Girl been weight training for a while

Options
Hi guys,

I'm new to MFP and have found it to be quite a handy wee app.

I originally signed up to the gym by advice of my doctor because I suffer from depression. I started going straight away just using the cardio machines and the occasional weight lifting. I used to be a gym freak years ago but mainly for fat loss and cardio training. Since being back at the gym I have found the cardio aspect so BORING! So I started solely working out using weights and doing circuit training.

I've been getting such a buzz everytime I can lift that bit heavier and when i notice muscle appearing on my body. So I hired a personal trainer and I have been getting stronger ever since. Nutrition is something I am working on and I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Basically, I just thought I'd post this to see if there are any keen weight lifters out there who would like to become friends on this so I can look at your regimes and hopefully get some tips from it. Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like :)

Heather

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds like you have a good routine going!

I've found that lifting heavier around 6-12 reps for exercises and trying to do more compound lifts (provided you have the space/equipment available) works pretty well for me. I've also cleaned up my diet big time compared to years ago. I eat mostly healthy foods now (less processed stuff and more produce, meats, protein, dairy, and drink only water 99% of the time).

Here's my routine as of right now. I just have a bench and dumbbells at home right now but want to get a power rack and barbells soon. All exercises are 3 sets each.

Monday:
    Dumbbell press
    Dumbbell Flyes
    Pushups
    Tricep Extension
    Front Raise
    Lateral Raise
    Shoulder Shrugs

Wednesday
    Dumbbell Row
    Pullover
    Preacher Curl
    Hammer Curl
    Squats
    Farmers Walk

Friday
    same as Monday workout

Saturday
    same as Wednesday workout

I also do cardio 2-3 times a week at the local gym near our house, about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill.

I'm trying to lose bodyfat right now so I'm eating at a 20% deficit, so around 2200-2300 calories a day for me, and eating around 150-170g of protein each day as well. I've been losing around 1 lb a week on average for the past couple months and have gone up on all my lifts so far.

How do you like having a personal trainer? I've often thought of spending the bucks to get one for a little while but never have yet. Probably depends a lot on the trainer you get and their background, etc.

Good luck with your goals!
  • heva__x
    heva__x Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks! :)

I have recently started doing more compound lifts. First started doing squats with the assisted machine but last week I tried doing squats with the 20kg free bar and I actually found it much easier. I feel it's because the bar is actually moving with you as opposed to having one line of movement to follow with the assisted. I've started adding weight, 7.5kg at the moment and I'm hoping at my next PT session I will have gotten that up to 10kg. At what pace did you feel that you were being able to add more and more weight to the bar when squatting? I love this exercise and I'm hoping that by the end of the year I will be able to do them with significantly more weight.

I'm doing dumbbell chest presses with two 12.5kg dumbbells at the moment. I feel in a couple of week I will be able to up that to 15kg in each hand.

I have only just been shown how to do a bench press by my PT recently, using the assisted machine (sorry I'm not sure of the exact name for this). I don't know the weight of the bar on this but I have been adding 7.5kg to each side so far. I'm hoping with practice I will get that up to 10kg on each side then I will try this with the free bar.

I haven't tried the dumbbell flyes yet, I have seen guys doing it in the gym and it looks tough but I will definitely need to try this soon because it looks like a very beneficial exercise.

Pushups are actually something I could not do for the life of me about 2 months ago. But with lots of work on my chest, shoulders and core I discovered last week that I could manage 2 sets of full pushups during a circuit training class. I was over the moon buy this haha.

I have never tried a tricep extension yet either, I will have to try that soon and with a low weight to see how I get on.

Front raises are usually something I do near the end of my workout. I really feel the burn with this exercise!

Same with the front raises, lateral raises are something I usually include near the end of my workout.

I have never done shoulder shrugs either, so could be an idea to incorporate that into a workout.

I think I might actually use your routine for my next upper body session. I like to mix things up a bit and have new routines to follow each time. Keep the body guessing.

I see both your workout mainly target your upper body, do you not bother with leg day? Working out my legs is probably my favourite part of training, I feel it is more challenging. I never do much cardio to be honest, some days I will do a small warm up on the treadmill but apart from that it is just my circuit training that I guess is cardio in a sense.

Do you still do your cardio days even if you are in pain from the weight lifting sessions? I was actually at the gym tonight, yesterday was leg day and they were in some pain, and was going to have a quick run on the treadmill but decided against it incase it caused my legs damage. It would be good to hear your thoughts on that?

I'm mainly trying to build muscle at the moment, although I would like to lower my body fat %. I have read so many places that it is not possible to do this, but we will see. My nutrition is not perfect but it has gotten better since downloading this app because I have not wanted to input that I had, say, a McDonalds for lunch haha. I've been consuming plenty of protein though, and trying my best to eat enough fat and carbs. I'm a very fussy eater so it's quite frustrating sometimes trying to keep up with this!

Thanks for your reply, and giving me a new training routine to try out! :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    good to hear. weight lifting is a great stress relief for me.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I"m not too good with the kg references, I think it's 2.2 lbs to 1 kg right? Haha!

I never bothered much with my legs in the past. I now do squats and plan to add in lunges as well soon. I still need to add more into my leg workout though, I agree. Maybe you can pass some ideas along for leg workouts as you progress!

It depends on what you mean by "pain". It's normal to feel muscle soreness from working out, and you could still do cardio in that case. If you have serious pains, like joint pains or shooting pains, then definitely take it easy and skip the cardio. If you're doing things right with good form then you shouldn't encounter that type of pain though, just the normal soreness from pushing yourself with the weights.

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time to a point. When you're a newbie to lifting, you can definitely do it. Once you progress past the newbie gains, it becomes harder and eventually you'll need to be at a calorie surplus to add significant muscle, though you can still get strength gains.

I'd get down to a healthy bodyfat % first and get your diet cleaned up, then when you reach that point, focus on a slight calorie surplus and push yourself on the weights to add some muscle to your frame.

Nutrition is key. The healthier you eat the better your results will be. Protein intake is important, but its also important to eat things like fruits, vegetables, drink a lot of water, cut out the pop, beer, diet sodas, etc. If you're dehydrated you wont be able to lift as much or push yourself as hard on the cardio. The fiber from the fruits and vegetables will keep you full, keep your blood sugar stable, give you a good source of energy, as well as all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Plus they'll fill you up longer with less calories than junk food.

A lot of people advocate a low carb diet, but I don't buy that. Your body needs fats, carbs, and proteins. Carbs are great for energy and when I eat carbs before a workout its generally more productive. Moderation is key. I've found that extremes generally don't work that well because its just not sustainable over the long term. I still eat some junk food and sweets now and then but I just make sure I factor that into my calorie intake for that day/week.

Sounds like you're on the right track, keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your goals!
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm new to MFP and have found it to be quite a handy wee app.

I originally signed up to the gym by advice of my doctor because I suffer from depression. I started going straight away just using the cardio machines and the occasional weight lifting. I used to be a gym freak years ago but mainly for fat loss and cardio training. Since being back at the gym I have found the cardio aspect so BORING! So I started solely working out using weights and doing circuit training.

I've been getting such a buzz everytime I can lift that bit heavier and when i notice muscle appearing on my body. So I hired a personal trainer and I have been getting stronger ever since. Nutrition is something I am working on and I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Basically, I just thought I'd post this to see if there are any keen weight lifters out there who would like to become friends on this so I can look at your regimes and hopefully get some tips from it. Feel free to send me a friend request if you would like :)

Heather

Hey heather I'm Josh. Glad to hear you found a way to battle the depression. I also suffer from depression and panic disorder and both have improved tremendously since I've been lifting regularly. I've been lifting for 10 years on and off and am making a commitment to stop the on/ off part. Been at it consistently now for 2 months while following my diet pretty religiously. I'm also a CPT personal trainer in the making. My long term goal is to be over 200lbs with a lean physique. I'm very supportive of my friends (not many at the moment I'm in the process of switching accounts), but could always use more supportive friends on here. Hope to talk to you soon I'll be sending ya a F/r in a sec here.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    weight training is much more rewarding than cardio for me too. I still do about 60-80 min a week on the treadmill, but much prefur the time spent lifting ~ even when i don't want to. Would love to share my regime with you, but its after midnight and my notes are in the home gynm(aka the barn lol). so in the light of day i will retrieve them and share my current 4 day a week plan~ chest/tricep~back/biceps~legs~shoulders. It changes every 4 weeks so I never get bored :) until morning
    Lori
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good for you in finding something that helps with your depression - and what a positive change you have made.
    My daughter suffers from depression so I can relate.

Don't beat yourself up over not having a "perfect" diet (whatever that means!). The meat in a burger has protein as well as fillet steak!
    There's loads of people on here that both enjoy their food and have great results from their training. As long as you are getting your macro and micro nutrients about right as part of a balanced diet there's no reason not to have some treats.

As for the soreness - you may well find that it reduces over time and only occurs when you add in something new. You can train through soreness but you may well find something more gentle as active recovery is better - swimming, cycling, walking for example.

Keep trying new things to keep it fresh - even after 40 years of weight training I'm still finding new ways to challenge myself, dips and pull-ups are the latest thing I'm pushing myself with.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

I like to run and lift weights. I had been doing my own thing in the gym with free weights and some resistance machines which I alternated with body pump classes. That was up until about August where I started the Stronglifts 5x5 programme. I only really have time to do 2 weights sessions most weeks so I loosely follow it as they recommend 3 sessions per week. It's quite an easy to follow programme - you do squats, bench press, over head press, bent rows and deadlift. Each workout you will do 3 of the exercises with the squat featuring every workout. The others are alternated. You do 5 sets of 5 reps and beging with a 20kg weight. Each workout you add 2.5kg(or 5lbs) to the bar and build up.

I've notice a big difference in my physique, strength and my running since I started the programme 8 weeks in and I've not even been following it strictly. If you want to add me feel free and good on you for using exercise to work through the depression. I know it helps me beat the stress and from getting too down when times are hard x
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    morning! here it is

day 1
    chest and triceps~ 4sets 8-12reps per exercise
    barbell press
    push ups - to failure (I do as many from my toes as I can then drop to knees)
    flat flyes
    incline flyes
    tricep extensions
    tricep rope press downs

day 2
    back and biceps 4 sets 8-12 reps per
    bent over barbell rows reverse grip
    dumbbell rows ~ singles
    lat pulldowns ~ narrow grip
    cable machine curls
    ezbar curls
    hammer curls

day 3
    shoulders 4 sets 8=12 reps per
    cable machine flyes lower pulley
    cable machine flyes upper pulley
    barbell shoulder press
    seated lateral raises (pause at top)

day 4
    legs 4 sets 8-12 reps per
    leg press
    squats (pause at bottom)
    leg extensions
    leg curls
    leg press calf raises

I change the order or switch up the exercises every 4 weeks so my muscles never now what will hit them next.
    Would like to add friends who lift so as to pick up tips and offer encouragement when needed. I'm 51 and if I can do this anyone can. So please add me. We can make each other stronger ~and if granny lifting doesnt make you smile .....

Lori (my diary is open if my eating habits are of interest to anyone) bang! bang ! :P
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Good to see someone else enjoying lifting and doing compound lifts, say no to cardio and isolation lifts!! Also good to do something that makes you happy. Check out stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength for some awesome information and FACTS about lifting heavy. Kill all the myths about muscle confusion and having to change things up!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    bump to read when time allows
  • heva__x
    Options
    WOW, before I reply to you all individually I just want to say THANK YOU for all the responses, support and advice! I'm overwhelmed by it! I had initially joined bodybuilding.com a couple of months ago and hardly got a response. Some of the responses I did get were negative, even though I had explained I was new to all this, they would answer my questions in such a condescending way! I joined MFP on a total whim and I am so glad I did! This has really brightened up my day, thank you everyone!!!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just finished stage 1 of The New Rules of Lifting for Women. 16 work outs in 5 weeks. You should check that out! As for cardio, the trick is intervals and lots of good music. I chase my lifting routines with a 20 minute work out on the treadmill, hill program at level 20 at 3.7 mph with a 10 pound weight belt on. Oh, and LOTS OF GOOD TUNES! Really makes a difference to the cardio bit! Good luck! You are doing AWESOME!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,

I like to run and lift weights. I had been doing my own thing in the gym with free weights and some resistance machines which I alternated with body pump classes. That was up until about August where I started the Stronglifts 5x5 programme. I only really have time to do 2 weights sessions most weeks so I loosely follow it as they recommend 3 sessions per week. It's quite an easy to follow programme - you do squats, bench press, over head press, bent rows and deadlift. Each workout you will do 3 of the exercises with the squat featuring every workout. The others are alternated. You do 5 sets of 5 reps and beging with a 20kg weight. Each workout you add 2.5kg(or 5lbs) to the bar and build up.

I've notice a big difference in my physique, strength and my running since I started the programme 8 weeks in and I've not even been following it strictly. If you want to add me feel free and good on you for using exercise to work through the depression. I know it helps me beat the stress and from getting too down when times are hard x

I also started Stronglifts 5x5 early in September. My goal is to lose weight, gain muscle (so I can eat more - love to eat), and have a simple program I can do quickly for beginners that isn't hard to follow. Glad you have a trainer, but I think there are some great youtube videos to teach proper form that are a nice reinforcement. There's a Stronglifts group for ladies on here with links to some quality videos.

Weights are wonderful for depression - like you, everytime I finish a work out, particularly when I'm able to bump up the weights, I feel confident, strong, and happy. I do a little bit of running just because of desperation to drop some pounds, although that would happen anyhow over time as long as you're eating reasonably.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for weight training ideas
  • heva__x
    Options
    good to hear. weight lifting is a great stress relief for me.

Yeah that is so true! When I'm feeling stressed or anxious I take my negative energy to the gym and show it whos boss!!
  • heva__x
    Options
    Yeah I think you've got it spot on with the lbs to kg ratio! Before I knew this and I was watching some videos of people squatting high weights in lbs it made me think " wow that's an awful lot, I don't think I would ever manage that". But after managing to squat 27.5kg with the free weight, I calculated it in lbs to be 60.5lbs! So I feel really good at that and am aiming to increase my squat weight to at least 35kg within the next couple of weeks.

It's great that you do squats! Afterall, they don't only work your legs out massively but they help to increase core and back strength, plus your arms are working also to a certain extent by having to hold and balance the bar. I would encourage you to go ahead and start doing lunges! I struggled with them at first in terms of balance (I have a genetically plump butt so the weight isn't exactly evenly spread on my lower body haha) but I find they help to warm up my legs before a workout. I can feel them working many areas of my legs including my glutes and hamstrings. I also find them a good way of testing if my legs have recovered enough for me to do a full leg workout again. A couple of weeks ago I had gone to the gym to blast my legs and I tarted with a lung. The second I started I felt an excruciating pain up my inner thighs and glutes so it was clear to me at that point that my legs hand't fully recovered from their last workout. I had originally been doing squats with dumbbells and gradually increasing the weight but now I do them with the assisted bar on my back. This is so much more challenging but I have noticed increases in strength pretty much straight away.

In terms of other ways to work out your legs, my favourite machine in the gym for this is the linear leg press. I currently do this with 80kg and am hoping to up the weight by 10kg next week. The reason I love this machine is that it works out many areas of my legs and really pushes me to my limits. It's one of those workouts that will GUARANTEE you pain pain pain the next day haha :)

Yeah by pain I meant the fatigue pain your muscles have after a workout. So you would say it is OK to go for a run or a cycle when experiencing this fatigue? I was never quite sure about this one.

I struggle with nutrition in terms of being the fussiest eater EVER! Especially when it comes to green vegetables. I actually bought a supplement called Nutri-greens by Myprotein which is supposed to help people who have this issue and lack the nutrients green veggies provide. It doesn't taste all that great but at least it doesn't make me sick lol. I hate how I am so fussy, people say to me just don't be, just eat it. It's easier said than done when you are trying to eat a bit of broccoli while your body just tries to bring it back up. I do eat lots of tomatoes and try to incorporate peppers, sweetcorn, lettuce, peas, carrots, onions, garlic, chilli as much as possible. I also love drinking fruit smoothies although they do tend to be quite expensive to buy, the pure fruit ones.

I LOVE CARBS! Give me potatoes, bread, pasta ANY DAY! I've been cutting out all the bad fatty foods since starting using this app and it seems I'm not eating enough fat so I'm going to have to research how I can include more fat in my diet. As for protein, this is not a problem. I love chicken, eggs and tuna, plus I love my protein shakes and bars. I'm addicted to the promax cookie dough meal bar but to have one every day would cost me £60, sad times lol :( why must you be so tasty!

Anyway, thanks for replying again. I'm going to keep note of the workouts you shared with me and give them a go sometime soon! Hope you are having a great day!
    I"m not too good with the kg references, I think it's 2.2 lbs to 1 kg right? Haha!

I never bothered much with my legs in the past. I now do squats and plan to add in lunges as well soon. I still need to add more into my leg workout though, I agree. Maybe you can pass some ideas along for leg workouts as you progress!

It depends on what you mean by "pain". It's normal to feel muscle soreness from working out, and you could still do cardio in that case. If you have serious pains, like joint pains or shooting pains, then definitely take it easy and skip the cardio. If you're doing things right with good form then you shouldn't encounter that type of pain though, just the normal soreness from pushing yourself with the weights.

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time to a point. When you're a newbie to lifting, you can definitely do it. Once you progress past the newbie gains, it becomes harder and eventually you'll need to be at a calorie surplus to add significant muscle, though you can still get strength gains.

I'd get down to a healthy bodyfat % first and get your diet cleaned up, then when you reach that point, focus on a slight calorie surplus and push yourself on the weights to add some muscle to your frame.

Nutrition is key. The healthier you eat the better your results will be. Protein intake is important, but its also important to eat things like fruits, vegetables, drink a lot of water, cut out the pop, beer, diet sodas, etc. If you're dehydrated you wont be able to lift as much or push yourself as hard on the cardio. The fiber from the fruits and vegetables will keep you full, keep your blood sugar stable, give you a good source of energy, as well as all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Plus they'll fill you up longer with less calories than junk food.

A lot of people advocate a low carb diet, but I don't buy that. Your body needs fats, carbs, and proteins. Carbs are great for energy and when I eat carbs before a workout its generally more productive. Moderation is key. I've found that extremes generally don't work that well because its just not sustainable over the long term. I still eat some junk food and sweets now and then but I just make sure I factor that into my calorie intake for that day/week.

Sounds like you're on the right track, keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your goals!
  • heva__x
    Options
    Hi Josh! :) It's so comforting to hear of someone in a similar situation to mine. I struggle with panic disorder too, general anxiety and social anxiety along with random insomnia. When I first started training I had no confidence but in the space of 4 months I have become massively determined to better myself, inside and out. I actually have a question relating to depression and weight training, but just haven't really found the right person to ask. Most times when I have been working out I will leave the gym and feel like I am on such a high, not caring when people look at me or getting worried when I am confronted by a situation where I need to converse with people. I always get this feeling after a workout but sometimes I have been finding that this euphoric feeling does not last long and I slip into major depressive mode. On Thursday just past, it was the worst it's ever been. I had had a really good workout and felt on top of the world as I went to the shops to buy some dinner. I had not a care in the world. So I walked home, had my protein shake and planned to relax for twenty minutes before I started to prepare dinner. Minutes went by and all of a sudden I just wanted to cry. I had an overwhelming feeling of anxiety and distress and I just don't know why.

Sorry for the ramble but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask someone who has experience in training and also suffers from depression if they had any idea why this happens?

Thank you for the friend request :) I will be sure to keep an eye on what you've been getting up to and see if I can get any hints or tips from it :)

Hey heather I'm Josh. Glad to hear you found a way to battle the depression. I also suffer from depression and panic disorder and both have improved tremendously since I've been lifting regularly. I've been lifting for 10 years on and off and am making a commitment to stop the on/ off part. Been at it consistently now for 2 months while following my diet pretty religiously. I'm also a CPT personal trainer in the making. My long term goal is to be over 200lbs with a lean physique. I'm very supportive of my friends (not many at the moment I'm in the process of switching accounts), but could always use more supportive friends on here. Hope to talk to you soon I'll be sending ya a F/r in a sec here.
  • heva__x
    Options
    Yeah, with lifting I feel I can see better how I am progressing and it gives me enthusiasm to be able to lift even heavier. I have to admit, though, that I do need to start adding some cardio to my routine. I'm terrible when it comes to running and can only do about 5 minutes running on the treadmill before I give up. I have just seen that you posted your regime, I can't thank you enough! I'm going to add all these to a spreadsheet (is that geeky? haha) and give them all a go at some point. That's what I struggle with, having a planned routine when I go to the gym, so thank you for that!

Thanks so much for responding and sharing this with me, I appreciate it so much! I'm in love with this app already and all the supportive people on it :) Hope you are having a great weekend :) I'm having a nice relaxing one whilst trying to fit in some uni work haha.
    weight training is much more rewarding than cardio for me too. I still do about 60-80 min a week on the treadmill, but much prefur the time spent lifting ~ even when i don't want to. Would love to share my regime with you, but its after midnight and my notes are in the home gynm(aka the barn lol). so in the light of day i will retrieve them and share my current 4 day a week plan~ chest/tricep~back/biceps~legs~shoulders. It changes every 4 weeks so I never get bored :) until morning
    Lori
  • heva__x
    Options
    Thank you! :) I honestly can't believe how supportive everyone is on this site :)

You know, it's actually refreshing to hear someone say that you can have that bit of leeway with your diet. I struggle with being a fussy eater and having bad days with my depression so it is tough, but I do try. I'm in the process on working on my macros. I get more than enough protein but I seem to be lacking a bit with the carbs and fat, but I will get there!

Yeah the soreness definitely does get gradually less each time! After my first personal training session, where we worked on lower body, I was literally having to cling onto the sink and the radiator just to lower myself on to the toilet seat! (sorry for the too much info hahah). Felt like I had implants inserted into my butt and thighs overnight! I enjoy the pain though, it puts my mind at rest that I have properly worked my muscles. When I am sore, though, I haven't been doing any light training. I wasn't sure if that would damage the muscles or not but I think I will start doing a bit of walking or cycling in between strength training.

I agree with changing things around every now and then. My current PT doesn't give me any advice on how to train out-with sessions but I am changing trainers in the next few weeks who promises to give me full training plans for non PT days so I'm looking forward to this!

Thanks for responding to my post and I hope you are having a great weekend! :)
    Good for you in finding something that helps with your depression - and what a positive change you have made.
    My daughter suffers from depression so I can relate.

Don't beat yourself up over not having a "perfect" diet (whatever that means!). The meat in a burger has protein as well as fillet steak!
    There's loads of people on here that both enjoy their food and have great results from their training. As long as you are getting your macro and micro nutrients about right as part of a balanced diet there's no reason not to have some treats.

As for the soreness - you may well find that it reduces over time and only occurs when you add in something new. You can train through soreness but you may well find something more gentle as active recovery is better - swimming, cycling, walking for example.

Keep trying new things to keep it fresh - even after 40 years of weight training I'm still finding new ways to challenge myself, dips and pull-ups are the latest thing I'm pushing myself with.