Hurt leg doing squats?? help:)

Options
I've been weight lifting for a decent amount of time now but I just started squatting with actual weights a couple weeks ago. I hold a free weight in my hands infront of my chest and squat. All was well until about a week ago my outer calf on my right leg started hurting whenever I squat? It only happens on the one leg. I'm pretty sure my form is correct but I suppose I may be wrong. Wat do? SHould I just not squat for a bit and see if it goes away? Has this happened to anyone before? Thanks!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Rest it a bit.

No way of telling your form without video.

I would definitely work on form without weight or just a bar if that isn't too much before I went at it again.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for more exposure.

It is hard to say without seeing the video. But I am wondering what you mean by "outer calf?" Maybe the caffeine hasn't kicked in this morning and I'm not thinking right, but typically pain or soreness is going to be in the calf muscle itself.

And I'm not sure what the calf pain would be when performing squats, as they are not as much of a factor as the quads, hamstrings, and glutes during the repetition. But maybe look at foam rolling it or vigorously massaging the muscle prior to performing squats. Maybe do some bodyweight standing calf raises to warm up the muscle a bit?

Typically, pain in the calves can be a sign of dehydration. It's probably not the case here, but I mention it anyway, in case you might be overlooking it. When strength training, you want to be properly hydrated prior and during your workout.

Hope this gets resolved soon! Maybe some other folks might have some ideas.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    By outer calves do you mean your shins?

If it's sore that's fine. If it hurts that's no good don't work through it rest it.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If it's in the muscle, it sounds like you're describing your fibularis longus. If this is the case I wouldn't worry too much about it. Ice and massage until it's better.

Does your knee tend to wabble in and out when you squat? Could be the result of instability in that leg.
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. To answer some questions, it really doesn't feel like the muscle, almost more of the bone. I haven't done squats in about a week, and I'm gonna wait another week before I do them again and then hope the pain doesn't return