Help me figure out what to get off the menu?

Options
I'm going out to dinner tomorrow night with my boyfriend for our 6 month anniversary. I'm trying to figure out now what to order tomorrow. I've already decided on the Surf & Turf Appetizer and am estimating it's roughly 280 calories (actually, probably 300 depending on what the shrimp is cooked in).

Anyway, I want to eat a bigger meal than that and am considering ordering either another appetizer, soup, salad, or side order. Of the choices on this menu what would you get to try to not get the total calories going over ~600.

IRON_menuDinner11-09.jpg

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Oh man, now I want steak! LOL

Here's the thing. It is a special meal, so you should give yourself a little bit of leeway. Eat way healthy all day to save up your calories for dinner and get in a good work out too. That way, you should be able to get something you WANT and will enjoy.

Steak is generally not a bad option IF you don't eat the whole thing- like the filet, just don't eat all 8 oz. of it. Maybe your boyfriend will share it with you or you can give the leftovers to a dog or cat (we always take home steak leftovers for my cat! lol). As long as you don't get it with any sauces they don't/can't do too much to it to ruin your calorie intake.
  • eharvey
    eharvey Posts: 32
    Options
    Im going the protein route and would like to order the small filet medium well, vegetables (dry) and rice. Some teriyaki on the side just incase id like to put a bit of extra flavor on something. happy 6 months!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Oh man, now I want steak! LOL

Here's the thing. It is a special meal, so you should give yourself a little bit of leeway. Eat way healthy all day to save up your calories for dinner and get in a good work out too. That way, you should be able to get something you WANT and will enjoy.

Steak is generally not a bad option IF you don't eat the whole thing- like the filet, just don't eat all 8 oz. of it. Maybe your boyfriend will share it with you or you can give the leftovers to a dog or cat (we always take home steak leftovers for my cat! lol). As long as you don't get it with any sauces they don't/can't do too much to it to ruin your calorie intake.

I'm actually really liking the surf and turf idea because it's shrimp and steak! It's only a little bit yea, but I actually think too much meat in my stomach at this point is just going to be uncomfortably heavy, haha.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    I would ate maybe a baked potatoe and green beans or tomatoe, or maybe soup and an artichoke. Have fun happy anniversary
  • jimbodan
    Options
    Sorry not a whole lot of help here, but I did recognize the menu! Is that Iron Steaks in Sacramento? If so let me know how it was, I was debating trying it but decided on Roxy instead and I was kind of regarding not picking Iron Steaks instead.

As for your question, I'd try to pick something lean like the Fillet or maybe try the Wagyu
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Forget calories! now that I've read the menu I want the cognac over ice cream. I'm not even an ice cream fan, but with cognac...

I know I'm no help, but happy anniversary!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Sorry not a whole lot of help here, but I did recognize the menu! Is that Iron Steaks in Sacramento? If so let me know how it was, I was debating trying it but decided on Roxy instead and I was kind of regarding not picking Iron Steaks instead.

As for your question, I'd try to pick something lean like the Fillet or maybe try the Wagyu

It is! I will definitely let you know how it is.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    I had a similar dilemna a coupe of weeks ago! Went out for a special meal with my boyfriend, went to a turkish restaurat so lots of meat, rice and salad on the menu. I ate mega healthy all day, porridge made with water and skimmed milk for breakfast, homemade soup (basically just blended up vegetables and stock) and had a good workout so earned about 500 extra calories too...... then I chose exactly what I wanted and didnt feel guilty! Had a starter and a main course and a couple of bacardi and cokes! and didnt actually go badly over my calories....I think that as its a special occassion you should enjoy yourself. Obviously not go mad and order evrything on the menu, but choose something you really want. After all this is supposed to be a lefestyle change and you cant deny yourself occasional treats forever! Have fun :-)
  • joleanrook
    Options
    If you like lobster (I don't) then get that!! VERY few calories. Just skip all that butter sauce garbage.
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/nutrition/All_Foods/Fish/Lobster.html

Add to it the mixed greens salad - dressing on the side.
    If you want soup go with the minestrone NOT a bisque or cream soup!
    A small dry filet would be great too.
    Skip out on the bread that night and then skip out on carbs all together the next day... on day 3 go back to eating as normal (this will reduce water retention from the sodium you will likely get.)

Happy Anniv!!!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    YUMMMMMMMMMMMM! i would do the salmon!!! yummmmmm! im salivating!!! lol
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I say go for whatever...this is what I do when I go out...I just work my butt off when I get home (literly! you should see my bumm...it has been worked off! lol) Just go out to eat but before hand walk some miles or do some strength training for about an hour and I bet you'll have around 600 cals that you can use towards that meal :) Happy 6 months and enjoy! :)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    maybe the ratatouli (spl?) basically roasted/sauted veggies and then maybe some of the icecream for dessert. they will probably have bread too remember.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would go with the porterhouse steak, done rare with veggies and no potatoes... but that is probably one of my downfalls :noway:

But like joleen said... Lobster is quite healthy as long as you avoid the butter.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    :drinker: Enjoy your dinner.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Is there a website where you can see if there are Nutritional Facts?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Is there a website where you can see if there are Nutritional Facts?

There isn't.
  • clovebud
    Options
    My vote is for the lobster!!! Yum.