How to flatten the Stomach?

Options
I have lost 25 pounds, lost several inches around the waist, losing the love handles, but still having a hard time with my stomach. I have heard sit-ups help, I do sit-ups and stil do not have the results I was hoping to achieved thus far with my weight loss. Any recommendataions on what may help?

Thanks!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Beat it with a bat?

Okay seriously lol...just kidding.

Can't spot reduce. You can do core exercises to help create the illusion of a flatter tummy, but only way to lose the pouch is continue to lose weight and pray is comes off your belly.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Planks and Plank variations work best for me. This only tones muscle and improves posture though. If your body tends to store fat in the middle, you may have to get your body fat % pretty low before you like your belly. If you are at goal weight, this can be accomplished through body builder build/cut cycles. Or...you could corset train, with Dr. approval, of course.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    Beat it with a bat?

Okay seriously lol...just kidding.

Can't spot reduce. You can do core exercises to help create the illusion of a flatter tummy, but only way to lose the pouch is continue to lose weight and pray is comes off your belly.

QFT
  • 1alicia3
    Options
    My abs have always been my favorite to workout but ive never had much to show for it, until I did the ab workout that comes with p90x. Its amazing I dont even do p90x anymore but I still LOVE the ab workout, when I keep up on it my tummy is definitely flat, tight, and toned! If you keep working on building those muscles, as you lose weight they will start peeking through. Its a great short & intense workout too (:
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I lay on the floor and lift both of my legs perfectly straight, perpendicular to myself. I then lower them slowly until there's about 6 inches between my heels and the floor and hold it. It's SOOOOOOOOO rough, but it is the only ab exercise I do and my stomach is flat! Other than that, I agree with another poster who says keep losing weight (presuming you aren't currently underweight or close to it, of course). You won't lose in one particular place all at once - my thighs are always the last place for me. :(
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    No amount of crunches and situps will give you a flat stomach. Compound lifts are far better than that. It all comes down to diet!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds, lost several inches around the waist, losing the love handles, but still having a hard time with my stomach. I have heard sit-ups help, I do sit-ups and stil do not have the results I was hoping to achieved thus far with my weight loss. Any recommendataions on what may help?

Thanks!

Learn how to do kettle bell swings, you won't be sorry
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Lose weight. You can't spot reduce.
  • FatNorm2713
    Options
    Well I am still not at my ideal weight but I am getting there, i will use some of the suggestions, Thanks for your inputs. I have also starting taking a class that does alot of core work-outs so that should help!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    250 sit ups a day.
    it works.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Diet, Diet, Diet...keep the body fat % low and the abs will come through.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I want you to think about this. Really stop and think about this. So if you work your abs like crazy. They get stronger and your muscle mass gets larger there. What exactly is going to happen to the fat that exists on top of the abs? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Fat still exists over top of your abs but now you have more muscle mass in your abs. Guess what effect that just have your overall stomach?

Have fun with those crunches and planks.

Sorry if this sounds condescending, it is not meant to be but its a touchy subject bc I have people at my gym that are extremely fat and come in to just do 45 minutes of an work and leave. Drives me Fin insane.