Realistic goals?

Options
Hi! I turn 21 in December and really want to go out feeling good about myself, I'm just wondering what a realistic goal would be l, is hate to set it too high abd end up dissapointed. My diary is open to public. I try to eat 1200 calories every day and I also workout 6x a week with a heart rate monitor so I burn between 400- 600 calories a day.
I am 5'5
196 lbs
B-42
W- 34.5
H- 44.5

I definately carry my weight in my lower half.
Help much appreciated!

Replies

• skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You could lose 8-12lbs if you really stick to your calories and push your exercises.
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit older than you, and I started a bit lighter (at 190), but I think 1200 is too low. You are going to be starving. I know - that's where I started. With 1200. Til I got looking at what I was actually eating. Then I changed my calorie goal:

I aim for 1300 and usually get anywhere from 1300-1450. I'm losing on average 2 lbs a week (15 lbs down in 7 weeks). Some weeks I lose more (more exercise) sometimes I gain, but on average, it's about 2 lbs a week.

The higher calories gives me more energy, and then I don't panic when I eat more than my goal (like a small chocolate bar). If I exercise, I feel even better. To me, it's a win/win.
  • margarethumphreys58
    Options
    I'm a bit older than you, and I started a bit lighter (at 190), but I think 1200 is too low. You are going to be starving. I know - that's where I started. With 1200. Til I got looking at what I was actually eating. Then I changed my calorie goal:

I aim for 1300 and usually get anywhere from 1300-1450. I'm losing on average 2 lbs a week (15 lbs down in 7 weeks). Some weeks I lose more (more exercise) sometimes I gain, but on average, it's about 2 lbs a week.

The higher calories gives me more energy, and then I don't panic when I eat more than my goal (like a small chocolate bar). If I exercise, I feel even better. To me, it's a win/win.
    I was thinking that might be it because I try to eat back my excersize calories but still only end up netting about 1000, more on the weekends.
    And I thought maybe I'm not getting enough food? Because I've been at 196 for like a week but before it was constantly, albeit slowly moving down. Is it because I've upped my workouts wwithout also upping my calories?
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think your probably right. Your putting your body into the 'OMG she's not feeding me enough - gotta hang on to everything!' mode. My DH hit that when he was eating too few calories & exercising too much (not eating back the calories burned). When he started eating more, to properly fuel the body & still lose weight, it started coming off again.

If I stick around 1300-1450, I give myself a day every couple weeks where I don't watch what I'm eating so closely. I track everything, but I'll end up with around 1800 or so. And after that (for a few days, as least), the weight will drop off.

When you up your workouts, you need to make sure you're getting your basic calorie needs met. So if you're eating 1200, and burning off 400, you need to eat them back. Some people eat back half, some people eat them all. I eat until I've met my minimum of 1200.
  • margarethumphreys58
    Options
    Alright I'll try that! Thank you.. I'll try to net 1200 everyday . . You think that might do it?
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You may be able to lose two pounds a week, which will definitely put you in a good place by December! As you get closer to your goal weight, it will probably be harder to lose weight and you might have to raise your calorie allowance and slow your weight loss. I lost 15 pounds in the first year of weight loss, but the last 5-10 pounds is really stubborn, so I'm only losing .5 lb/week now.