Need advice on why I feel like i'm starving at night.

Options
I will wake up in the morning and drink my coffee and have a protein bar. After that I am not hungry at all during the day. I know I need to eat, so I make myself eat. It's healthy food. Even around dinner time, which is 5 or 5:30 I'm still not hungry. So I eat and then feel super full. About 7 Pm my stomach starts to growl and I feel like I haven't eaten all day. I try and just drink water to see if it's thirst and that doesn't help. I don't ever eat because I know I ate during the day and I ate enough. I just don't know why this is happening. It just started about a week ago. I started eating right and losing weight almost 5 weeks ago. Any advice?
Thanks!

Replies

• wmedwards12
    wmedwards12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find I get hungry in the evenings too, it's okay to have a light snack at night to keep the hunger at bay.. at least that's what my trainer tells me. Maybe it's the combination of foods, protein bar for breakfast doesnt' really sound that healthy, why not try switching breakast to a breakfast smoothie or egg white omlette... or maybe it's when you are home doing nothing (like me) you get bored and just want to eat.. Are you working out or exercising as well, cause maybe your metabolism is changing and you need to eat more. That's just my thoughts, I am not a professional and am working hard to try and lose my extra pounds.. it's a learning experience that's for sure.. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    I started walking, but haven't done it everyday. I get up at like 5:30 am for work and I'm not super hungry when I wake up, but by 7 I want something to tie me over, so that's why I have the protein bar. When I have time I will make an egg white omelette with a half of a grapefruit. I have snacked at night, but I have to be careful with that because then I feel like I want to eat more. I have really tried hard on my not snacking so much.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hi, you lost 16 pounds in five weeks? That's pretty fast, I'm not surprised you're hungry!

Perhaps try upping your calories by 250-350 a day - give yourself a little wiggle room for some supper and a hot drink. You'll lose a little bit more slowly but that way you will bypass the craving/giving in/falling off the wagon stage! :wink: Unless you have iron will power in which case - keep on!

You're doing great, btw!
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I recently read somewhere that in a study, people who ate a bowl of cereal before bedtime lost more weight. Now I know you can find studies that agree with anything you want to believe, however I decided I like this one and took it to heart. So I always save enough calories to have 1 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of skim milk with it before bedtime every night. There are plenty of other things you can eat that will make you full -- fruit, nuts, some peanut butter, glass of skim milk, etc. One thing I do not do in this journey is feel hungry. For me that's a recipe for disaster. So I carry around small snacks in my purse, desk, car, etc. I do think there's something to be said for listening to your body. Of course for some of us who have screwed up our signals, that can be tricky.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    Yes I did. I am really trying to have iron strong will power, because in the past I have given up. I don't want that this time. When I first started I found myself obsessing over my calorie intake and would freak out if It even went over 1,000. I had to sit myself down and tell myself to stop. So I relaxed on that. I still catch myself doing it sometimes. I'm just confused because I'm eating throughout the day. Maybe you are right about not eating enough though. I still have issues if I see I have ate 1,200 calories. I know that's totally ok to eat that much, but I don't want to give up again. So I feel like I eat too much if I eat that. So that's an issue I am trying to work on.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    This will probably come off as mean, but stop forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. Eat at night when you are hungry.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    I hate getting hungry because I get triggered migraines, and if I get too hungry and will get one. I do carry around the Luna protein bars. I really like those, but I do like the cereal idea. Thanks!
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    It's totally not mean. I thought I needed to eat. Isn't it bad to just eat a huge meal for dinner?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it possibly you're so hungry because your daily deficit is too high?

(That's my guess, but will admit I'm missing some of the necessary facts.)
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    That could be it. I don't usually make it to 1,200 calories. I'm still learning to feel like its ok to eat that. Am I crazy? lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That could be it. I don't usually make it to 1,200 calories. I'm still learning to feel like its ok to eat that. Am I crazy? lol

You almost certainly should make it to at least 1200. I suspect you should make it to an even higher number (but again, don't have all the details).

And no, I don't think you're crazy...(or at least what you've posted in this thread doesn't lead me to believe that). Your story isn't unique/crazy...which is good news, because there are a lot of people here who have been where you are and have found their way through it. I suspect most of them did it by working with a smaller deficit (aka eating more than you're currently eating).
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's totally not mean. I thought I needed to eat. Isn't it bad to just eat a huge meal for dinner?

No
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    Now that I think about it that is probably why I am hungry at night. So I just need to work through the fear of eating and realize that 1,200 calories is not too much. Thanks! I've just had this addiction to food my whole life, so I feel if I eat too much I will just fall back to what I use to do. It was not good.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

You aren't crazy, but it's a common misconception to think that if you eat a little you'll lose weight. My weight started stalling the less I ate. Look up the whole TDEE/BMR thing. Seriously.

However, IF you're completely stuck on eating less than 1200 calories a day, i would work harder on spacing out your meals a bit more. For example... eat lunch at 2 or 3 then eat dinner around 7 or 8, so you can have a snack or tea around 9 and then you can go to bed.
  • Chelseylynn11
    Options
    I don't mind eating 1,200 calories a day. I just need to get over the fear of failing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like eating later so i save my calories for later in the day, since that's when I want them most.

It makes me happy and I stress less about food.

I have coffee for breakfast, lol mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

No it is NOT bad to eat a huge meal for supper or even to eat before bed. I sleep best with a full stomach. I get in most of my calories at night since I intermittent fast. My body likes it just fine. In fact, the advice to eat mini meals all day is a big FAIL for someone like me. (Personally, I wouldn't recommend cereal and skim milk at any time of day, but whatever.)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Consider raising your calories to something higher then to reduce the risk of failing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I will wake up in the morning and drink my coffee and have a protein bar. After that I am not hungry at all during the day. I know I need to eat, so I make myself eat. It's healthy food. Even around dinner time, which is 5 or 5:30 I'm still not hungry. So I eat and then feel super full. About 7 Pm my stomach starts to growl and I feel like I haven't eaten all day. I try and just drink water to see if it's thirst and that doesn't help. I don't ever eat because I know I ate during the day and I ate enough. I just don't know why this is happening. It just started about a week ago. I started eating right and losing weight almost 5 weeks ago. Any advice?
    Thanks!

Well if you're not hungry at 5-5:30 don't eat then. Wait until 7 or 8 to eat.