stupid questions and comments asked by people

Options
Not sure if I am posting this in the right section but thought this might be fun. So been doing this for a while now and lost 57 lbs and went from a size 14 to 3. I recently saw some family for the first time since my weight loss and some of the comments and questions I got were ridiculous! I try not to talk about my weight loss unless I am asked about however it seems to be a topic a lot of people have an opinion on. Some were convinced I had had my stomach stapled or had Lap band surgery and said things like, oh you must have great insurance or I could lose weight if I had that surgery too! I did this naturally. Others were convinced I wasn't eating enough and were concerned " I would blow away." My favorite came from the people that commented on the fact that I finally lost all that "baby weight" ( my youngest is 19!) My MIL said I wasn't eating or cooking enough and was starving my poor husband! This one made me laugh since my hubby has actually PUT ON weight! One person actually asked my husband in private if I had an eating disorder! I love the sabotage comments, oh you can eat THIS today because you don't need to lose any more weight or today is a special day so eat what you want or I hope your not gonna lose anymore weight, so they put the most tempting treats in front of you and possibly the rudest, I hope your done with this healthy eating phase and go back to eating normally! And finally there are the overweight friends and family that didn't say a thing but stared me down like I was now their enemy and silently watched me when I ate my dinner like there was something wrong with me! LMAO. What are some of your most ridiculous comments you've received since losing weight?

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Innit. Some people so threatened and hostile when you get your shet together.

But there'll always be others who are rooting for you! :flowerforyou:
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've had a ton of comments, especially recently as I approach my goal weight. At the moment I'm 142 lbs and 5'6 so although healthy, definitely not underweight. I had a coworker tell me I'm starting to look emanciated, I had a client say "wow youve lost a lot of weight!! Was it on purpose? You look very gaunt and sick.":angry: I had someone tell me I need to eat more (I eat 2000+ calories a day) .

Where were all these concerned people when I was eating myself into obesity?
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've had a ton of comments, especially recently as I approach my goal weight. At the moment I'm 142 lbs and 5'6 so although healthy, definitely not underweight. I had a coworker tell me I'm starting to look emanciated, I had a client say "wow youve lost a lot of weight!! Was it on purpose? You look very gaunt and sick.":angry: I had someone tell me I need to eat more (I eat 2000+ calories a day) .

Where were all these concerned people when I was eating myself into obesity?

Amen to this, guess seeing a HEALTHY person is getting unusual lol ! Congrats on 91! awesome
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A very overweight friend (should I even call her a friend?) said to me: Great, you might be skinny, but you will have way more wrinkles on your face than me. Not like me. Do you like getting wrinkles? She said, she would rather be fat than having wrinkles. LOL
  • jenni765
    Options
    I have a very over weight friend, who now I'm loosing weight keeps trying to guilt feed me cakes etc when I visit. She keeps saying I look ill and she thought we were both happy being *large boned*.....ermm Nope I was just lieing to myself then.
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 45 lb and gone from being overweight to being fairly thin. I don't talk about weight loss or calories or exercise at all, and am always a little embarrassed when people bring it up. In my line of work, there are some people I see regularly, but usually at set intervals, like every 6 months or every year. So most of these people I'm seeing now are amazed at the difference in how I look. Most are complimentary and ask me for my secret, but I've had a few ask me whether I'm okay, meaning, I guess, whether I have some illness that's made me lose a lot of weight.

The difference in my situation is that this is how much I weighed before I had my first child 9 years ago. People who knew me then aren't surprised by how I look now, but I work with a lot of people who didn't know me then, so they're all surprised.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have been asked if it was unpurpose. I am 1 lb from my personal goal weight and was told by someone who if I implied that they needed to lose more weight would pitch a hissy fit, that I should lose 5 extra lbs as I will gain 5 lbs once I reached my goal.

Those that asked if I had surgery. The way I look now, I would have no problem pulling up my shirt and asking them, "Do you see a scar, or do you think they go down my throat, or up my *kitten*?"

People that are overweight are pissed that you did it, and they can't. Those that felt better about themselves because you were bigger hate the fact that now you are not, and they have to review what they see in the mirror.

Those that say and do things to you just need to be looked at straight in the eye and told, "Losing weight and getting healthy isn't for everyone I guess.". Unless they have the IQ of a turnip, they will get the point.

I have no patience for STUPID!
  • padams2359
    Options
    Bump, Bump, Bump. Can't Touch This!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I love the sabotage comment...

It's no different than here in the forums. When one person succeeds at something that "isn't supposed to work", it's viewed by some as a direct statement about their own inability to achieve the same.

Just have to let it roll off your back, and go on living.

That said, I've dropped nearly 70 pounds from my peak, and nobody in my life has been anything but congratulatory and complimentary. Yes, there are "come on, you can eat more!" comments from family, of course, but that's a cultural thing that is said to everybody, and certainly doesn't qualify as "sabotage"!
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ive only lost a kg so far and my mother started freaking out even though I told her I was doing it the healthy, normal way.. she's like "oh dear, I hope you're eating and not starving yourself. Don't lose any more, okay?"
    And I'm like
    .... :l

Because the only way to lose weight is to stop eating completely :l :l
    It's annoying that weight loss has turned into something negative for a lot of people.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    oh yea, people are catty and want to assume the worst. I was accused of all those things too. Very annoying ! I was on drugs, sick, starving myself.. When they asked how I lost weight they were completely uninterested. They wanted to hear that I drank grapefruit juice for breakfast-lunch & dinner. When I said 1200 calories a day and exercise, their eyes glaze over.
  • padams2359
    Options
    When it is unhealthy, they have an excuse. You are holding a mirror up to their faces and they don't like it.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was asked "when " i got lapband... Not "if" but 'when'. RUDE
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    UUUGGHGHH this stuff makes me angry too!!

When I first started losing weight I was accused of an eating disorder by my closest friends, who would always bother me about my weight and what I was eating. Ironically, I had suffered from binge eating disorder which is why I put on weight in the first place, but they seemed to disregard that when I tried to talk to them about it.

Totally know what you mean with sabotaging comments. My grandma when I went home for Christmas - Gosh you're so slim, you won't be needing to worry about what you're eating will you? *proceeds to feed me all the food* (her food is pretty damn tasty so whatever)
  • Shanny5909
    Shanny5909 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker make fun of me because I didn't know what planking or burpees were, and overheard her say "oh she'll never keep the weight off unless she starts a real fitness routine instead of just walking. I have lost 87lbs and have 49 to go from "just walking". This person has lost 53 lbs, but because I need to lose 137 she seems to feel that she is better than me. Some people are just *kitten*.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    When I first changed my eating habits (must be almost 7 years ago) I never told anyone ....... one coworker noticed after I lost about 25 pounds ....... she was very encouraging :heart:

But another coworker was furious that I'd "started a diet" without her ....... she actually stopped talking to me for awhile ........

Yup, good times :laugh: