Girly topic ... Please help

Options
Hi everyone,
I have sort of an embarrassing question..... I am constipated every time I have my period for a couple days before all the way during and then like a day after I finish my period.
Is this normal!????
Any remedies to help?????
Please I hate it

Replies

• Midol and lots of water.
  • health1971
    Options
    Lots of water and fiber... Hope you feel better :flowerforyou: ...
  • hell0_123
    Options
    yeah um... Midol and water or you can get painkillers.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yeah um... Midol and water or you can get painkillers.
    Why in the world would she get painkillers for constipation?!
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Fiber and water should help and are you on any iron supplements? Cuz the iron will do that to you.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Constipation for some and diarrhea for others are common period symptoms. A combination of hormonal changes is the culprit. To keep things flowing, eat a fiber rich diet accompanied by lots of water. Water helps the fiber do its job. There are also some yoga moves you can do that help to push things along. If you are interested, I think you could find some good yoga info with a Google search. If the natural stuff fails to help, maybe a fiber powder you stir into water would help. I would definitely avoid the laxative pills since I read your body can get used to them and you can't "go" without them. Up to you though...
  • hell0_123
    Options
    for cramps.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    for cramps.

Well, she didn't say she had cramps, but okay.
  • Sarag0887
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    girls don't poop:wink:
  • audra925
    Options
    funny!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes tissues in the bowels can swell in response to the premenstrual and menstrual hormones. As others suggested do what you would normally do for the premenstrual and menstrual symptoms, Midol or advil (for inflammation...but don't take too much or it can have the opposite effect that you are hoping for). Go for a walk, drink water, limit iron pills, watch your diet for triggers or things that help. You know, the usual.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    for cramps.

Well, she didn't say she had cramps, but okay.

For some women, cramps feel a lot like constipation. It's possible that the two are connected, at least to the person who suggested pain killers.

OP - It's not uncommon to have bowel issues around your period. If you truly are constipated, extra fiber and possibly a stool softener or even Miralax as you near that time might help. It also wouldn't hurt to discuss it with your doctor at your next annual, just to make sure there isn't something we non-experts aren't overlooking. (I'm assuming that things "catch up" and get back to normal after, and are okay the rest of the month)
  • MissHoney26
    MissHoney26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article about how the hormones directed towards the parts that 'cramp' to release menstrual stuff also tend to wander off and make the wrong parts nearby 'cramp' causing diahhrea... But I can see how that process might cause constipation too
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think your issue is from the build up of the hormone progesterone that tapers away when you are in active menses. If you are on any form of birth control I would look into maybe trying something with a little less of that particular hormone. A half cup of coffee would always get things moving for me but a digestive tea might be better since copious amounts of caffeine can cause your uterine contractions to be worse. Good luck!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat an apple or two, maybe stay away from cheese for a day or two (it's been known to plug you up). This may sound silly, but if I go for a longer run (2-3 miles), it almost always shakes something loose ;o) Maybe go for a run on those days for your workout.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, changes in your digestive system is totally normal around your period. Some girls get constipated, others get the opposite :P

Like others have said, make sure you drink lots of water and eat lots of fibre (from fruits and veggies). Although it is tempting to lie around in bed and eat chocolate and other crap, you'll feel a lot better if you stay healthy and do some light exercise :wink:
  • catsandbooks
    catsandbooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Smooth move tea is great for constipation.
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have both lucky me... Constipation then diarrhea and severe cramps.. HAd cancer in my left ovary 9 years ago which was removed and still have cysts in my right so no fun. But also have constipation due to pain meds for bulging discs in back and neck and when cramps get worse, more pain meds means more constipation first. I think it adds to my water retention since my periods cause a gain of 4-8 pounds for a few days then a Quick lose of 4-5 pounds. Anyway, besides the fiber and water, my GP prescribes for me lactulose. It's not a painful laxitive that causes cramping. It's more like a stool softener because it pulls the water out too. It works within 12-24 hours and I make sure I take it for those few days or any other time I have to take more pain medicine and see constipation starting. It's pre measured liquid and really not bad. It doesn't hurt to ask if this us an ongoing issue. Good luck.
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am constipated every time I have my period for a couple days before all the way during and then like a day after I finish my period.

Me too. My suggestion is nothing to be worried about. I am fine as long as the period is done :)