Question for you other maintainers

Ok, so I've been maintaining for a few months now and really haven't seen much of a difference on the scale from week to week (that's the point of maintaining, right?). However, I'm finding that I am still losing inches, particularly in my waist. Since I was quite a bit heavier at one point, I do have some loose skin in certain places and I know that loose skin does eventually begin to retract, but is this something that is typical when one moves to maintenance?

I've probably lost an additional 1" off of my waist on top of what I lost when I was in weight loss mode. I started noticing a difference in the mirror before curiosity got the best of me and I elected to pull out the tape measure. I'm definitely not complaining, I'm just curious if others here have experienced something similar.

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    I've read that it can take up to a year for your body composition to stop changing after you lose weight. My weight has finally stabilized into a 3lb range but in the last couple weeks I've noticed my jeans are now loose again, even though the scale has stayed consistent.

Part of the process I guess :)
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    I've been maintaining within a 3lb +/- range for nearly 2 years, but have noticed in the last 3 months or so that I'm feeling flabbier. Clothes are no tighter, and I've not routinely measured so it is no more than a feeling. I can only assume it is the age thing catching up with me.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Although I'm maintaining, I continue to work out and lift heavy 4-5x a week. I've upped my calories so I won't lose, but I'm still losing inches.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You definitely can change without your weight moving - although I'm deliberately trying to recomp.
    Body fat is deceasing and muscle mass is increasing slowly, my waist has gone down and my arms and legs have got bigger along with better muscle definition.

Different people have also noticed changes from my sister in law saying I looked less "gaunt" than I did a few months ago - exaggeration, I've never been gaunt in my life!
    I've also been told that "you've got your bum back" - apparently it went somewhere for a while????

Being much older it does take longer for your skin to catch up though - part of the reason I deliberately lost my weight slowly.
  • Same here. you might be gaining muscle mass and losing fat.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Although I'm maintaining, I continue to work out and lift heavy 4-5x a week. I've upped my calories so I won't lose, but I'm still losing inches.

Ditto. My weight is remaining in the same 5lb +/- range, but I am still losing inches and getting firmer (legs and core especially).
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Since I was quite a bit heavier at one point, I do have some loose skin in certain places and I know that loose skin does eventually begin to retract, but is this something that is typical when one moves to maintenance?

I've probably lost an additional 1" off of my waist on top of what I lost when I was in weight loss mode. I started noticing a difference in the mirror before curiosity got the best of me and I elected to pull out the tape measure. I'm definitely not complaining, I'm just curious if others here have experienced something similar.

Please tell me its the skin retracting! I have just started maintenance and hoping my skin will catch on soon that it can stop flapping :blushing:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I haven't lost 'weight' really in over a year and have pretty much stayed within a 5 lb range... however, my dress size this time one year ago was a loose 10 and is now a 6.

So assuming you're incorporating a strength training program, its very possible and very likely you will continue to change your composition.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I am experiencing the same thing. As I continue to hit my activity (exercise) targets and continue to maintain my macros / calories in, my clothes continue to be fitting a bit looser. And my energy level continues to rise.

The more eat with watching sodium and sugar, the clearer my skin is, as well as I don't seem to have as much "water gain" during the day, even though I am drinking 8+ cups of water a day.

Another good reason to log. Macros and sodium/sugar monitoring. As you body changes/ages/etc, it is good information to look back on.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Even thought you are maintaining, your body will still readjust itself for up to a year. You are still exercising and toning things and all of your "bits and pieces" have to find new places to hang out. After all this is your lifestyle change--so go forth and change:flowerforyou:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    It took me a while to settle after maintaining. Plus, my weight might stay the same (through maintenance) but my body shape will adjust according to what exercise routine I am doing at the time.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I knew I wasn't the only one. It's very encouraging to still be seeing physical changes, even though I am eating to maintain. I plan to stick to my exercise routine, eat and just enjoy the ride.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I did. I'm exercising a bit more, but all the muscles (and skin) are tightening up over what is essentially empty space where the fat was.

It is exactly the same process as after I had a baby. Also - just like after a baby - I can tell when I am losing weight (or bulk) because my back hurts. The abdomonal muscles become too loose to hold everything in place. And then they tighten up and I'm fine.

I've only lost 20% of my body weight (40 pounds). I can't imagine what this is like for people who have lost so much more.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Similar: I've gained a little weight (within my range) but the measurements have not increased. I've recently started measuring bodyfat % as well so I'll be interested to see what happens with that over time.