How should i set my macros?

Options
I tend to have slightly lower carbs with higher fat and protein, and I was. Just wondering what a good guide for macros would be for fat loss?

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'd have it as Highest to lowest
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fat.
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tend to have slightly lower carbs with higher fat and protein, and I was. Just wondering what a good guide for macros would be for fat loss?

Please read this guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    And this is my version : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1111839-need-some-helps-with-the-calculation

All the best :)
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    5% Carbs
    25% Protein
    70% Fat

:)
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Macros are different for everyone and even vary with an individual at times.

I found this earlier. I don't know what others think of it but....

www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Good luck! :happy:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Please read this guide: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    And this is my version : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1111839-need-some-helps-with-the-calculation

All the best :)

Hey thanks from me too......I am bumping for safekeeping :bigsmile:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Also, you might move your macros around after a while.

Just to show you:
    I have 45% C, 20% P and 25% F. I found that I can go to 40% C a week, but if I get up to 50% C a week, that tends to indicate I am eating alot of junk and I just don't feel that good. I set my protein to 20 because I just can't go any higher without focusing my entire eating around getting all the protein. 20% equals nearly 1.5g of protein for each kg I weigh, so that is more than sufficient at this point for me.

If you have the android or iphone app for MFP, have a look at the pie chart breakdown of your macros at the end of each week. This is such a good way of checking how your eating habits break down into macros. That way I was able to learn how many carbs are enough for me, and that I can go with low fat much easier than low protein. Etc pp. You'll find your own balance after a while!
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If youve never tried low carb, I suggest you try it for a month and see how you feel and look. I HIGHLY recommend it, Im never hungry, and i dont starve my self. Its really great and the only thing that works for me.

I do

55% Fat (natural fats)
    35% Protein
    10% Carbs

I try to keep that carbs really low, if your considering a low fat diet, please consider lowering the carbs atleast lower than 45%, thats a REALLY high amount if you ask me. and not necessary for weight loss.
  • donjessop
    Options
    Institute of Medicine numbers:

Protein: recommended daily allowance is 0.37 grams per pound
    Carbs: minimum of 100 grams per day
    Fat: no concrete recommendation

As a percentage of your caloric intake it is recommended that if you are losing weight AND exercising you should be targetting 25% - 35% protein consumption. (The more strenuous the exercise the higher the percentage.) If you are trying to "bulk up" then that number will be even higher, but I am assuming that you want to lose weight and become fit, not a body builder.

Everyone is different, however, and some things may not work for you. Medical conditions may preclude you from following a particular pattern or even the availability/cost of foods will have an impact.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The less and 25-35% fat recommendation from heart.org seems sensible:

* Limit total fat intake to less than 25–35 percent of your total calories each day;
    * Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories;
    * Limit trans fat intake to less than 1 percent of total daily calories;
    * The remaining fat should come from sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats such as unsalted nuts and seeds, fish (especially oily fish, such as salmon, trout and herring, at least twice per week) and vegetable oils; and
    * Limit cholesterol intake to less than 300 mg per day, for most people. If you have coronary heart disease or your LDL cholesterol level is 100 mg/dL or greater, limit your cholesterol intake to less than 200 milligrams a day.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how differently everyone does things. I like to keep mine fairly even to keep me feeling stable at 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Carbs - 20%
    Protein - 35%
    Fat - 50%

This really works well for me.

I consider the 20% for carbs to be a maximum which I try to stay under and the 50% fat to be a minimum and have no problem exceeding it. People in general are good about trying to get enough protein, but most don't get anywhere as much fat as they should be getting and are eating way too many carbs in a typical modern diet.

Eat low fat to get fatter. Eat high fat to get leaner. It sounds counter-intuitive, but give it a try for a few weeks and it'll start making sense as you start dropping body fat faster than you ever did eating a low fat diet.