Thoughts on Food (not muscle) Confusion?

Options
For several months I've been eating roughly 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat macros and doing intense cardio 5 days a week (T25, if you must know). I'm 5'11'', and my weight had been hovering around 159 (very briefly) to 161. TDEE around 1600 cals/day. Two weeks ago I get sick, and I do the comfort eating for about a week (lots of carbs, not much protein or fat), high fevers, loss of appetite, and stayed under my TDEE (not that I planned to, just lost my appetite). Definitely physically could NOT work out at all. Weight pretty much stayed the same. Now onto week 2, as I recover from my illness (turns out it was pneumonia, and I was put on serious antibiotics), I haven't been working out, but forced myself back onto 40/30/30 at TDEE 1700 to minimize muscle loss, and fuel my body for recovery. What I discovered is that this week, the weight is just melting away. I've been hydrating myself like crazy, so it can't all be water weight, can it? Basically, as I recover, I've reached my "goal weight (157)" and a little beyond. Starting my exercising this week with slow walking only, as I don't think my body is ready for intense cardio yet. Diary is open, in case you're interested.

Just wondering if the jolt of carbs into my system two weeks ago might have contributed to this weight drop? This week, if anything, I've been eating more, and not really exercising much aside from the walking, yet the weight is coming off. I'm not complaining or anything, but has anybody else experienced this?

Replies

• LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Interested to see peoples thoughts on this.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Me too. Any takers out there?
  • osucristina30
    Options
    Check out Choose to Lose, by Chris Powell. It's about something called carb cycling, and despite the gimmicky look/trainer, I've heard good things!
  • rypstorm
    Options
    Thanks for the link jpolinisse! Very informative. Maybe I should be popping leptin like skittles.:wink: Osucristina30, thanks for the reference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    157 to 161 isn't a great deal of weight flux... if you were having a hard time before- you may have just hit what you thought was cutting- but was really maintenance. But I flux around 5 lbs in general on a day to day basis anyway.

I got adjusted to a calorie deficit after 2 months or so... and had to re-evaluate- I lost a month of cutting because I wasn't paying enough attention. TDEE is something that has to be re-evaluated as the body adjusts. it's always fighting for equilibrium- so if you found it- then you have to re-vamp and go lower.. change things.

If you are where you are happy- just keep eating as you are... although I'd recommend weight training- because 5 days of cardio.. blarg. LOL Totally not my thing- and weights ALWAYS help. but if you are happy with how you look- go for it- do what you are doing.
  • rypstorm
    Options
    157 to 161 isn't a great deal of weight flux... if you were having a hard time before- you may have just hit what you thought was cutting- but was really maintenance. But I flux around 5 lbs in general on a day to day basis anyway.

I got adjusted to a calorie deficit after 2 months or so... and had to re-evaluate- I lost a month of cutting because I wasn't paying enough attention. TDEE is something that has to be re-evaluated as the body adjusts. it's always fighting for equilibrium- so if you found it- then you have to re-vamp and go lower.. change things.

If you are where you are happy- just keep eating as you are... although I'd recommend weight training- because 5 days of cardio.. blarg. LOL Totally not my thing- and weights ALWAYS help. but if you are happy with how you look- go for it- do what you are doing.

Hey thanks for your input. I was doing weight training for 3 months (chalean extreme dvd's), and after that decided to do some intense cardio for a spell to lean things up a bit (supposed to last two months, until I got pneumonia). I'm not sure how my lungs can tolerate intense cardio at the moment, so I'm thinking that when i start working out again (in the next day or so) I may start back up with chalean extreme again. My prior weight fluctutaion was around 160.5 - 162. Now it's from 156.5 - 159. But you're right, I could move some bowels and drop two pounds (j/k :0).