Sodium rich foods?

Options
Hi...I'm doing fine with the calories counting but struggling to get my sodium levels up to the required level.
Any tips anyone...?

p.s. I'm vegetarian:wink:

Thank You!

Replies

• lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    2500 mg is the upper limit of sodium, not the required amount. Unless you have a medical condition that needs a hşgh sodium intake, you need to keep sodium as low as possible.

If you do have a condition, most Asian condiments and sauces, as well as seafood including kelp etc are rich in sodium.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Bad. Soup, bread, cheese, diet meals, canned foods, processed vegetarian burger etc..

Good fresh fruit and veggies.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    2500 mg is the upper limit of sodium, not the required amount. Unless you have a medical condition that needs a hşgh sodium intake, you need to keep sodium as low as possible.

If you do have a condition, most Asian condiments and sauces, as well as seafood including kelp etc are rich in sodium.

This is incorrect. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to keep sodium low (and the most common, hypertension, its even a somewhat minor consideration) you don't really need to worry about intake within anywhere near normal ranges. At least, it's at best a tertiary concern.

If you need to intake more sodium, just salt stuff.
  • lessac
    Options

This is incorrect. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to keep sodium low (and the most common, hypertension, its even a somewhat minor consideration) you don't really need to worry about intake within anywhere near normal ranges. At least, it's at best a tertiary concern.

Excuse me, what exactly is incorrect?

Human body only needs around 600-700 mg of sodium to operate on. Some medical conditions like hypotension, any condition that leads to hyponatremia needs higher sodium intake. Rest, do not as 2500 mg (or 2300 or whatever they keep revising to) is the upper limit.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

This! I don't track sodium. Cottage cheese is a yummy choice, and it's high protein too!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Excuse me, what exactly is incorrect?

Human body only needs around 600-700 mg of sodium to operate on. Some medical conditions like hypotension, any condition that leads to hyponatremia needs higher sodium intake. Rest, do not as 2500 mg (or 2300 or whatever they keep revising to) is the upper limit.
    You said you need to keep sodium as low as possible, and that is debateable. Excess sodium consumption led to only about 3-4 points in systolic blood pressure in hypertensive patients so it's still up in the air.
    I think that's what they mean. Anyway, from what I have researched the lower limit is about 600 mg without strenuous exercise, so you are right about that.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    American Heart Association has revised the average sodium intake to only be 1500 mg a day.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sodium-Salt-or-Sodium-Chloride_UCM_303290_Article.jsp

Personally its up to you on what you wish to do and what you prefer and how your body reacts to salt. Mine tends to hold water weight and heart disease and high blood pressure run in my family.
  • lessac
    Options
    You said you need to keep sodium as low as possible, and that is debateable. Excess sodium consumption led to only about 3-4 points in systolic blood pressure in hypertensive patients so it's still up in the air.
    I think that's what they mean. Anyway, from what I have researched the lower limit is about 600 mg without strenuous exercise, so you are right about that.

I don't see how it's reasonable to pick on "as low as possible". MFP sodium goal is not a goal but merely a limit that follows the suggestions of health organizations. Or does it make sense for MFP to put the same goal for everyone from every age, size etc? OP talked about reaching that goal, mind you. And I said it's not a goal to reach but sodium should be kept as low as possible since as you agree the body needs lower than 1000 mg, so what's the point of excess in terms of health?
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    American Heart Association has revised the average sodium intake to only be 1500 mg a day.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sodium-Salt-or-Sodium-Chloride_UCM_303290_Article.jsp

Personally its up to you on what you wish to do and what you prefer and how your body reacts to salt. Mine tends to hold water weight and heart disease and high blood pressure run in my family.

Yes! I agree! High blood pressure and heart problems run in my family. Aside from that, my body also has a difficult time with bloating. If I eat even about 800 or 900 mg on a day, I tend to bloat really bad. I try to keep my sodium intake as low as possible(around 600-750), eating more fresh foods and protein.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I don't see how it's reasonable to pick on "as low as possible". MFP sodium goal is not a goal but merely a limit that follows the suggestions of health organizations. Or does it make sense for MFP to put the same goal for everyone from every age, size etc? OP talked about reaching that goal, mind you. And I said it's not a goal to reach but sodium should be kept as low as possible since as you agree the body needs lower than 1000 mg, so what's the point of excess in terms of health?
    You asked what you said was wrong and I told you what I thought the other poster disagreed with. Current research is showing that sodium isn't the boogey man they once thought it to be. It seems that the sodium to potassium ratio is more important but I digress.
    I said you were right about the minimum and of course the MFP 2500 is a limit, not a target.
    BTW, I used to suffer from hypertension when I was obese, but after losing the weight, my BP is excellent and 2500 mg of sodium daily doesn't affect it. I try to keep sodium to potassium ratio at about 1:2 though.
    Cheers
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    -Some soups have high sodium level yet are pretty low in calories.
    -Curry, Like Veggie curry! It's delicious, warm, pretty low calorie when you mess with it, and pretty high in sodium due to the spices.
    -Low calorie frozen meals and snacks. I know a lot of people don't like these frozen meals. But sometimes, the side dishes such as broccoli & potato with cheese are not too high in calories and the sodium level is pretty high.

That's what I've noticed so far in when logging, I'm sure there's tons more of health sodium filled food out there! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Lol, anything Asian! Soy sauce in just about everything!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

You asked what you said was wrong and I told you what I thought the other poster disagreed with. Current research is showing that sodium isn't the boogey man they once thought it to be. It seems that the sodium to potassium ratio is more important but I digress.
    I said you were right about the minimum and of course the MFP 2500 is a limit, not a target.
    BTW, I used to suffer from hypertension when I was obese, but after losing the weight, my BP is excellent and 2500 mg of sodium daily doesn't affect it. I try to keep sodium to potassium ratio at about 1:2 though.
    Cheers

That's correct. Aside from ensuring you get enough sodium, given that it is an essential nutrient, there's very little reason to focus on limiting sodium. Even in the case of hypertension, the benefits of sodium restriction are relatively minor -- when compared to overall weight loss and exercise, its basically negligible.

I'm not saying someone should be trying to eat as much salt as possible, but as long as you get what's required, within the bounds of a normal diet (i.e. not eating teaspoons of plain salt) there's no real reason to waste too much effort tracking it.
  • mouseyhoney
    Options
    OK so the reason my sodium intake is low is because I dont eat processed foods, I make my own soups and eat plentiful fruit and veg. I also eat cheese which is what contributes to the majority of my sodium intake.

I dont add salt to my food and suffer from no medical conditions ....so im not going to worry about being well under the recommended sodium intake.

Many thanks to all who contributed to the post
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues because I try to stay away from packaged foods, choosing no-salt-added options when available (especially since I cook for my boyfriend, who has high blood pressure) and I've never been a big fan of salty foods! I've started just adding a sprinkle of sea salt to a lot of things that I cook.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OK so the reason my sodium intake is low is because I dont eat processed foods, I make my own soups and eat plentiful fruit and veg. I also eat cheese which is what contributes to the majority of my sodium intake.

I dont add salt to my food and suffer from no medical conditions ....so im not going to worry about being well under the recommended sodium intake.

Many thanks to all who contributed to the post

There are a variety of salts out there that flavor food differently. Maybe give those a try?