Fibromyalgia

Options
I have fibromyalgia. It is really hard working out when my body is hurting and will hurt probably 3x more than the average person after a workout.

Any advice on cardio I can do that is easy on muscles and joints?

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have fibro too and have been doing wii fit and leslie sansone's walking dvd's. The wii fit doesn't hurt much but the walking dvd's do give me some hip pain after. However, since I have stopped, I stil have hip pain so I have picked it back up again. I usually only do one mile workouts which are 15 mins of walking. They are done in home so it is nice. I'd rather be skinny and sore with fibro than overweight with fibro. Just do a slower pace if you need to, you can customize it with her videos.

Hope that helps.
  • Kandy4mel
    Kandy4mel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    if possible you could see if there are any aquacise/aquafit classes in your area. some exercises are easier to do in water. i have done it and loved it.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    i live with RA and Fibro. The pain lessens as you get slimmer since you have less heft to carry around on top of battling the fibro. If it's bad, take an Advil PRIOR to workout. Seems to help me with the recovery. But don't stop. You will be hurting yourself more if you do nothing....
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh and stretch stretch and stretch some more before and after your excercise. Start slow and don't push it.
  • jlorren
    jlorren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia, I also have chronic fatigue and hypothyroid. During the summer I did alot of swimming. Now I use the hot tub and walk in place, do arm rows and scissor kicks. I also do walking, I started out slow and I keep increasing it a little at a time. I also do the wii fit and sometimes leslie sansones walking dvds. Start out slow and increase slowly. I got to the point where I quit doing any form of movement inless it was absolutely neccessary and I was still in pain all the time so I decided I was in pain anyway so at least I would feel better if I lost some weight. I have lost 28lbs so far and I do feel alot better most days. I hope this helps , feel free to add me
  • kapper
    kapper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another Fibro sufferer here. Usually I walk the treadmill and do light housework etc. My flairs have been a bit intense lately and right now I am on complete couch rest. I try to do some arm exercises while sitting on the couch and remember that in a few days/weeks I can get back to doing the exercise. I also agree fibro without the extra weight is much easier to handle. Just make sure not to get down on yourself. It will take longer than normal, but THAT IS OKAY!! Please feel free to add me.
  • kapper
    kapper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another Fibro sufferer here. Usually I walk the treadmill and do light housework etc. My flairs have been a bit intense lately and right now I am on complete couch rest. I try to do some arm exercises while sitting on the couch and remember that in a few days/weeks I can get back to doing the exercise. I also agree fibro without the extra weight is much easier to handle. Just make sure not to get down on yourself. It will take longer than normal, but THAT IS OKAY!! Please feel free to add me.

Accidently posted on DH's account, I will post a little tidbit underneath. Feel free to add DH is you want, he lives with it daily also through me...
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here I am, the real Fibro sufferer, that's what I get for helping DH with his entries. But everything I said is true. WE are all here for you with as many suggestions and answers we can give you.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Don't have fibro, but I have lupus/RA along with a ton of other stuff....best timing so far has been to take my pain medication (Arthrotec) about 20 minutes before doing anything. I also take my steroid at the same time, since that's around when I get that little energy "boost".

Very important to stretch before and after...a good 10 minutes at least. Also try taking a warm shower after your workout...if you can't, continue slow movements/stretches until you've cooled down SLOOOOWLY. Cooling too quickly will make your muscles tighter.

Good luck, and we're here for you!
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia along with hypothyroid, and chronic fatigue. I struggle with pain during exercise but know I need to get the weight off. I also am exhausted afterwards and many times take naps for several hours. I take my dog for short walks 2-3 times a day. I sometimes swim too. A YMCA or gym would have classes specifically designed for those who deal with pain.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have lupus. Which is similar to Fibromyalgia and when I started working out 2 years ago 90% of my pain and symptoms just dissapeared. Now that I'm really counting calories and watching my diet, I only expect things to improve. I hope you find that as your body gets used to doing more physical activity, it stops hurting as much.

And I'd just like to say GOOD for you! It's so hard to make a commitment like this with an autoimmune disorder! Great work!
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro too- I am on Cymbalta and that helps me A LOT! I walk a lot and start slowly and then increase my speed. I also find that doing several shorter clips of exercise in a day makes it easier. I walk 15-20 minutes in the morning and then do a Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD in the evening. If you have access to a pool, water areobics is wonderful for fibro- just walking in the water around and around the pool is great exercise.
  • SlimNana48
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia, & I live in Indiana were the weather changes at least 3 times in a day. So depending on that it’s not if I’ll be in pain but how much pain. I a walking DVD by Leslie Sansone & she has many different ones to chose from. I also use Denise Austin at times when I really fill good. I’ve started working out a health club 3 days a week and on 1 day of that I take a Aqua Zumba class. That class is wonderful I leave the water in a good sweat. In the last 3 weeks that I’ve been doing that I’ve felt so much better the next few days.

I’ve been working out with a slow walk for about 30 mins at a slow pace from there I have increased my speed that now I can walk a mile & a half in about 20 or 25 mins. at a very brisk pace. I was at a point in my life that I did do anything because of the pain & on day I made up in my mind that I was in pain if I did anything or not. So I chose to not allow this to rob me of my life if I was going to hurt it was going to be a payoff in the end with me being smaller. So thus far I’ve vent from 220 to 206, it may not seem like a lot but for me it a big deal. I still hurt but I can move a litter easier & by next year I’m believing in Faith that I’ll be pain free. I pray that you will find so relief from the pain that you feel daily. I you like you can add me as a pail. :smile: