Insanity Workouts - 923 calories burned? Correct?

Options
I just started the third week of the insanity program and finally got a heart rate monitor to calculate how many calories I have burned. These are my results: The watch is set to.....

Weight: 155
Max Heart Beat: 193 (I took 220-27=193)

Watch Results:
Work-out: Plyometric Cardio Circuit
Average heart range during work-out: 192
Peak: 240
Calories burned: 923

Anyone know if these results are correct? It seems like a lot of calories burned.

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Your HR goes up to 240?! I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I think you're a freak of nature! lol

Max HR is supposed to be somewhere around 220-age. So mine should be 184 but I've gotten to 193 recently. I thought that was impressive.

Are you sure your HRM is working right?! If so... just run that by your doctor to make sure you're okay.

ETA: Try taking a manual count of your HR and compare it to what the HRM is saying. In all honesty, I burn about 350 calories for the 40 minute Plyo-Cardio circuit but my avg HR will be around 150 since there's a stretching session.
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I am going to take my heart rate manually tomorrow and see if it matches up. The watch I purchased got fairly good reviews for accuracy (Timex T5G971). I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wow that seems crazy! My max heart rate is around 180.. and for the plyometric cardio circuit I believe I burned about 400-450 max in those 40 minutes. I would adjust that HRM. ;) i WISH Insanity burned that many calories in the 40 minute workout!!! :) I just started week 3.. woohoo!

Also, I know this sounds weird but you might want to make sure you don't have anything else on you or around you that could be interfering with the HRM accuracy. When I put on my HRM and drive to the gym, I would notice that the heartbeat count skyrocketed while my car was on and I was driving (i.e. 220 beats+)! Same if I forget to take it off after my workout and get on the laptop... immediately jumps to 220-240.. which has to be impossible since I"m sitting down. haha.. Could be something to do with the wireless signal/frequency and interference.
  • beandawgy
    beandawgy Posts: 92
    Options
    I have the same HRM

Weight: 130
    When I've done Insanity (I'll post again the next time I do the Plyo Circuit workout) I've hovered around 600-700 calories burned.

I think the max I got my heart rate to was 171

I'll post better stats again later.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sounds way off! I'd have it checked out man.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM

Weight: 130
    When I've done Insanity (I'll post again the next time I do the Plyo Circuit workout) I've hovered around 600-700 calories burned.

I think the max I got my heart rate to was 171

I'll post better stats again later.
    This is close to what I get depending how hard I try. The most I have ever had was 720. and I felt like i was going to die. I keep my heart rate in the 170's with ave of 150-60's depending the day
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yeah above 200 is usually abnormal...I do INSANITY and the highest mine has gotten was 190-something but never past 200. I usually burn around 600-800 during plyometric cardio circuit, more if I do a walk/jog cool down and add it in to the overall calories burned.

Some people were telling me that 700 cal burned was way too high of a number, but I checked my heart rate manually while wearing my HRM to make sure it was working (multiple times during the workout) and then looked up a heart rate/calories burned calculator which proved that my HRM was correct!

In month two I have burned over 900 calories per workout...but they are longer and harder.

DIG DEEPER! :)
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: The HRM defiantly was having problems yesterday but I think I fixed the problem. I soaked the chest strap in water for a few minutes last night and made sure everything was off such as computers, phones, etc. My results are:

Workout: Insanity Pure Cardio
    Average HB: 164
    Peak: Didn't show up on the watch but with frequent checking I noticed about 192
    Calories burned: 609

Workout: Insanity Cardio Abs
    Average HB: 152
    Calories burned: 230

Does this sound a more accurate? Also my target heart range I put is:

Min: 156
    Max: 174
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Workout: Insanity Pure Cardio
    Average HB: 164
    Peak: Didn't show up on the watch but with frequent checking I noticed about 192
    Calories burned: 609

Definitely more like it!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I just did the plyo circuit yesterday. I have it set by percentage and I hit 96%. Average around 86%. I burned 620 cals.
  • JAGthis
    Options
    :smile: I just started doing it about a month ago, never thought of buying a heart monitor until now. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how much you lost because the average calories burned for insanity is 1000, so you probably did burn 923. GOOD JOB! How much was the heart rate monitor?
  • jacqxox
    Options
    WOW!! when I do plyo circuit I only burn like 215 cals and 194 if I don't finish
  • abbyjade92
    abbyjade92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://creationbasedhealth.com/2014/02/calculate-calories-burned-insanity-workout.html

Try this link.. Its only an estimate , but so is every other workout on the myfitnesspal app..