Does anyone like ab workouts?

Options
That's pretty much it. Just wondering if anyone actually enjoys doing abdominal exercises. I'd rather run 10 miles than do 5 minutes of crunches. I cannot get motivated, I'll think about it and stare at the floor but I never get down there and do any crunches. Any tips on ow to get some inspiration?

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Well, you don't NEED to do them. So if you don't like them then maybe you should find something you do like (not being snarky but the internet obscures intent). Lifting weights will strengthen your core and losing fat will expose the abs.... without a single crunch!
  • Topself
    Topself Posts: 24
    Options
    I have to say that I do, but I don't just do the normal crunches. I make sure I put them into my lifts, as in core and also between my lifts depending on what training day it is. If you just do simple lifts, it is not enough abdominal work to strengthen what is needed for your core. Sure, you will see ab's, but you will still be weak in a lot of areas.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    There is a kettle bell one that I love - you lie on your back, hold the kettle bell in one hand, then lift up like a sit up and punch to the opposite side. I love those!
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I don't NEED to do them, but I've lost about 30 pounds and seem to enjoy leg lifts/machines and tolerate push ups but my tummy definitely needs some toning! When I look in the mirror I'm happy with what I'm seeing except I have no definition in my abs. I know that should be motivation enough (I was motivated to start running 5 miles a few times a week to loose weight) but I hate even the thought of doing them. I don't don't like being one of those people that know what I need to do but just don't do it, but I obviously am, lol. Just wondering if there's any "fun" ab workouts that could get me started.

Yes, the obvious answer here is that my stomach is so weak it's incredibly hard to start.. Again, just looking for motivation I guess..
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Love heavy resistance training abs workouts, yes they work. Building bigger ab muscles makes them more easy to see.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do "traditional ab exercises", to have a strong core ... Actually, "traditional ab exercises" don't really give you a whole lot of functional strength .. I personally like doing a full body workout on my Pilates reformer ... none of the moves are specifically for abs, they all involve at least on other body part/muscle group ...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I don't NEED to do them, but I've lost about 30 pounds and seem to enjoy leg lifts/machines and tolerate push ups but my tummy definitely needs some toning! When I look in the mirror I'm happy with what I'm seeing except I have no definition in my abs. I know that should be motivation enough (I was motivated to start running 5 miles a few times a week to loose weight) but I hate even the thought of doing them. I don't don't like being one of those people that know what I need to do but just don't do it, but I obviously am, lol. Just wondering if there's any "fun" ab workouts that could get me started.

Yes, the obvious answer here is that my stomach is so weak it's incredibly hard to start.. Again, just looking for motivation I guess..

You can do 10,000 crunches a day, but if you don't lower your overall bf percent you won't have any "tone" in your abdominals. Isolated ab exercises aren't needed, and IMHO do little for "toning" the midsection.

Tiger knows what's up.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love all core workouts that include the huge yoga ball or a bosu ball lol I just think they are really fun to use... try those?
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I love love love my pilates for core.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Blogilates, she does really challenging and fun workouts that have a lot of abdominal focus, because she is a Pilates instructor. All of her videos are free on YouTube, I recommend starting with her Beginners Calendar (it will hurt!)
    http://www.blogilates.com/calendar/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good suggestion! That's something hadn't thought about!
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do yoga twice a week. I really can't stand crunches.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    LOVE them because I have strength like a beast in my abs. I can't really see much definition yet, but I include it in my workouts to build overall lean muscle mass.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I love working abs through belly dance! That's definitely fun and challenging (in a non-boring way). The big ladies you see belly dancing probably have excellent looking abs, too. How much weight you have still determines how much you see them.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's a love/hate relationship for me.
  • 123janea
    123janea Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love zumba abs its about 20 minutes but you never lay on the floor. Bonus for me:smile:
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hasfit.com
    Click all workouts, then home workouts, then abs

It's a lot more than just crunches and I find them to be motivating and enjoyable
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    People hate doing legs, I hate doing ab/core exercises. Maybe because I have a quite weak abs.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Not me
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I do, but I don't just do the normal crunches. I make sure I put them into my lifts, as in core and also between my lifts depending on what training day it is. If you just do simple lifts, it is not enough abdominal work to strengthen what is needed for your core. Sure, you will see ab's, but you will still be weak in a lot of areas.

I agree with this, although I don't really love working abs. 4 kids (3 very close together) made my stomach area very weak. Much stronger now though since lifting.