Running advice... Well what I do is more like a slow jog/stu

amandalc980
amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I finally got to the point where I can run a mile and a half without stopping. Albeit, the mile and a half takes me 19 minutes to complete, I still complete it. I am trying to run a mile a half 6 days a week and am trying to get in an extra 1.5 after work with the family at least 2 times a week.

On the 23rd is my 5k which I am so not ready for! I feel like at this point I am not at the right place for the C25K, but I welcome any and all advice to get me ready for that 5K without any injurys. :)

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Hey I am kinda the same way (1.3 miles takes me about 13-14min outside), I just get out there and do it, the more you do it you will get faster, but the added endurance you are gaining in the process will help with other stuff you do.

I am doing a 5k on Nov 6, my first and I am just focusing on finishing it, i have a goal time (35min), but I am going to do it, dont be afraid to walk some if you need to.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    You know what? I think its great that you have persevered to run your mile and a half without stopping, no matter how long it takes you.

At any 5k race anymore, there are lots of walkers. Run as much as you can of the race and then walk some and then run some more if you can. If you run at all you probably won't be the last one to finish and you will have your first 5k under your belt.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    I'm the same way--except I can't run for that long, haha. I can run about a quarter of a mile non-stop--but when I started last month, I couldn't run farther than down my driveway. The more you practice, the better results you'll see. Just keep at it!
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    You're doing great! It takes time for your body to adjust. I was at the same point a few months ago. Just keep with your schedule and add a couple of minutes to your jog every couple of days. You'll be running your 5k easily. One thing I did start doing, however, was taking more rest days to let my muscles recover. When I was running 6 days, I wasn't losing weight. I cut back to 4 or 5 and weight started coming off easier, and my runs were easier also. I do a 2 mile, a 3 mile, sometimes another 2, a 2.5 mile and then a 4 or 5 mile on Sundays, taking off Monday, Wednesday and sometimes Friday.
    Good Luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Can you walk after that 1.5? There's no shame in walking part of the 5K. Maybe run some, walk some, run some, etc.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Just keep at it. Last January I could barely do 1.5 miles in 15-16 mins, but a month ago I ran a half marathon in 1h 54mins which is an 8:43 min/mile pace (or 13 mins for 1.5 miles).

Keep within the 10% rule though to avoid injury.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I finally got to the point where I can run a mile and a half without stopping. Albeit, the mile and a half takes me 19 minutes to complete, I still complete it. I am trying to run a mile a half 6 days a week and am trying to get in an extra 1.5 after work with the family at least 2 times a week.

On the 23rd is my 5k which I am so not ready for! I feel like at this point I am not at the right place for the C25K, but I welcome any and all advice to get me ready for that 5K without any injurys. :)

Hi!

Congratulations of reaching one and a half miles so far, it is by no means your limit and it matters not a jot what time you do it in, you persevered and got there!!

Regarding being able to run further, a few factors to take into consideration:

Do not do the same route everytime, your subconscious will get bored before you do and before you know it you will start to get stale, the mind is a mysterious thing, don't give it a chance to get fed up.

This also goes for the distance you complete each session, change it about. Interval training is one of the best (in my opinion) things to do to break monotony, try something like 3 x half a mile at a slightly faster pace than you would normally run at. Inbetween each half a mile, walk for five minutes at a good pace. As you get fitter, try running 2 x one mile, walking inbetween. If you were to do two interval sessions per week, you will always be able to approach every training run fresh and raring to go. The trick to remember is that when you run, it must be slightly faster than the pace you ran when you did one and a half miles without stopping.

When you run your longer runs, each time, up the distance by just 100m, don't try to pusah too far, too fast, it can be offputting to the body to force that.

Eventually, you will become fitter and easily manage two miles in one go and then in the end you will complete that 5k without stopping.

I think you will breeze it all in the end, feel free to add me as a buddy if you want :flowerforyou:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    My 5k is on Nov. 13. I did C25k and it is worth it. (W8D3 Complete this morning)

With where you are at you should do it.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Congratulations on getting ready for your first race!! Relax and have fun with it, you will feel great afterwords :) No shame in walking for sure, best suggestion I 'd have it to do a walk/run combo, maybe run 5 minutes, walk 2 minutes or something like that! Let us know how it goes
  • amandalc980
    Thank you for all the advice. I am going to try the interval running tonight when I attempt my first two miles. Maybe I will really push myself for the short portions and slow to a jog/crawl for the long portions.

I am going to have my husband try the interval with walking when he runs again with me.

RVachon, what is the 10% rule?
  • amandalc980
    My 5k is on Nov. 13. I did C25k and it is worth it. (W8D3 Complete this morning)

With where you are at you should do it.

I may give it a try, just not start at week 1... Might be a good option when I have the kids running with me, though. Make it easier on them.
This discussion has been closed.