Why I Love to Lift

Options
The first time I went to the gym I was 13 years old. It was a snow day and I went to our little small town gym with my sister and her BFF. We did step aerobics (circa 1992 or 1993). Throughout the next couple years, my Mom would "encourage" me to go to the gym. Besides, I wasn't involved in any sports anymore (I was much too mischevious to cheer in high school as I did in middle school) so I needed some activity. I came to love the gym and have been regularly involved in fitness for about 20 of my 33 years. I have always and will always be a runner. I don't like distance running. I regularly run 2-3 miles twice a week while pushing about 55 pounds of stroller and child. But I have also participated in kickboxing, spinning, yoga (Bikram, hatha, ashtanga, and power to name a few), swimming, biking, hiking, HIIT, step, long periods of time burning calories on random cardio equipment, walking, exercise DVDs, and moderate weight lifting. In my adult life prior to child, I would spend about 90 minutes most weekdays at the gym. I did a *kitten* load of cardio, stretching, some abs stuff and targeted for 2 days a week, 30-45 minutes of upper body lifting and lower body lifting.

I have never been a large person, but have continuously tried to improve my physique. I started heavy lifting right before I got pregnant in 2011 (delivered 1-25-12), and picked heavy lifting back up May 2012. I've been at it ever since, aiming for 3 days a week of about 20-25 minutes. I had a small break while training for a mini last spring, but have been pretty consistent. I did a KISS routine from Bodybuilding.com. I made up my own routine for most of that time, focusing on 3-4 TOTAL BODY moves with usually 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 increasing weight each time. I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program a couple months ago and really like this style of lifting. 5 set of 5 reps: heavy weight. I sub out some moves (I don't want to squat 3x a week.....) and even add in some lower volume, higher rep stuff (1 legged deads, Bulgarian split squats) and I try to do a lot of plank stuff as I need to strengthen my core for previous injury reasons, and to get nice abs.

I am not what I would consider "perfect", but I am probably happier now with my body than I ever have been in my life. Sorry for the picture size. I struggle with posting pics....

About a year ago. I was still nursing my daughter so at the low end of my weight; about 126-127 and I am 5'2"
FrontAfter.jpg[/URL]

Me this morning. I weighed 132.5 Wednesday.
1011130650_zpsb14e376b.jpg[/URL]

1011130650b_zps59101264.jpg[/URL]

My least favorite part. I know abs are made in the kitchen and I like to eat and drink wine so.......give and take.
1011130651_zps8b7dd8f2.jpg[/URL]

8d4ce309-8a3f-4c4f-90af-457f4a9740de_zpsa77342c6.jpg[/URL]

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    WOW Girl! I am super impressed!!! You look fabulous!!! And I love that you like yourself....its so important :heart:
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Nice! You look good!! I love to lift too. I love to train my legs.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME! BOOM!
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    LOVIN the gun show in the second pic!! Keep kickin' *kitten* !!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    congratulations you look fantastic.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Your back is beautiful! And the rest! Good work
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Great job :smile: You have awesome arms!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Get it, Girl!!!! Fantastic work!! Keep it up, gorgeous!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You look great! WTG!

Can I ask why you don't want to do squats 3 times a week? Just wondering because I have some issues with my knees and I worry that heavy lifting (squats) will hurt them.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You looking amazing..Keep lifting babes...Good work
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    You look great! WTG!

Can I ask why you don't want to do squats 3 times a week? Just wondering because I have some issues with my knees and I worry that heavy lifting (squats) will hurt them.

Thanks you! I don't squat 3x a week for a few reasons. 1. I get bored doing the same stuff over and over again. 2. I feel like I get the most quad work from my squats (unless I do narrow stance, which I sub out quite a bit) and I would rather focus on my hams and glutes in my lower body work. 3. If I do have the potential to "bulk up" (and I use this term loosely), it general seems to occur in my quads. I'm not interested in getting bigger really, just more toned and stronger.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!