Weight Loss Surgery - Yes or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• kaj281186
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit I had liposuction 6 years ago. It was a complete waste of time and money and I was in terrible pain for weeks! If your eating habits stay the same then your body goes back to how it was before the surgery. I have now learnt that the only way to get rid of the weight and keep it off is to try and eat right and regular exercise. I lost all the excess weight 2 years ago through diet and exercise and got down to 9 stone (less than I was after the surgery). I have since had a baby and put a stone and a half of it back on but I know I will only get rid of it through diet and exercise. I would not recommend surgery to anybody unless it is essential for health reasons.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience, but I do know 2 people who have done it.

One of them is my mother-in-law. She has lost an incredible amount of weight...HOWEVER...she has to eat like a bird now or she will throw up! She can't have more than about 1000 calories a day because her stomach can't handle more than that. She has also developed a lot of sensitivies to foods that she never had issues with before the surgery.

My friend Joe, on the other hand, hasn't had any of those issues at all. Maybe it has to do with gender? I don't know the difference, really. But he recently hit the 200 pound lost mark. He does have to eat much, much less than before or else get sick, however, he can still enjoy foods that he did before the surgery. As long as he keeps track of his intake, he doesn't have problems at all.

For myself, it will never be an option. If I ever get large again (from pregnancy or whatnot) I will simply do then what I did before and eat about 20% less than my TDEE and exercise moderately 5-6 times a week to lose weight that way.
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was referred for it by my Dr. I did a long program through the military. Longer and more comprehensive that most of the better civilian ones. I finished all classes and requirements but the psych eval. I also am type two (my A1c was 8.9) and I have PCOS as well as a family history of hereditary obesity. by the final class I had decided against the surgery completely. I did EVERYTHING that was asked of me from diet to exercise and have been able to lose almost 145lbs. I lost over 55lbs just while taking the classes from march-July.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist? If not I would suggest it. I was put on Victoza and while it took a while to get used to I really believe it helped kick things off well getting my A1C under control. I dropped to 5.9 in just 3 months and am now even lower than that a year out.

Also find out what your insurance covers for a registered dietician and while there ASK lots of questions. Get your money's worth and find out about group classes you could attend on nutrition counseling.

Wow that's amazing, well done for doing it yourself...now that's what I call commitment :-).
  • Felicitykhan
    Felicitykhan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you to each of you for sharing all your thoughts and suggestions. I'll give my self one more year and see how it goes. Hopefully, with all the inspiration and motivation from here ill get there. Slowly but surely! Thanks guys! Will update soon!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    ok, I have absolutely no experience with this but, I am going to share my opinion anyway. No. Don't do it. Not only is it not a guaranteed fix, it comes with complications as it is a major surgery. In addition, it changes the way your body processes foods. I use to work out with a girl who had lost a bunch of weight through weight loss surgery. She had a really hard time with the diet portion because she could no longer digest things like spinach. Additionally, it is totally possible to gain the weight back. if it was me, I would rather it take longer to lose the weight, and save my pennies for new boobs or something when I have excess skin...something else you may have to deal with if you lose a drastic amount of weight quickly.

Don't paint with such a broad brush.

It's not a guaranteed fix, but if you use it for what it is...a tool...and do your part to make it work, it will work. My husband and I are living proof and we will NOT be in the statistics for WLS failure.

Most people who have problems are self inflicted because they don't follow their surgeon's directives. Period. They advance too quickly in the phases of reintroducing foods, don't take the necessary suppliments that we need, go back to crappy eating habits, don't exercise and simply expect the surgery to be some kind of magical fix.

We have had ZERO complications and astounding results all because we've worked HARD to achieve them. It's the best decision we've ever made. I work out 5-7 days a week, track every single thing I consume and bust my *kitten* to make WLS work for ME.

Could someone do this without WLS? Sure. I did. Over and over again, but the weight kept coming back on. WLS was what I needed to feel full and get back into control of my life. I'm in control and I will continue to be a success story.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have heard lots of reference to corset/waist training as non surgical lap band. I was researching waist training to lose weigh. A waist training corset will squeeze your abs so that you have to eat tiny small meal often. Check out romantasy.com they have some weight loss program involving corsets and orchardcorset.com is the cheapest place to buy quality waist trading corsets.
  • krissiecu
    Options
    I have no REGRETS at all having it done!
  • krissiecu
    Options
    I have no REGRETS at all having it done!
  • krissiecu
    Options
    I just did the gastric sleeve 5 weeks ago and no regrets! Message me and I can help you do the research and where to go to see what u want!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My mother had the lap band procedure done a few years ago. Her list of health issues is similar to yours and having seen her dealing with aftermath, I would say 'absolutely not unless you need it to save your life.' The diet is miserable, the maintenance is constantly and she constantly complains of feeling light headed and unwell even now. It has not helped her lose weight even following the diet and she's pretty miserable. Really, do as suggested and talk to your doctor. There are other ways.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A friend had lap band surgery, and she went through major hell with it. Eventually, she ended up having to have the band removed. I'm sure her experience isn't the norm, but it was enough to ensure that I would never consider weight loss surgery an option.
    This comment kind of touches on my thoughts about surgery (where I worked for many years). All surgeries and anesthesia involve risk. Some times its minor things that go wrong. Every now and then though the surgery or the administration of anesthesia causes death or other serious problems which one may survive but not recover from. Even so called minor surgery is nothing to take lightly. The OP should adress thyroid issues medically before any serious consideration of surgery.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any surgery (never would have qualified even if I had wanted it) but my mother and sister in law both got the lap band about a year and a half ago.

The results for both of them are night and day. My mother followed all the instructions including getting more saline added to the lap band, following the "diet" and all the appropriate phases. She has lost a bit over 100 pounds after having been overweight to obese for over 20 years and struggling with weight loss. She is now back up to 1200 calories of regular food and hasn't had any problems with malnutrition or nutrient deficiencies of any kind. She is about 20-30 lbs from a good, healthy weight now.

My sister in law, on the other hand, didn't really follow the diet and continues to drink copious amounts of alcohol and has yet to lose a pound (she lost 20 the first month and then regained it).

If you look at it as a tool to help you control one aspect and understand that it still takes a lot of work including counting calories and exercising I think it can be extremely helpful. If you look at it as a magic bullet, it seems like it would be a terrible disappointment.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy done on 4/04/12 & it was the best decision I have ever made. My surgery is restrictive--they did not reroute my innards at all. I had part of my stomach removed, leaving a long, skinny stomach that still functions normally.

The lap band is also restrictive, but you have the band added to make your stomach smaller. Others on this thread have probably described people with a gastric bypass where they reroute your intestines & make a small "pouch" for your stomach. This is a very radical surgery that is restrictive & also malabsorptive. Other people have a duodenal switch which also removes part of your stomach & reroutes your intestines this is also restrictive & malabsorptive. Each surgery has its advantages & disadvantages.

My surgeon said he was not doing the lap band surgeries any more because he was finding his patients had more complications than successes. That was the type of surgery I was originally thinking about.

I am able to eat anything I want. I have not vomited since I left the hospital & the vomiting I did then had more to do with the anesthesia & pain meds than my missing bits. The vomiting & diarrhea is called dumping & can be a problem for people who have had a gastric bypass. I don't know a whole lot about it, since it does not happen to me.

I absolutely have to watch what I eat in order to lose weight. I did not get morbidly obese by making good eating choices. I had to recognize that I am addicted to food & will never be a "normal" eater. I will watch what I eat, weigh/measure everything that goes in my mouth for the rest of my life. I can definitely regain all my weight. Since my stomach is smaller, I can routinely overeat & stretch it back out. I can snack on small amounts of junk food all day long (graze) & exceed my calories.

I've found that there are many, many, many people with anecdotal horror stories. Many will ask why you want to go through surgery & all of the risks associated with it when you can just do it without. You can just change your eating habits & not have the surgery at all. For me, that worked. A couple times. Then I gained the weight back. For me, the surgery has been the best tool for my continued success. I asked myself how many more years I was going to keep struggling with this---until my kids were too old to want to go hiking with me (which I was not able to do while obese), until all my kids learned to ride a bike (which I could not help them with because I could not run behind & hold them up), until I got full blown diabetes which runs in my family, until I couldn't finish my household chores because my back hurt so bad? For me, the benefits totally outweighed the risks. It has been a long process. I went to the original seminar at my local hospital in Aug. 2011. My insurance did cover most of the surgery because I met the criteria. I am still paying of the rest & happy to do it. I saw a nutritionist for 6 months prior to the surgery, I had a psych exam.

It is not the total solution. If you are not committed to making life changes, you will not be successful. That is true for whatever method you choose. I am no longer starving all the time. I can eat 1 cup of food & be full & happy. This means I can make better choices about what I eat. I recommend you go to www.3fatchicks.com & look at their WLS forum--lots of people there share their experiences.
  • weebuddy36
    weebuddy36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I decided to have duodenal switch surgery in Dec '12. I'm 50 years old and like so many other MO people, I tried every diet out there. After starving or denying myself for 30+ years, I finally came to the realization that diets really don't work. Lol. We damage our metabolisms so much with yo-yo dieting. Because of hormonal, chemical and physiological changes related to obesity, dieting alone is very unlikely to help us achieve long-term weight loss. Congrats on your success!! I'm also thrilled that I had my wls. Just wish I could have done something much earlier in my life. But at least I have a much better chance to live a longer, more fulfilling and healthier life. Cheers!!! :drinker:
  • beccaR1960
    beccaR1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People have to do what works for them... Surgery is NOT the easy way out and yeah, you still have to change your lifestyle, but if you can no longer lose with changing your lifestyle, it is a great tool to get you there. Or if you lose and regain over and over again, it may be an option.... Many can lose the pounds, its keeping them off that is hard! It's changing our lives forever more that is hard...

It saddens me to see so many uninformed people out there in regards to WLS.

I never thought I would do it... but after a lifetime of yo yo dieting, and now a tanked thyroid.... nothing takes the #'s off anymore. I have already made the lifestyle changes. Been tracking my foods for 4 years now, work out regularly... just need help getting the #'s off.

It is NOT something that should be done without much research and commitment. Or by anyone who thinks its the easy way out...

And for health risks... Yeah there are risks. But then what are the risks of being 52, weight of 300+ lbs, high blood pressure, diabetic, arthritis to the point I can hardly walk anymore, and the list of co-morbidity issues goes on... If I cannot get these #'s off regardless of how hard I have worked, I WILL DIE sooner than later...

And yo yo dieting is a killer too! It is so hard on our bodies to lose and regain the weight over and over...

Do people have this surgery and gain back the weight? Yes, this is true. Less % than those who diet and regain, but it does happen. Why? Because they did not make the changes and do the head work (the reason we overeat in the first place) to insure their success.... Just like old fashioned dieters who jump on a plan, lose a few, fall off, gain it back... Its happened to a zillion of us!

So, yeah, I'm going to have surgery... This coming August.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. I do ask tho, that if you know someone who is going to have the surgery, DO YOUR RESEARCH before you speak up to them. Be supportive if you can... and if you can't, just know they do not need someone putting down their choice, and it might be best to say nothing at all.

For those who want to learn about surgery from people who have been there... Go to dailystrength.org and search for the weight loss surgery forum. Or go to thinnertimes.com and read those posts... You just might be surprised at what you learn! These are people in all stages of the process, pre op folks, folks just researching, people who are a few weeks post surgery, to ones who are years out from surgery...
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication for your thyroid and diabetes issues?
    Are you morbidly obese?
    Has your doctor suggested this as a viable option?

Weight loss surgery is an effective method of weight management in certain cases - people who have a LOT to lose, have tried everything else, need a real lifestyle change to change their health, AND have the discipline and motivation to live according to new restrictions. It's not a quick fix, or an easy solution.

I worry that you're not eating enough for good health at the moment - you probably need 1200-1500cal a day. You won't do your body any favours if you go drastically under this.

I would suggest making sure your current health issues are receiving full and appropriate medical attention, and working on building and maintaining a healthy and sustainable diet/exercise lifestyle. THEN if your weight is still a major issue, surgery might be indicated.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 07-15-2006 and lost 85 lbs in the first year and a half after surgery with moderate exercise and changing my eating habits. I was 335 lbs the day of surgery and now hover at 250 lbs. I am 5'2" and still overweight. I am struggling with the last 100+ pounds. This being said I am in much better health than I was because I changed my eating and exercise habits and still maintain that to this day. I eat normally in moderation. Breads are hard to swallow at times and I very rarely have anything carbonated because food will come back up.

If I had to choose today whether to have surgery again I would in a heartbeat. It changed my life for the better. I haven't had any complications. My surgeon told me with lap band MOST patients lose 40-60% of their EXCESS weight. I am a typical statistic.

Today if I was choosing a surgery I would have the gastric sleeve vs. lap band because the success rate is better. HOWEVER, with any surgery if you don't change your eating/exercise habits you won't be successful.

Best of luck!