plateau

Options
So I've been on a NASTY plateau for 2 SOLID months. It's getting VERY hard to stay on track, and stay motivated.

How long did your plateau last? Did you ever start losing again? I don't ever want to be obese again and this loss of motivation has me upset.

Thanks All,

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Notice you don't log the weekends, start doing that if those are cheat days for you.. might explain your stall
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out please post. I've been on a plateau for 3+ months. I've changed up a lot of stuff and waited 1 month each time to make sure the problem wasn't the adjustment. I'm 3 weeks into trying the gym 3 times a week (lifting heavy and doing 30 min of cardio ) and I'm up 2 lbs. Here's hoping it's muscle. I'm mostly not eating back my calories at this point. I've added calories (from 1200 a day to TDEE-20%), waited a month, nothing. I still have 70 lbs to lose so I just don't understand it. I'm ok because I know this is for life. But I really really want to start losing again and honestly would do anything that makes sense. I do not trust advice from anyone who has lost 35 lbs or less because there's definitely a honeymoon period when it's easy to drop quickly. That said, I should still be able to lose 1-2 lbs a week even after the honeymoon.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    At the risk of jinxing myself (I'm superstitious! LOL!) I hit a plateau of nearly 10 weeks over the summer. My weight fluctuated up and down the same couple of pounds, but no losses. I followed all of the advice about mixing up calorie intakes, changing up exercise, increasing exercise intensity, strength training, etc. I was frustrated but I stuck with it and I'm finally losing again, over the last 3-4 weeks or so. My best advice is to do what you know is right for you. Track everything, measure your foods so you aren't letting portions creep up, and stay active. All that being said, the best piece of advice I received was to be patient with my body. I had lost 40 lbs when my plateau hit. I read several articles that said this type of thing is very normal, and the body will reset itself periodically through the journey as you try to get to goal. I noticed lots of changes in my body composition during that time even though the scale didn't really move. My thighs, stomach, and flabby arms got tighter and my butt got a little higher. I think my body had to adjust to the changes, even though they were happening slowly and I was averaging about a pound a week losses. So, be patient, keep pushing, and don't give up!! I have lost nearly 48 lbs so far and I want to lose about 16 more. Good luck on your journey!!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was on a 2 1/2 month plateau- I understand your frustration! I finally broke out of it by changing up my exercise- I started out running outside 3 days/week and doing some strength training videos. I joined the gym and started using some other cardio machines and after a week or two in the gym, I finally saw another loss. You just have to keep at it and know that even if the scale isn't moving, you are doing something great for yourself and it will eventually show!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Two year plateau here. Finally started losing again, 8 pounds in 3 weeks. So, when you hit 2 years, you'll know it's almost over. :happy:
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Two year plateau here. Finally started losing again, 8 pounds in 3 weeks. So, when you hit 2 years, you'll know it's almost over. :happy:

Well congrats on not giving up!! Sent friend request :flowerforyou:
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your workout routine is - but try something new. If you walk, try aerobics. If you already do some sort of HIIT, try high volume / slow paced body weight exercises.

I don't really want to comment on your eating habits without knowing the whole story - but try eating some more fat and some less carbs. Just a little tweak. Also try increasing your calories by a few hundred for a few days. Then go back to normal.

I guess the main idea here is to just keep your body on its toes.