didn't read it." So in being humorous with you, you could say the TL;DR of my reply is "Too long; didn't read".
  • iechick
    As an RD he probably sees people with very unhealthy view of food and their relationship is skewed so it biases his view.

For someone that eat 5%-10% of my food from so called "junk-food" and an incredible variety of fresh and local product - yes, there is no bad food. His example of ED makes no sense in my house hold. My daughters are allowed to have soda perhaps once a week or ice cream as the odd dessert (more often it's fruit) and are healthy and active. So no, there is no "bad food" and focusing on making bad foods leads to poor nutritional choices and little diversity.

While he does not understand "moderation" and finds it chaotic it just is a universal truth. Just as water in excess will kill, so will any effective medical treatment, exercise routine. So "moderation" is a good rule - that it grates on him is his problem. No real content on that point. There are no foods that you should eat always - how totally boring. How lacking in variety and nutritional diversity. Broccolli everyday? No thanks, and I love it. Adherence is better with diversity, at least for me.

Point three I agree with mostly, while mMany "healthy eaters" are disordered or restrictive eaters and there are many studies on nutritional gaps and deficiencies of certain types it is true that planning proper nutrition is a need for everyone - omnivore or veg*n.

Finally he addresses a fourth strawman by setting up his own strawmen - we as a public need dieticians to tell us not to eat 3x a week in a drive thru? Really? We somehow cook all our dinners (the "norm") in a microwave? Really? I have a picky eater at home and damn right I'm going to be realistic - yes, I push her envelope to try new items to at least taste things but it would be moral or mental violence to expect her to eat only "outside of her envelope" - realism is a useful strategy to see what can change, where adherence is possible and and what works long term.

So, with his criticisms of what actually does work I'm going to guess he has a very frustrating existence - I certainly would not use someone like that.

Because toxins.

Great post-this is pretty much where I'm coming from too :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Because toxins.

I came in here to post a similar but shorter and poorly worded version of this. So instead I will just say:

This.gif
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    To be the devil's advocate here...

I find this line of reasoning flawed. He doesn't say that these foods are fatal, only that they are the opposite of good. Junk food is not good food. That's why we call it junk.
    Now the degree to which you can tolerate and sustain an overall healthy diet with some of this food included is up to the individual. You and your family are able to include some food like that and still maintain a good overall level of health. That doesn't mean that that stuff is good for you, just that in the overall balance you are still ahead by an acceptable margin.
    To me the analogy is if an athlete smokes just a few cigarettes per week, but is still overall very fit. Doesn't mean the cigarettes aren't bad, just that he/she does enough otherwise good living that the impact is mitigated.

His point is that Moderation in and of itself is a crappy term that is widely mis-used and misunderstood. It's the same reason that alcoholics going through rehab now use the term 'using' rather than 'abusing' because it's very easy to rationalize what is or is not abuse, especially with someone who has a real problem in that area.
    Finally he addresses a fourth strawman by setting up his own strawmen - we as a public need dieticians to tell us not to eat 3x a week in a drive thru? Really? We somehow cook all our dinners (the "norm") in a microwave? Really?

You are not dealing with his patient base. There are many, many people for whom this is the norm and have to be educated otherwise. Especially among the younger generation, there's a huge number of people who eat out at nearly every meal. This is the same demographic that usually cannot afford healthier food when they eat out. So taken together, it's entirely normal for a teen or twenty-something to be eating mostly cheap, junky fast food.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member

I find this line of reasoning flawed. He doesn't say that these foods are fatal, only that they are the opposite of good. Junk food is not good food. That's why we call it junk.
    Now the degree to which you can tolerate and sustain an overall healthy diet with some of this food included is up to the individual. You and your family are able to include some food like that and still maintain a good overall level of health. That doesn't mean that that stuff is good for you, just that in the overall balance you are still ahead by an acceptable margin.
    To me the analogy is if an athlete smokes just a few cigarettes per week, but is still overall very fit. Doesn't mean the cigarettes aren't bad, just that he/she does enough otherwise good living that the impact is mitigated.

His point is that Moderation in and of itself is a crappy term that is widely mis-used and misunderstood. It's the same reason that alcoholics going through rehab now use the term 'using' rather than 'abusing' because it's very easy to rationalize what is or is not abuse, especially with someone who has a real problem in that area.
    Finally he addresses a fourth strawman by setting up his own strawmen - we as a public need dieticians to tell us not to eat 3x a week in a drive thru? Really? We somehow cook all our dinners (the "norm") in a microwave? Really?

You are not dealing with his patient base. There are many, many people for whom this is the norm and have to be educated otherwise.

Alehmer pretty well said what I was thinking. Junk is junk, if you can eat it and stay relatively fit, well that's good but that doesn't mean it's helping to keep you healthy at all. It's just not doing as much damage as it otherwise might because you're balancing it with good food. But at the same time he does recognize that it's not realistic to say "I am never going to eat anything unhealthy ever again", hence his view on the odd indulgence being ok. But at the same time, there's a wide range of things that could be considered indulgences too, and some are worse for you than others. I think this part of it kind of sums that up:
    "we can not and should not deny that certain foods belong in the “eat always” category, others in the “eat sometimes” category, and others in the “eat rarely, if at all” category."

ETA: I can't figure out how to get the quotes to work properly lol
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Too, and I'm not trying to be argumentative but just adding to my earlier thought, he never says that people have to eat the same thing every day, like broccoli or anything else. I think his point is just the opposite, that there is in fact a wondrous variety of actual good for you foods, so when people think in terms of all or nothing (fast food burger or bowl of steamed veggies) they're being short-sighted, as there are many very tasty things that aren't "junk" food, and some people just aren't aware of all the variety that's out there.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    IN... For Moderation & Against Demonization of any foods.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Because toxins.

I read the blog, shook my head, and wondered where to start with the dissection. Then I saw Evgeni's response and said to myself, "that about sums it up."

My takeaways: the blogger doesn't understand moderation, even though he promotes it; and he likes to demonize food, probably because he doesn't understand how to successfully incorporate it into a diet plan.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Show me the study which proves that eating a snickers/cookie/ice cream sandwich a day results in anything unhealthy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    And to your avocation I shall play the snollygoster.

Nor do I say that he's saying they are fatal. But speaking of flawed reasoning you just through out a circular argument. It's junk because we call it junk. Not a very good argument at all. But let's even go there and agree that perhaps it's junk IF we call it junk. Now here is the funny thing about languages - some concepts exist across cultures some do not. And guess what, the term junk food is a particularly specific concept to the English language it does not exist in French nor German nor Spanish. We have fast food but not junk food. A conceptual deformation that challenges the junkiness of it all.
    How is it bad? As bad as a handful of uncooked beans? Because those will certainly make you ill. Bad food or junk food is a totally arbitrary concept. And our author flails against the idea of "moderation" but willfully tossed about junk and bad. He even suggests that chocolate is junk. Why?
    Again, if it isn't good for me, then it must be bad? How? How is a reasonable amount of chocolate bad for me? Every single food has some alimentary risk but this labeling is awful - is a candied fig junk food? How about dried fruit? Pie? Compote? Pain au chocolat?
    Funny thing there are studies that show that light smoking might have impact on lung function. Can you point to a study that shows the negative impact of one candy bar a day or a week? Bad analog.

I understood that he thinks it is a poorly defined term, it is. That's the beauty of the universe there are things that are not simple dichotomies. And yet we can set guidelines - 10% or 20% discretionary calories. "Junk" food is not an addiction, despite the hundreds of posts and issues that people have we do not go through withdrawal symptoms from changing from substrate A to B. It's a nice rhetorical image but it's really not biologically supported.

You are not dealing with his patient base. There are many, many people for whom this is the norm and have to be educated otherwise. Especially among the younger generation, there's a huge number of people who eat out at nearly every meal. This is the same demographic that usually cannot afford healthier food when they eat out. So taken together, it's entirely normal for a teen or twenty-something to be eating mostly cheap, junky fast food.
    Yes, I stated from the very start that he might have a bias. But I didn't know that nutritionist could be afforded by those that cannot afford healthier food. How do teens and twenty something junk food junkies pay for their registered nutritionist. Or is this demographic mostly in your head.
    C'mon vegetables are cheap. It's nutritional education that's expensive. Even more so when we spend our time vilifying food groups rather than focusing on nutritional diversity.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    There's quite a lot of semantics here, and while so many internet discussions seems to devolve into fights over semantics, they definitely do color how we look at things.

He's an RD, I think it would be wildly inaccurate to say that he has no idea on how to put together a diet plan (not per EvgeniZyntx), or that he would think that a small amount of chocolate would hurt somebody.

I think a lot of the good food/bad food debate is set by our own boundaries, and using simple terms to try to describe those will inevitably allow for huge argumentative holes.

For me:
    Bad doesn't mean all bad, completely without any redeeming value. I use it in the same context as good, in that it has more pros than cons.
    IE a Big Mac is bad because it is highly processed, very high calorie, high sodium and what good nutrients are there are of relatively poor quality. And it tastes like cardboard crap, so, you know, there's that. There is nothing inherently bad about the Macronutrients found in the sandwich, and there's some natural ingredients with minerals and vitamins. But I could get all of the good things found in the Big Mac in other foods that don't have the negative factors associated with it, foods which I would call good.

Chocolate has a great many positive things associated with it. But when you eat an 8% chocolate 90% sugar/fat candy bar, it's disingenuous to say that you ate a Good Food when you could have had a very high Cacao content treat and gotten the same good things without the bad. Which is why I have 3 pieces of 85% Cacao chocolate every day.

I would call food where the postitive features are dwarfed by the negative features 'Junk', or it's corrolary in any language.

Would you feed your family nothing but cheesecake, soda, and fast food? You know you wouldn't becuase you know that it wouldn't be healthy. It's all just protein, carbs, and fat, but the way you take it in really means something or we wouldn't all be here.
    Funny thing there are studies that show that light smoking might have impact on lung function. Can you point to a study that shows the negative impact of one candy bar a day or a week? Bad analog.

It's a strawman argument to imply that since 1 candy bar a week won't have a noticable effect, so candy as a whole is completely fine.
    Nobody who goes to see an RD or is on this board to improve their nutrition is there because of 1 candy bar a week. These foods are cheap, addictive, and through their high calories displace more nutritious food if not eaten with discipline. If the discipline to eat those foods was in abundant supply, I don't think we'd be here having this argument on a diet website.
    I understood that he thinks it is a poorly defined term, it is. That's the beauty of the universe there are things that are not simple dichotomies. And yet we can set guidelines - 10% or 20% discretionary calories. "Junk" food is not an addiction, despite the hundreds of posts and issues that people have we do not go through withdrawal symptoms from changing from substrate A to B. It's a nice rhetorical image but it's really not biologically supported.

Incorrect. One of many studies showing the exact opposite. High calorie, sugary/fatty/salty food is extremely addictive.
    http://hms.harvard.edu/news/addicted-food-7-3-13
    Yes, I stated from the very start that he might have a bias. But I didn't know that nutritionist could be afforded by those that cannot afford healthier food. How do teens and twenty something junk food junkies pay for their registered nutritionist. Or is this demographic mostly in your head.

Nope, widely understood and clear statistical data.
    Google search (how do you post links to Google-found PDFs, gives HUGE link?)
    www.aae.wisc.edu/fsrg/publications/wp2005-02.pdf

TL:DR - go to page 20 for the chart to see the H U G E spike in fast food consumption.
    C'mon vegetables are cheap. It's nutritional education that's expensive. Even more so when we spend our time vilifying food groups rather than focusing on nutritional diversity.

Dollar for dollar, you can eat a balanced-ish meal out for about the same as you could make at home. But it's the seductive convenience of the fast food vs. the effor it takes to plan for, shop for, and cook a well-balanced meal. It's more like opportunity cost than anything. In addition, it takes a LOT more volume of healthy food to hit the same calories.

I don't think that anyone has villified a food group.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    i agree with all of this..

Clearly there are junk foods and junk food isn't good food. I believe in absolutes. If it isn't good food it is bad food. That's it. It doesn't mean I never eat bad food, but I can't call it good food.

Moderation.. most fat people don't know moderation. If we did, we wouldn't be fat, right? Define moderation? There is no clear cut limit to what is considered moderation and what isn't.

OMG YES!!! Please, please please.. I am so tired of hearing, "live a little", "it's just one piece", "you are on vacation", "it's a cookout". Stop. I am living. I don't need one piece. I don't take vacation from health. And, Cookout chicken! Thanks.

Realistic.. I thought 165 was a realistic weight when I started at 232. I got there, I was still fat. So, I thought 145, I got there and I still had fat. Forget realistic. Our ideas of realistic have been shaped by the years and years of kid gloves, and "she's fat lets not damage her more" codependent relationships. My reality now.. is the body of an elite crossfit athlete or gymnast. There is no reason that I can't get my body fat down that low. There is no reason that I can't train my body so that my muscles look that way. And hell, the loose skin I have from being fat for 20 years, that can be removed too. That's reality.
  • iechick
    Great replies everyone-some really good points being brought up!