Atkins and exercise?

Options
Ok so I've heard that once you're off atkins you gain weight blah blah blah but I'm on atkins to train my mind in to having a different way of approaching foods, to know that I'm not actually hungry and need the sugar and to only eat when I am hungry and stop snacking on high sugar foods. I am doing the diet properly and will be sticking to all the phases.

My question is, is it ok to exercise on the Atkins diet? I love exercise and I want to stick to the 30 day shred DVD but by doing this will it rule out my weight loss or will it be beneficial?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Of course you can exercise. Shred on!
  • aquariusjeff1971
    Options
    Every person is different, but I tried to eliminate all carbs and exercise and i was MISERABLE and had no energy whatsoever. At the YMCA I could only swim five laps and I was done. While I currently stay away from Bread, Cereal and Pasta I do get carbs from potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes and a banana. I also got rid of all man made fats and only use olive and coconut oil, and the occasional pat of butter. Peanuts, almonds and avocados are great to. Cooking off a piece of chicken in a TBSP of olive and coconut oil gives it a great flavor, give it a twist of lime and a side of sweet potato and a vegetable. I use sea salt and every flavor of Mrs. Dash. I keep the carbs at about 30-50% of what they say you need and i'm able to swim for an hour, bike or walk without going INSANE. Chobani greek yougart is a great snack high in calcium and protein and is good with fruit. I'm able to keep the calories low, and high in protein but my workouts sucked without at least some natural carbohydrate. I'm trying to keep the meals balanced, healthy and creative. Chocolate slim fast shake is good i do a can every couple of days for a chocolate fix. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have more engery now than ever. I do water aerobics, water zumba, yoga, pilates and lift heavy and have plenty of energy. The body burns fat really well for energy is you give it the chance. I'll be doing a half marathon in November so am also training for that. I do not eat potatoes, bread, bananas etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The body can only draw energy from fat stores at a limited rate, so if you are doing exercise that burns a lot of calories in a relatively short period of time, be aware that you're looking at losing lean muscle mass if you're simultaneously running a significant calorie deficit with little to no carbs.

Whether that matters to you is of course a personal choice, it's just something to be aware of, especially over the long run.
  • Chadzgrl
    Options
    I am currently on Induction and doing the 30 Day Shred. I am on day two, a little tired, but I feel better already! I lost 70lbs after my first baby doing Atkins and Tae Bo, so I am expecting the same outcome. (fingers crossed!) Good luck to you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh and you will regain weight when you stop Atkins because your glycogen stores will replenish themselves...just saying..