Bad news for Shape Ups

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
Actually, this has been obvious since day one:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/will-toning-footwear-get-you-in-shape/shaper-sneakers.html
Recently, researchers from the American Council on Exercise decided to put the toners to the test. They recruited subjects; laced them up in EasyTones, Shape-ups, and MBTs; and put them on treadmills. Then they used electromyography to measure the muscle activation in their calves, quads, hamstrings, buttocks, back, and abs. The researchers found no significant increase in muscle activity when comparing toners to normal sneakers.

"There is simply no evidence to support the claims that these shoes will help wearers exercise more intensely, burn more calories, or improve muscle strength and tone," the report found.

They also look at the "barefoot running" fad and other shoe technologies. It's not an in-depth article, but it's a good read to cut through some of the marketing BS.

Being an old guy, I've seen this stuff come and go. Much of the what is being touted for the shape up type shoes and the Vibram shoe was also used in the 1960s to promote "earth shoes".

The fact is that there is no single answer for everyone--whether it's shoes, running surface, stride length, etc, etc. The issue is further confused in that changing one's pattern usually results in a short-term "feeling" that is often interpreted as "improvement". However, the actual "change" or "stimulus" is not that great and so the body quickly adapts to the new motion--if you're lucky. (For many others, the "adaptation" is an injury).

One also must always keep in mind the power of auto suggestion and the placebo effect, which play big roles in how the "benefits" of many fitness-related products are perceived -- not just shoes, but foods, supplements, etc.

One last thing: Keep that quote about the shoes experiment in mind when you see machines that promise "cardiovascular and strength benefits at the same time" or machines that have little diagrams or lighted areas highlighting muscle groups that are being "toned". Once again, the stimulus is not great enough to actually achieve the results advertised.

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Easy Tones and I hate them! They are all worn out in the bottom, and they would really hurt my feet at first. I use them as my "bummy" sneakers, when I need to paint, or when it is raining.

My mom, on the other hand, LOVES them!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I had been saving up to get a pair of Shape-Ups, I'm glad to find this out now so I can spend the money on a decent pair of running shoes.
  • mdrnqt
    mdrnqt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    They may not help you from a cardio stand point, but as a nurse in a busy ER they will save your knees! I wore traditional nurses shoes, Reeboks, and other brands of tennis shoes over the last 15 years, and as the pace as increased, so did the pain to my knees & feet. I got a pair of Shape Ups from my mom for my birthday and have been wearing them to work ever since. Now when I get off a hectic 12 hr shift, my feet & knees feel great! :smile:
  • Azdak
    Options
    Again, want to make it clear that there is a huge difference between "comfort" (which is also addressed in the story) and the (pseudo) "scientific" claims of "toning" and increased calorie burning that have been made on behalf of these shoes.

If someone knows the facts before going in, then, yeah buy whatever shoes you want if you like the way they feel. But I suspect most people paying a premium for these things do it for the promoted "toning" benefits and that is significant, IMO.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had a pair and after a week could hardly walk, due to shin splints. It was horrible. Someone close to me told me to continue to use them and your body would get used to it. I on the other hand had to disagree. I was not going to just walk through that pain. Now they sit in my closet. Wonder if I could get rid of them to someone? I just know I don't want to even feel that pain again.
  • Azdak
    Options
    They may not help you from a cardio stand point, but as a nurse in a busy ER they will save your knees! I wore traditional nurses shoes, Reeboks, and other brands of tennis shoes over the last 15 years, and as the pace as increased, so did the pain to my knees & feet. I got a pair of Shape Ups from my mom for my birthday and have been wearing them to work ever since. Now when I get off a hectic 12 hr shift, my feet & knees feel great! :smile:

You got in before my last comment, but this is what I meant. It may well be that some people will experience the "comfort" benefits that you do, and that's great. I am not making a blanket condemnation of the shoes--just pointing out what's true and what isn't. I don't know if you actually read the article, but they do mention that the cushioning pattern seems to be really helpful for certain people and some doctors are recommending them precisely for that reason.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here's the ace article if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/toningshoes072010.pdf

I've posted about this before and completely agree with Azdak on the topic.

By that I mean, if you buy them because they are comfortable or help you in some way orthopedically, great! But they really don't do any more for you exercise wise, than any other sneaker.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    So are any of those machines at the gym worth using or do you always have to use free weights? because the men are usually hogging all the free weights and it is easier to get to the machines.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am using a payless version of the same idea (champion) and I bought them 90% for comfort and 10% for the chance they would help. If anything, I think they have helped my balance. I walk/jog on a lot of gravel roads, and the thick soles are nice to not feel the rocks through the soles. I'd buy them again just for that reason. I didn't hold out much faith that they actually helped tone.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    basically, distrust any product that says you can lose weight without trying

I love being barefoot though - and it doesn't cost anything.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - they were on my "wish" list and now, I think I will spend the money on something else.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    ... and the (pseudo) "scientific" claims of "toning" and increased calorie burning that have been made on behalf of these shoes.

There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker.
    So are any of those machines at the gym worth using or do you always have to use free weights? because the men are usually hogging all the free weights and it is easier to get to the machines.

The machines should be melted down and turned into plates. Ok, maybe that's a bit much but, generally yes, free weights are better. Machines isolate muscles and there is no way to effectively isolate every muscle in the body, so for overall fitness and strength you want free weights. Specifically barbell exercises, as they engage the most amount of muscle at once.

Also machine force you into a fixed movement patten, which in many cases, is not the natural movement pattern for your body and can result in muscle imbalances and possibly injury. Free weight allow you to lift naturally.

Don't be intimidated by the free weight section because you are a woman either. I am always impressed when I see women doing barbell squats and deadlifts when am in the gym. And don't be afraid of "getting big" you can't it is virtually an impossibility. The women that do "get big" go very far out of their way to look like that.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion .., likes and dislikes ...

I've had my Skechers for 3 months/200+ miles with no problems (I'm NOT a runner) ... soon will be time for a new pair ... haven't figured out what I may try next.

I use free weights and machines firmly believing they all have benefits.

Firm, tone, strong, weak ... who cares what word is used to describe the same thing.

Whatever works, whatever keeps me motivated.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I bought the skecher's tone-up flip flops and LOVE them. I already work out enough that I didn't get them for toning but I live in Florida and am either in flip flops or barefoot (when not in workout shoes) and these are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I'd rather wear these than be barefoot!
  • Azdak
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion .., likes and dislikes ...

I've had my Skechers for 3 months/200+ miles with no problems (I'm NOT a runner) ... soon will be time for a new pair ... haven't figured out what I may try next.

I use free weights and machines firmly believing they all have benefits.

Firm, tone, strong, weak ... who cares what word is used to describe the same thing.

Whatever works, whatever keeps me motivated.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not their own facts. That's the difference. I try to provide as much factual information as I can so that people can make informed decisions. What they do after that is their "opinion" and that's fine with me.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just lost some respect for Joe Montana
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Other bad news - You look absolutely ridiculous wearing them :tongue:

Sorry - I had to say it! Shape Ups and Crocs offend all my sensibilities! Just wear a good pair of joggers and hit the pavement folks. No easy answers!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hey, this nurse work 12 hours and loves her croc's. And my Dr. Scholls, I don't care what they look like, LOL.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Other bad news - You look absolutely ridiculous wearing them :tongue:

Sorry - I had to say it! Shape Ups and Crocs offend all my sensibilities! Just wear a good pair of joggers and hit the pavement folks. No easy answers!

Who's to say I don't look ridiculous in whatever I wear? :ohwell:
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just lost some respect for Joe Montana
    :laugh: