Which workout yields the best results: Insanity or P90X?

Options
2»

Replies

• Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've done both programs. After I finished P90X for the third time I started my own routine. I can not tell you how ineffective I now find both P90X and Insanity.
    I think you would be better advised to do several days of weight training and one or two days of cardio.

THIS!
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Insanity but I can vouch for P90X. It has opened my eyes to working out in a way that Is targeted and meaningful. If you're consistent with nearly any form of exercise and you eat in a thoughtful manner - results will follow

The change of mindset through he combination of MFP and P90X has been so beneficial. Depending on you fitness level you might like T25 as well. It is a very good program with built in modifications

Good luck
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Insanity=cardio
    P90X=strength/muscle mass
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    P90X is better for muscle development, but you have to have the equipment.
    Insanity is better for overall weight loss and cardiovascular fitness, no equipment needed.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recommend Insanity if your trying to get out of the overweight stage then once you get out of it do P90X.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They're both comparable in intensity but P90X will get you there safer. The nature of the way the workout is structured makes it a lot less injury prone. Plus, because of the tremendous increase in LBM you see as compared to Insanity, it's a lot easier to maintain the results after you complete the program. With Insanity it's very difficult to maintain after you complete it without hopping onto another equally intensive program one after another (which is something you can't realistically keep doing forever as you WILL eventually get a serious injury at some point).

Not only that but P90X can be customized for people with different fitness goals based on altering the weight, reps, and diet while Insanity is more or less a fat loss program no matter how you slice it.

I give the nod to P90X by nature of being safer, giving more easily sustainable results in the long term, and versatile.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I recommend Insanity if your trying to get out of the overweight stage then once you get out of it do P90X.

Depending on how overweight they are Insanity may be one of the absolute worst possible programs to do, based on the high intensity nature. Many overweight and obese people are not capable of performing many of the moves in Insanity without over stressing the knees simply due to their weight.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X and some of Insanity. If you need an instructor (video tape) to give you motivation, then by all means pick one. P90X was great --- it worked for me. I dropped body fat.

BUT --- I personally feel that P90X is glorified cardio. Yes, you are lifting but not lifting heavy. So in the end, you are burning calories and fat, but not really gaining muscle. I was extremely disappointed in the leg routine especially. All depends on your goals.

If you can manage to motivate yourself, I would recommend doing your own thing. But that is just my opinion.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X and some of Insanity. If you need an instructor (video tape) to give you motivation, then by all means pick one. P90X was great --- it worked for me. I dropped body fat.

BUT --- I personally feel that P90X is glorified cardio. Yes, you are lifting but not lifting heavy. So in the end, you are burning calories and fat, but not really gaining muscle. I was extremely disappointed in the leg routine especially. All depends on your goals.

If you can manage to motivate yourself, I would recommend doing your own thing. But that is just my opinion.

You can lift heavy with P90X. It is as hard as you want to make it.
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've tried both P90x and Insanity. They both have good and bad. If you are looking for weight training and resistance, then P90x is the better choice. Insanity is cardio based, but definitely builds strength using your body to change your body. My problem was time - so I chose to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. The first 2 phases are cardio and strength building - a milder Insanity. The Gamma phase uses weights and carves lean muscle. I've been thrilled with the results, especially given it's 25 minutes a day, 5x a week. I have time for other activities to keep me moving.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've tried both P90x and Insanity. They both have good and bad. If you are looking for weight training and resistance, then P90x is the better choice. Insanity is cardio based, but definitely builds strength using your body to change your body. My problem was time - so I chose to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. The first 2 phases are cardio and strength building - a milder Insanity. The Gamma phase uses weights and carves lean muscle. I've been thrilled with the results, especially given it's 25 minutes a day, 5x a week. I have time for other activities to keep me moving.

"Carves lean muscle". You sound like an infomercial, so I looked. Surprised to find you're a beachbody coach that loves shakeology and everything beachbody! Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • SonnyN9
    Options
    Both programs are great and will yield results. The main point is whether you'll stick to the program and follow it through. If you tend to give up in the beginning, then nothing will work. If you finish the programs, you'll see great results.

For me, I enjoyed Insanity more. I love the the intensity and the challenge. But it's not easy especially for people out of shape. If you can't follow the program week by week, then just repeat the sessions until you're ready to move to the next video.
  • jdudley1019
    Options
    Personally, I've done both programs and two hybrids. If you want some serious intensity I think that Insanity is more difficult. However, P90X is a perfect program as well. If you haven't done anything like this before then P90X is the way to go. These are my reasons:

P90X, because of its combination of weight training and cardio, helps you build lean muscle. Lean muscle is essential for weight loss. It is one of the best components for burning that stubborn fat in all areas.

The cardio portions of P90X, in my opinion, are not as severally challenging as Insanity (which is completely cardio and interval training). But trust me it will get that heart rate through the roof and help you achieve your fitness goals.

If you decide to go the Insanity route, then make sure that you're able to engage your core while gasping for air. I think that P90X helps you achieve this form and technique. If you do not engage the core, in Insanity, you have the possibility of injury and/or not achieve the technique and skill that Shaun T provides for you.

Both programs are GREAT and will provide you with the tools to achieve your fitness goals, but remember this is a life style change. I say you do both. Start with P90X: build that lean muscle and get in great condition then blast through Insanity with the full potential and athleticism that you've developed while doing P90X. Hey then maybe you can try a hybrid? I loved the hybrid because I got to get the muscle building from P90X and the intense cardio from Insanity.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity, but I will say that I saw greater changes with p90x. I have found that weight lifting is the way to go. You will end up burning more calories when you aren't working out, your body will start to tighten up, and as a result it will be easier to burn away the fat. This is the experience I had and I have gone down to doing cardio only once a week and seeing huge results. I hit a platuea for a while now I am seeing break throughs.

They are both great programs though :)
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I use to be a cardio queen. Then I did P90X and watched my whole body changed for the better.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The one that will get the most results is whichever one you will stick with!!