Need help getting motivated...again

Options
Hi all,

I gained 15-20kg last year over the course of 2-3 months, thanks to a medication I was on (Avanza), and haven't been able to lose all of it yet.

I still don't exercise, and have a junk food addiction that I just can't shake. I tried quitting cold turkey, I tried one 'cheat' day a week, didn't work. I have high cholesterol and while it is partially due to genetics, my weight isn't helping.

Right now I am 164cm (5'4") and 77kg (169lb), I want to get down to 65kg (143lb) maximum, but I need help getting motivated! And advice on what to do about the junk food, and exercise that is enjoyable (and free) would really help, thanks!

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My advice: Incorporate the 'junk' food into a healthy and sustainable lifestyle and don't worry about good or bad, clean or unclean foods. Read these links (if you haven't already) and figure out your calorie goals for a reasonable deficit and set your macro goals for your overall health. Then, find an exercise you enjoy, (or hate the least :wink: ) for your overall fitness. Log consistently, weigh and measure everything, and be patient.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

Edit: try YouTube for free exercise videos. Fitnessblender is awesome. Their kickboxing ones are my favourite.
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    Thanks for your help! I will read those now :smile:
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser starts this Tuesday. It gets me working out every season...
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    I don't think we get the American Biggest Loser on any of our channels but I agree watching that is a great motivator!
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    You can watch it on youtube, at least older seasons

https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingRaceKnowitall/search?query=biggest

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBproduction101/search?query=biggest

I like supersize vs superskinny better, it gives more information on why a diet isn't good at both ends of the scale.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ErmmTV/search?query=supersize
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What's your true reason for losing weight? Dig deep and figure that out and that will keep you motivated. When I was overweight I hardly ever played with my son because I was too lazy. I decided I hated that. I did this so I could be the fun mom who runs around playing silly games like cops and robbers. Then there's the stuff I didn't think of...my son and I (who is 7) now run together sometimes, play tennis and he even likes to lift weights a little (that we keep to a minimum because I don't want him to get hurt).

Trust me, there's always something more to it than wanting to look good. Figure it out.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My advice: Incorporate the 'junk' food into a healthy and sustainable lifestyle and don't worry about good or bad, clean or unclean foods. Read these links (if you haven't already) and figure out your calorie goals for a reasonable deficit and set your macro goals for your overall health. Then, find an exercise you enjoy, (or hate the least :wink: ) for your overall fitness. Log consistently, weigh and measure everything, and be patient.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edit: try YouTube for free exercise videos. Fitnessblender is awesome. Their kickboxing ones are my favourite.

^^^
    This.

A lot of reading, but those posts really gave me a good foundation for how to approach my weight loss. Eat at the proper deficit, start incorporating some exercise, and work on improving your diet a bit, and you'll be on the road to success. It's totally attainable.

Agreed that youtube is full of great fitness videos, notably fitnessblender. Everything from low or high impact cardio to yoga to kickboxing and beginner to advanced strength training. I started by simply walking and building up to running everyday, with endurance as a goal over speed. Every step gets a little easier and more enjoyable. I spent years being sedentary, though I wasn't always that way, and it took a really hard push to get me out the door. But once I started moving, it was hard to stop.

You don't have to give up junk food. You can easily incorporate it into your daily calorie intake as long as you practice self control. Log everything. I cannot say that enough. Weigh it, if possible. At first, I tried to eliminate most junk food, but as I got more and more used to MFP, I realized I didn't have to as long as I didn't binge. Portion your food and log it before you eat it. Perhaps even portion your food in ziploc bags when you buy it so that you aren't tempted to go for an entire bag of chips or a whole box of cookies in one sitting. I found that logging before I ate something made me that much more accountable. I would ask myself if I was really hungry or just craving something that I didn't necessarily need. After a while, you learn what works for you. How many calories you typically consume in each meal and how much wiggle room you have left for snacking. Whenever possible, consider if there is a healthier alternative to what you're eating. If you love chocolate, think about things like granola or protein bars that can give you added fiber and protein in addition to curbing the craving. Don't deny yourself things that you love because the choices you make should be sustainable long term. Try to incorporate nutrient dense foods as often as possible, but don't beat yourself up as you begin to adjust. Protein (meat, beans, nuts), healthy fats, fruits and vegetables.

Feel free to add me if you want some help along the way.
  • srinath12
    srinath12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    amazing links and information... it took me around 40 mins to save all links and files... i think i have entered right platform ( mfp) to achieve my dream of being normal weight... inspiring
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    Thanks for the amazing advice everyone, I am so glad to be back on MFP :)
  • JacquiN90
    Options

^^^
    This.

A lot of reading, but those posts really gave me a good foundation for how to approach my weight loss. Eat at the proper deficit, start incorporating some exercise, and work on improving your diet a bit, and you'll be on the road to success. It's totally attainable.

Agreed that youtube is full of great fitness videos, notably fitnessblender. Everything from low or high impact cardio to yoga to kickboxing and beginner to advanced strength training. I started by simply walking and building up to running everyday, with endurance as a goal over speed. Every step gets a little easier and more enjoyable. I spent years being sedentary, though I wasn't always that way, and it took a really hard push to get me out the door. But once I started moving, it was hard to stop.

You don't have to give up junk food. You can easily incorporate it into your daily calorie intake as long as you practice self control. Log everything. I cannot say that enough. Weigh it, if possible. At first, I tried to eliminate most junk food, but as I got more and more used to MFP, I realized I didn't have to as long as I didn't binge. Portion your food and log it before you eat it. Perhaps even portion your food in ziploc bags when you buy it so that you aren't tempted to go for an entire bag of chips or a whole box of cookies in one sitting. I found that logging before I ate something made me that much more accountable. I would ask myself if I was really hungry or just craving something that I didn't necessarily need. After a while, you learn what works for you. How many calories you typically consume in each meal and how much wiggle room you have left for snacking. Whenever possible, consider if there is a healthier alternative to what you're eating. If you love chocolate, think about things like granola or protein bars that can give you added fiber and protein in addition to curbing the craving. Don't deny yourself things that you love because the choices you make should be sustainable long term. Try to incorporate nutrient dense foods as often as possible, but don't beat yourself up as you begin to adjust. Protein (meat, beans, nuts), healthy fats, fruits and vegetables.

Feel free to add me if you want some help along the way.

I never thought of the ziploc bags idea, that is a great idea!
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    Hi there, as for free exercise if your not normally overly active try walking. I've lost 75llb during and walking so far. I've got a really long way to go but its working so far..
    Is your junk a particular kind of food or sweet? Is it a physical addiction or could be head hungry for these foods.. I suffered head hunger for a while..its much harder to crack than a physical addiction. Try low fat milk,spreads, for starters and reduce slowly the junk items. Swop them for healthier alternatives.. It can be done. I've gone from 350llb and not being able to hardly walk to 265 llbs and walking 4 miles a day...
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    Honestly I think it is a physical addiction, I have tried quitting before, but it only lasts a day, two at most, before I am back on the junk food. It is any, although mainly sweet, I find it easier to do without chips than I do doing without lollies chocolate and Red Bull. Cutting back has lasted a week or two before, but then I have gone back up to my usual levels of eating. My doctor said that because it started out as emotional eating/self medicating with food, with getting medicated for my condition(s) eventually my desire for the foods should go down which is great.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! With walking, how much did you do to start out with, when did you increase it, by how much, etc?
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    With walking, how much did you do to start out with, when did you increase it, by how much, etc?

I did the same. My body was nowhere near conditioned for intense exercise at first. My first walk was three miles, and I felt like I was going to collapse the entire last mile. Same thing the next day. But by the end of the week, I was able to push myself up to four miles, and I didn't feel like I was going to keel over in the slightest. After that, I added about a half mile each week and incorporated HIIT (HIgh Intensity Interval Training), which has helped me condition myself back into running and is more effective for increasing your heart rate. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor to gauge how much you're actually burning. I can do over seven miles now without tiring, and that's in only two months. If you're interested in increasing the intensity and trying to work up to jogging or running, you might want to try the Zombies, Run! 5K or C25K (Couch 2 5K) apps which can help you train. I also use Runtastic to track my runs, though I've heard good things about Runkeeper. If you have a smartphone, look into some fitness apps.There are tons of free ones out there with either workout videos, like you were searching for, or ways to track your exercise and guide you through a program. The most important thing is getting active. I totally subscribe to the "eat less, move more" philosophy. Allow for 30+ (though I'd say ideally 60+) minutes a day, at least three or four times a week, and you'll start to see a difference. Just find what works for you, what you enjoy, and something that you feel like you can do consistently without it feeling like too much of a chore.
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    With walking, how much did you do to start out with, when did you increase it, by how much, etc?

I did the same. My body was nowhere near conditioned for intense exercise at first. My first walk was three miles, and I felt like I was going to collapse the entire last mile. Same thing the next day. But by the end of the week, I was able to push myself up to four miles, and I didn't feel like I was going to keel over in the slightest. After that, I added about a half mile each week and incorporated HIIT (HIgh Intensity Interval Training), which has helped me condition myself back into running and is more effective for increasing your heart rate. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor to gauge how much you're actually burning. I can do over seven miles now without tiring, and that's in only two months. If you're interested in increasing the intensity and trying to work up to jogging or running, you might want to try the Zombies, Run! 5K or C25K (Couch 2 5K) apps which can help you train. I also use Runtastic to track my runs, though I've heard good things about Runkeeper. If you have a smartphone, look into some fitness apps.There are tons of free ones out there with either workout videos, like you were searching for, or ways to track your exercise and guide you through a program. The most important thing is getting active. I totally subscribe to the "eat less, move more" philosophy. Allow for 30+ (though I'd say ideally 60+) minutes a day, at least three or four times a week, and you'll start to see a difference. Just find what works for you, what you enjoy, and something that you feel like you can do consistently without it feeling like too much of a chore.

Great thanks! I have already downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to be able to log my food and exercise wherever I am :)