Granola Bars

Options
Does anyone know any type of granola bars that aren't loaded with sugar or other crap? I love Nutrigrain bars, but the sugars are just horrible.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I was so surprised at just how much sugar is in the simple healthy foods out there. Took me a long time to get use to fat free milk and now I finally notice that it has 12G of sugar per serving. lol

I think the the only way to get the bars the way you like them is to make some your self. There are some recipies for those on this site if you do a search.
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    Try the Kashi brand...they are loaded with protein and nuts and are about 150 cals each. I eat them as a snack almost everyday ...and they are also all natural ingredients
    Hope this helps :)
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Try the Kashi brand...they are loaded with protein and nuts and are about 150 cals each. I eat them as a snack almost everyday ...and they are also all natural ingredients

LOL, I used to eat the Kashi brand, but I felt like a horse chewing oats. They got to be the perfect diet food because I would just look at them and decide I wasn't hungry.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LOL, I used to eat the Kashi brand, but I felt like a horse chewing oats. They got to be the perfect diet food because I would just look at them and decide I wasn't hungry.

hahahaha i swear thats gotta be the secret to my success then :laugh:
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Kashi granola bars are great.
  • coastalstorm25
    Options

Aww that's too bad...I really like them...i not too make of a sugar person so they work out well for me.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I like Nature Valley. It's 11 sugar, which is sort of midrange (but they are actual sugar, not fructose etc so that's better than the strawberry chews). Kashi has some low sugar ones - like 6g, but they are expensive. Have you ever considered making your own? There are tons of recipes. Too much work for me :) but it gives you tons of control.
  • nicolerichey
    Options
    If you get the bars that are high in fibre, it helps to balance out the calorie/fat intake. This is what I was once told by a pharmacist anyways, so I decided I liked that fact.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I like Kashi also and have them almost everyday. But, I don't like crunchy granola bars, I only get their chewy ones. I've made me own but I can't seem to keep the calories down while getting a good amount of protein. Maybe I should search for more recipes?

Good luck with your search, I know it can be very difficult!
  • austinr
    austinr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that sugars are not "bad", just be mindful of where they come from. Natural sources of sugars are fine, and give you the boost to get through the day. A brand like Kashi is great in terms of good sources of sugars.

Making them at home will often lead to an even higher sugar content, as many of these "diet" bars you can buy are already made with sucralose while you are likely to use sugars and honey if making them at home. One of the biggest challenges with homemade bars is portion control, so be careful...

I know granola bars are convenient, but you should look into finding an alternative snack if you are focused on low sugar intake. If you want a low sugar diet then you must cut out high GI fruits (fruits are full of sugar, and if you're concentrating on lowering overall intake, then cut these out of your diet), granola bars, and any pre packaged snack food. Try to look into low-sodium turkey jerky, vegetables with hummus or other bean based dips. A higher than normal protein and fibre diet will have you feeling full of energy and light on your feet!
  • austinr
    austinr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot: Quaker Fibre and Omega 3 Bars contain 7 grams of sugar per serving. If you need to keep these bars in your diet and want to keep sugar intake low then go with these.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is considered a granola bar, but I just discovered the Special K Chocolate Drizzle bars. Seriously...where have they been all my life? They are only 90 calories, and a great snack to hold you in between meals. I just had one right now. Mmmmmmmmm.............
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am watching my sugar intake. I do know some are good though. Chobani yogurt has a lot of sugar, but it's not BAD sugar. Nutrigrain bars have the bad sugar, I'm guessing. I saw it on a website anyway saying it's not a good bar at all.

I don't really have the patience to make my own bars, thanks though. LOL

I'll take a look at Kashi. I like soft ones too. :( my one year old enjoys them also. I buy her Nutrigrain bars since they are the only soft soft ones I can really find.

Those Special K ones sound good. Are they small though?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The Special K bars are on the small side. They are definitely made to be a light snack.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I got the Kashi ones! I got the cereal bars and the regular granola bars. The cereal ones are soft. :)

They are sooo good! When I eat it, it's like tasting actual fruit and actual oats. Nutrigrain tastes like pure sugar! I also love how there is no high fructose corn syrup!!!!