my morning coffee has got to change

Options
2»

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I used to have dairy cream too. I only use half as much sugar now that I stopped drinking soda. I use powder cream and a little bit of skim milk in my coffee now. If I were you, I would look into Stevia. It's awesome!
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've actually started to wean myself off of the FF half and half. Now I take it black with a Splenda. Not ideal, but I'm working on it!
  • seamaj01
    Options
    I will add to this! I am a coffeholic! When I was pregnant.. I couldn't drink coffee.. I still ate everything in sight.. but as a result of not drinking coffee while I was pregnant.. I lost 23 lbs! Now, since I have had surgery.. I can't eat/drink anything with more than 5 gms of sugar per serving.. so I cut out the sugar/sweetner all together, and Now I use a tbsp of hazelnut creamer with my coffee.. It more than sweetens it. It is perfect!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one mentioned honey. I drink usually 2 cups of coffee a day and was never able to do so without cream & sugar. Once I started with MFP I gave up a lot of things, cream & sugar being a part of that. Now I use a tsp of honey instead. Sure, it isn't the same and doesn't taste as yummy, but when I do something I do it all out. Besides, I don't need the extra calories or SUGAR in my diet...maybe I'm extreme, but it has definitely worked for me! Good luck finding what works for you....I know it can be tough! :smile:
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    After drinking it black for a week, you will actually start to taste the actual coffee.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i add agave nectar and skim milk to my coffee :)
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Have you tried splenda to sweeten your coffee with? I find it is the only sweetener without that horrible after taste. That would cut down some of your calories.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try using stevia. It's a natural no calorie sweetener. Just don't go overboard, cause it can get bitter if you use too much. Also, have you ever tried non fat evaporated milk? It's concentrated without any fat so it's cream like, but way better. I just open a can and put it in a little ceramic creamer and it's ready for me every morning
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Do you get the satchet ones? Nescafe make them in Australia and you don't need any milk or sugar and they are already flavoured and about 40cals.
  • ElleAura
    Options
    ALSO: Caffeine makes the walls of arteries rough enabling cholesterol to cling on.... keep that in mind, might help you quit!!
    Try drinking green tea, I believe it has less caffeine, and it also boosts your metabolism :) good luck!!

2160470.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • joleanrook
    Options
    This is why I'm glad I drink my coffee black.

ME TOO!!

Years ago I couldn't drink it at all without sugar and cream, but I slowly weaned myself off because - I mean c'mon it's sugar and cream! Now I drink it black and I love it, I can actually appreciate different roasts and varieties - it opens up a whole new coffee experience. Sometimes I like to add just a pinch of McCormick pumpkin spice to my coffee, 0 sugar 0 calories but it has cinnamon, nutmeg and other flavors. YUM.

I agree with the honey suggestion too, a good organic honey is a good alternative.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I had a client try honey or real maple syrup. To sweeten it. He said it was not to bad. I am not a coffee drinker I drink strong brewed green tea.
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know that this is not a popular answer, but you should consider quitting. I grew up next to one of the best coffeeshops in Ohio, and have been a coffee drinker from a young age. If you had told me 6 months ago that I would no longer be a coffee drinker, I would have laughed at you. My first stop at work, even before I would go to my desk, would be to the break room to make a cup of coffee. I started to have some days where I would have a tight feeling in my chest, so I decided to switch to tea. I drank tea for about a month, and then decided to just switch to water. My mood is so much better, because I'm not dependent on a chemical to make me feel "right". I don't have to avoid people until I've had my cup of coffee in the morning, for fear of snapping at them and appearing a jerk. Water is so much better for you, too, and I really think it has helped me lose weight.

Just something to consider. That said, if you choose to continue drinking coffee I second what people have already posted... try no/low calorie sweeteners-- splenda, stevia, agave, honey. The sugar free creamers are good, and add some sweetness to the coffee as well. At least this way it won't be taking up 1/4 of your daily calories!

Good luck!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of blended coffee drinks. Expensive, and VERY high in calories, fat, and sugar!

Now I take instant 2-in-1 coffee. Just creamer and coffee and it is about 50 cals. Otherwise if I am getting brewed coffee, I add the little cups of cream (about 11kcals per creamer at a hotpot place I go to) and NO sugar. The creaminess of the creamer balances out the bitterness of the coffee enough that I do not want the sugar any more. It takes away from the fragrance of the coffee.

So my suggestion is to slowly cut back on the sugar (personally I do not like sugar substitutes - they leave an empty, dry feeling in my mouth and make me crave real sugar), then less cream until you find a balance between coffee and cream that you can take :) Or maybe you will eventually learn to love it black! I have not been able to do that myself though!
  • Lesliet05
    Lesliet05 Posts: 148
    Options
    Another Coffeeholic signing in, Yea can't drink mine black either, and had to cut back, I use splenda and non dairy creamer and that has helped. still taste great but not so many calories starting off the day
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    fat free h&h will save you some cals.
  • lethalbanana
    lethalbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but there's always low cal cocoa! I have 1 big cup every morning with a packet of low cal (25 cal) cocoa and skim milk and it tastes great!