Suspicious Activity...

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been working pretty consistently for the last month...month and a half. Logging relatively honestly...maybe out by 100 calls a day give of take...but accurate enough. Doing 4-5 30 mins cardio/strength training sessions, and just as many moderate out door cardio (hiking mild/moderate terrain). I was getting pretty frustrated cause after 3 weeks, I hadn't seen a lick of difference in either weight or measurements... looking back I might have been a bit inpatient.

So up until now, this sounds like a tail as old as time, however, in the last week or so...I've seen some pretty fantastical things happening!

1) ppls are telling me that I am looking smaller, losing lots of weight...ok right on!
2) I had a good loss at the scale this past Monday. Down 3 pounds
3)had to weigh in early due to office being closed on Thanks giving Monday... and I'm down another 3.5 pounds. Great right? except that I just weighed in on Monday...that's crazy excessive isnt it?! 3.5 pounds in 3 days?!

While I am hoping this is accurate...I am having a hard time believing it.... which is holding me back from celebrating it! haha
I'm wondering (hoping) this could be attributed to the fact that I have been managing to get 2x workouts in some days...as well as... and this is the biggie...that I've cut out wine for the past 2 weeks. Trying to limit (not restrict) my grains so maybe that's helping too?!

Just wondering if anyone can validate, explain, dispel or just give a general thought towards what might be going on here! I would love to celebrate this awesome turn around...but I just want to know if I a jumping the gun a bit!

Thanks guys! Have a great weekend!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This your glycogen stores depleating. Happens when you start a weight loss regime. You will actually gain this back when you reach your goal (a lot of people freak out over it actually and when it is just a normal body function). The body burns the glycogen easier than fat, so it uses it first (think path of least resistance).
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Darn. So no reason to celebrate yet :(
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    While I don't discredit (or credit) what was said above as I simply am unfamiliar with what was previously stated, I can tell you this...

Sometimes your body takes time to digest and process foods that you have eaten. I fully believe it's fine. I previously lost 100 pounds and am now starting a journey to lose another 50. This past week I have worked my *kitten* off and only saw a 1.5 pound difference on the scale. But I also know that the night before I weighed myself I had eaten popcorn which makes me bloated and ate dinner a little later than the norm.

This morning, one day after that weigh in, I was down another 2 lbs. Do I believe it? Yes. 100%. I've been tracking everything. 1.5 lbs didn't make sense. 3 lbs does. Do I expect to lose another 3 this week? NO. But it's a good start. Whether or not it's your glycogen stores depleting doesn't matter.

If you will gain that back (and again, that poster probably knows her stuff before posting :)) you will do so when your body is better equipped to handle it and your metabolism is higher. You will be able to use that glycogen in a positive way - your body does need it. It IS a victory. It IS still going in the right direction.

CELEBRATE!!! Just not with 200000 calories :)
  • NaoyukiTai
    NaoyukiTai Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You may be losing fat and gaining muscle because you are doing proper strength training.
    If that's the case, you'd look smaller and weigh the same. Typical "the scale lies".

If you do strength training with more weight and fewer reps, you'd see more "smaller" you because the muscle you add is denser.