Strength Training

Options
kj26boys
kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Does anyone have a good website to get started on strength training? I know I need to incorporate this in my routine but just don't know exactly where to start.

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you going to a gym? If so, you might be able to get an appointment with a personal trainer, which I would think would be better than looking a website and hoping you've got good form. Otherwise I don't know, I took a class for weight training.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    This should give you a start
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womens-strength-training-guide.htm

Also look up 5x5.
    But also what jordanlell said, if you are going to a gym and can get a trainer to help you out.
  • kj26boys
    Options
    Yes I belong to a gym... My problem is I have a ways to go and want to go gradually into it. Then probably seek out a personal trainer once I get closer to my goal. Maybe my thinking is flawed?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The thing with personal trainers is the quality varies massively. Also they will have you switching up your training regularly, and will likely combine cardio and strength. If that's what you want, then great. But if you want to get serious about getting strong, it's not what you need.

If you can, find a trainer that will let you concentrate on the big compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, overhead press, power cleans, and just help you perfect your form. You're more likely to find a trainer like that in a gym focused on lifting.

Otherwise just go the route many here have taken (myself included) find a good online program - StrongLifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting all feature often - and take video of your form to have critiqued by knowledgeable members.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I guess I should clarify what I was thinking, I mean that you should have just a couple appointments with a personal trainer to show you how to safely perform the kinds of exercises that you want to do. That's not to say you shouldn't do some research of your own, that way you'll have some knowledge of what you want to do, and it may tip you off to a bad trainer if what they're saying is super inconsistent with your other sources.
    I just think it's better to have someone able to watch what you're doing for at least the first few times you perform a particular exercise
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    First read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Then read: Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1
    (You can also download the guide as a PDF
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5334823&page=1)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a simple program with very good results.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" very helpful. Read the entire thing before you start though. It will help explain the importance of a well balanced diet and macronutrients, compound lifting (as another poster mentioned), and give you photos and instructions on each exercise. It also dispels many myths that are out there about lifting. At the end it gives you a 6 months workout plan, and you choose your weights. This is definitely a gradual plan, and a good way to start out light and work your way up. Feel free to friend me! Hope this was helpful, good luck!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like scoobysworkshop.com. He has a lot of useful into up there (articles, videos, shows proper form, etc). Not everything he says jives with popular fitness/bodybuilders but for the most part I've been able to use his info for my benefit.
  • kj26boys
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all your help. I'll be checking these out.
This discussion has been closed.