Need advice on why I feel like i'm starving at night.

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I do have a scale. I just make sure it's perfect. Like I said I have kind of caught myself being OCD this time.

OK.

I'd also suggest a few tweaks for your diary:

1) Stop tracking sugar. Sugar is irrelevant. Track fiber instead.
    2) Stop tracking sodium. Sodium is irrelevant (unless you have high blood pressure). Track calcium instead. Calcium is very important.
    3) Up your protein goal to 20% or 25%. Protein is filling and helps preserve lean mass. Treat this as a minimum - your goal is to get at least that much protein a day.
    4) Treat fat as a minimum as well. You can't really consume too much dietary fat. Fat is delicious and more filling in general than carbs, and consuming fat is very good for hormone levels, brain function, and skin and nails.

This is my approach as well (ideally). And if you have 147 pounds to lose then you really do need to eat more.

^ all of the above. You're on the right track!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And OP, I'd like to commend you for your attitude through this so far, at least from what I've seen in this thread. You posted your problem, you provided follow-up information as requested, you (seemingly) listened to the feedback and developed a plan based on it. (Some more unsolicited advice from me: whatever the ultimate plan you decide on from this thread, stick to it for a while...say, six weeks...and then evaluate your progress.)

Anyhow, this is seemingly rare in the MFP forums. I just wanted to let you know that I found it refreshing. And I truly believe this positive attitude of yours will go a long way towards helping you reach your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    With 150 lbs to lose, you can eat SO much more and still lose. I know you want to lose weight as quickly as possible, but punishing your body by barely eating is not the way to do it. The weight loss will be slower, but it will be sustainable and permanent. I would suggest calculating your TDEE here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Most people eat about 15-20% less than that. I think you'll find you won't be as hungry at night with the opportunity to eat more food.

I know it can seem scary to eat more and you're afraid you wont lose weight, but you want to try and lose on the most calories possible. Once you hit a plateau in weight loss you might need to cut more calories to maintain losing.. at 700 calories a day you have nothing to cut from. It seems like you're open to advice and you've gotten a lot of great help here :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And OP, I'd like to commend you for your attitude through this so far, at least from what I've seen in this thread. You posted your problem, you provided follow-up information as requested, you (seemingly) listened to the feedback and developed a plan based on it. (Some more unsolicited advice from me: whatever the ultimate plan you decide on from this thread, stick to it for a while...say, six weeks...and then evaluate your progress.)

Anyhow, this is seemingly rare in the MFP forums. I just wanted to let you know that I found it refreshing. And I truly believe this positive attitude of yours will go a long way towards helping you reach your goals. :flowerforyou:

100% agreed. This cannot be overstated. Your willingness to listen to others and take advice as well as criticism is astonishingly rare. You've got the right attitude for success here.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The medical weight loss docs (like those who guide WLS patients and those who choose to go without surgery) always advice to make protein your first goal. My doc said to start the day with 30 (minimum) to 40 (optimal) grams of protein with breakfast and make sure to get at least 100-120g protein throughout the day to maintain satiety and keep myself from getting hungry. Protein works, but you need more of it all day!

Upping your calories shouldn't hurt you. I am losing crazy weight (51 lbs in 8 weeks) eating a gross 1800-2000 cal a day, netting 1500 and eating my exercise calories back. I have a long way to go too, and so far, this is working great. When my calories dip too low, I do stall. I know I would still lose at a lower intake, but why cut myself unnecessarily low when I need the nutrition and the higher calories keep me on track better than starvation?

Don't be afraid to raise your calories. And if you gain a pound or two, don't freak. It's almost ALWAYS temporary water weight due to sodium, sugar or hormones as long as you haven't varied your compliance.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I know! I feel like we're getting a present with this one. A reward for the myriad who come in and fight, get defensive and ragequit?
  • Tigerbell1221
    Options
    Hi Chelseylynn,

I used to have that problem and it came down to I just simply was not eating enough earlier in the day........and throughout the day for that matter. I know you say you are having a protein bar but I am really wondering if that is enough calories. Also, If you are at a 1200 calorie a day limit, you simply are not eating enough period. I'm fairly certain that that falls under your BMI (which I would urge you to find out) and if that is the case, your body is probably thinking that you are trying to starve it. As scary as it seems, I eat at least 1600 a day in addition to extra calories for all the exercise I do that day. Yes, you do need to eat those back also..........your body needs fuel. If you deprive it of the basic calories it needs such as going under your BMI, it will scream. I know I never wanted to eat early in the day, but I made myself consume a decent breakfast and lunch with snacks in between and things really got better. Yes, you will lose weight, once your body gets used to the idea that you actually are going to eat properly and stick with it. Good luck! Remember, their are no short cuts!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Hi Chelseylynn,

I used to have that problem and it came down to I just simply was not eating enough earlier in the day........and throughout the day for that matter. I know you say you are having a protein bar but I am really wondering if that is enough calories. Also, If you are at a 1200 calorie a day limit, you simply are not eating enough period. I'm fairly certain that that falls under your BMI (which I would urge you to find out) and if that is the case, your body is probably thinking that you are trying to starve it. As scary as it seems, I eat at least 1600 a day in addition to extra calories for all the exercise I do that day. Yes, you do need to eat those back also..........your body needs fuel. If you deprive it of the basic calories it needs such as going under your BMI, it will scream. I know I never wanted to eat early in the day, but I made myself consume a decent breakfast and lunch with snacks in between and things really got better. Yes, you will lose weight, once your body gets used to the idea that you actually are going to eat properly and stick with it. Good luck! Remember, their are no short cuts!

BMR, not BMI. But yes, find your BMR and eat above it.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

100% agreed. This cannot be overstated. Your willingness to listen to others and take advice as well as criticism is astonishingly rare. You've got the right attitude for success here.

I agree too.
    It was quite refreshing and helpful to read the advice given. No trolls and sarcasm. Superb support and advice given to to the OP.
    ????
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Completely agree! Love your attitude to it all and love your approach.

Starting out is one thing, keeping the resolve long term is another. In my experience, and the experience of so many people I know, keeping yourself on such a restricted amount of calories is not sustainable. I really had to learn that I needed to eat food in order to lose weight because without it, I couldn't function properly and I was a moody b*tch because I was literally denying my body the energy it needed...and forget about exercising!

Can I tell you a bit of a story? I hope it gives you some faith that eating more is ok. Please note: all calorie numbers are NET, not gross.

I am 176cm (5'10") and I have lost 69kg (152lbs) since March last year. I weighed in at the start at 140kg (308lbs). I chose to lose 1.5lbs per week and I was given a calorie goal of 1900+ calories! At that weight, I was losing 1kg (2.2lbs) per week on average and I was doing little to no exercise because I could barely walk. I followed what MFP told me to do as a goal to a tee. And in 52 weeks, I lost 51kg (112 lbs). When I got to that 12 month anniversary, at 89kg (196lbs) I was at a daily calorie goal of 1600+ calories (on a 1.5lb/wk deficit) AND I WAS STILL LOSING! I changed my calorie goal at this point to 1lb/wk because I wanted to be able to eat more again, and I knew this was going to be sustainable for the long haul. And I ate back most, if not all, of the calories I burned exercising.

Currently, at 70.9kg (156 lbs) I fluctuate between 0.5lb/wk and maintenance as my calorie goals, depending on how I am feeling that day or week. On the former, I'm at 1590 cal/day. On the latter, I am at 1860 cal/day. Yep, at 1590 cal/day I am still losing weight. And this has been a complete lifestyle change for me. It's sustainable!

Does this make sense? We're bombarded with "lose 25lbs in x number of days" messages. But it should not be about how fast we can lose weight... It should be about how we can get our relationship with food ok and our nutrition understood and our exercise enjoyable and doable. And that can't be done if you crash diet your calories so low that you can't sustain it and you feel sick and miserable. I echo what another poster has said. In this journey, I don't do "hungry". If I'm hungry, I eat. It's my body telling me it needs food. Insisting that it functions without said food is like insisting my car runs without petrol...ain't going to happen. I get physically ill, nausea, headaches/migraines (in the extreme cases), dizziness, etc if I don't eat enough. I respect myself more than to put myself through all that.

If you've read this far, yay!!! I hope it's given you some faith that eating more is ok and that in fact it is actually what you need to do in order to make this sustainable and to avoid failure. Fill your calories with good food that will give you longer lasting energy, but save some for the little treats you enjoy. I have not once turned down chocolate, and I budget for it every day. :) This is about life, and life is meant to be enjoyed.

Best wishes!!
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This mfp topic might help - TOPIC: For ladies who EAT (a lot) and are actually losing weight

You could search that entire topic name to.find it

I had been eating too few calories for years thinking I was doing the right thing to lose weight. Weight always came back.I really screwed up my metabolism. It took a leap of faith - but I now know it's safe to eat more to lose weight- dont eat below your BMR

You're doing great - im sure a strong willed.peraon like you will succeed :) good luck!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yes I did. I am really trying to have iron strong will power, because in the past I have given up. I don't want that this time. When I first started I found myself obsessing over my calorie intake and would freak out if It even went over 1,000. I had to sit myself down and tell myself to stop. So I relaxed on that. I still catch myself doing it sometimes. I'm just confused because I'm eating throughout the day. Maybe you are right about not eating enough though. I still have issues if I see I have ate 1,200 calories. I know that's totally ok to eat that much, but I don't want to give up again. So I feel like I eat too much if I eat that. So that's an issue I am trying to work on.

Not trying to be mean, but if you don't want to fail again, this time, you best quit starving yourself! I know you're probably not doing it intentionally, just not enough info. Please eat! Lol. You can add me. I was very big at one time. Have been as big as 260lb's. You can see my before and after pics in my profile pics. :) I eat girl! :wink: I have also done the 1,200 calorie thing, and failed, and gained back whatever I lost, and then some! Don't do it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. Newbie wants help, gets great advice and then actually follows it. Usually it turns into a defensive cat fight.

I'm not going to bother reiterating all of the good things already stated because you seem to have taken them to heart. I just want to reinforce the idea that you have to find a sustainable long-term happy medium. You've got 3-5 years ahead of you to reach your goal, no one on the PLANET has the willpower and fortitude to starve and suffer for that long. That's why you have to find a middle ground where you're not killing yourself with unreasonable deficits, but you're also still making progress. In fact, I try to eat as much as I possibly can while still losing some/any weight. It's so much more sustainable long-term. For example, right now I'm only losing .4lbs/week on average and I think that's just great.

It takes time and some trial and error for sure, but you will get it nailed down eventually.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I agree too.
    It was quite refreshing and helpful to read the advice given. No trolls and sarcasm. Superb support and advice given to to the OP.
    ????

I was just about to make a post to the effect of the first (albeit less eloquently). It just goes to show that the willingness of the OP to take advice can 'set the tone' of the entire thread.

OP: try to be consistent, do this in a way that is sustainable and be patient - you will get there.

Dropping this in here for a read (it is in line with the advice you have been given)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: if/when you do up your calories, I would suggest that you do it slowly. You may have a small pop or slowing of the scale - it is not fat so do not panic - it will just be food/water weight that masks your 'real' weight loss and which will stabilize.
  • MissHoney26
    MissHoney26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    partly commenting so I know to come back and read the whole thread...

I have the same problem, I wake up and I'm on the go, satisfied by a snack or a coffee with heavy cream until night, then suddenly it hits me when I get sleepy...

normally I sleep best without food in my stomach - even the carbless meal keeps me awake..

so its a problem for me not eating enough or sleeping enough!

the worst part is, I try to fill up on water and it just makes me even more sleepless from going to the bathroom. lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating? You may be eating too low. And some people don't get hungry until later. Don't make yourself eat when you aren't hungry, since you can just enjoy those calories later when you actually want them.
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This will probably come off as mean, but stop forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. Eat at night when you are hungry.

Ditto! He said MY answer! LOL
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 for a while and it worked well, but I was getting a little hungry/grouchy/stressed in the evenings because I wanted to eat- and I can't sleep when I'm hungry! Now I've added a ~200 cal "midnight snack" to my calories so I average 1400, and I'm much happier. I have that to look forward to after dinner! My loss rate has barely changed (still ~2 lbs a week), which is weird but awesome! Make yourself happy- your healthy lifestyle shouldn't be torture!

My late-night snack is often high-fiber cereal with almond milk- I try to make it filling. Or even fruit I can munch on in front of the TV. I just made a healthy crustless pumpkin pie- I'm having a slice of that with 1/4 cup pumpkin ice cream tonight for 200 cal snack! soo looking forward to it!
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Snack idea: green beans, very low cal, can eat em right out of the can and you'd be surprised how quick you can learn to like em cold as a snack! Like others have said: try eating when you are hungry,. since eating at scheduled times instead of being hunger driven isn't working out for you. Go ahead and eat but only eat low cal things. Fiber items like green beans, carrots etc. will help you feel fuller. And maybe 700-800 is too low for you! The mad hunger attacks are your body's way of sayin hey!ougone too far! Be strong, go walk or read or play a game or whatever you have to \do to get your mind off of food. S'all I got for ya! LOL Hang in there!