How many calories do you leave for dinner?

Options
I was just wondering how many calories other people tend to eat at dinner (or even after although I TRY not to snack after dinner)? I've heard that it's better to eat more throughout the day and less in the evenings. I however get upset if I have anything less than 500 calories left for my evening meal. I was raised believing that the evening meal should be the largest meal of the day.

What about you? How many calories do you leave for the last meal of the day?

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I try to be realistic with myself, so I leave around 650 for dinner and 300 for my middle of the night snacking.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Typically, 500-1000 depending on my activity levels for the day. I love a good, hardy meal at the end of a long day.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Try planning out your whole day, you can modify later but it takes the stress out of "leaving calories for dinner" - this is my new approach because I was stressing over that very thing and found myself worrying about having "enough" left for dinner which just led to me being overly hungry at dinner because I didn't eat enough for lunch, wanting to leave more for the evening lol ... That is the way I ended up overeating later in the day time and time again.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I think I'm usually at 500 left for dinner unless I get two workouts in that day. I'm a lot like you - I like to have a big dinner! Sometimes, though, I'm a bottomless pit during the day and eat my calories earlier.

It doesn't really matter if you eat more later in the day. Your body processes calories the same at night as it does throughout the day. All you need to worry about is sticking to your counts and getting the right macros in your diet.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually have around 800-1000 calories left for dinner & whatever; however, I eat ~2000 calories a day. If I want restaurant food for dinner, I really need about 1k calories available.

And of course, since I usually exercise at night, that can add more calories into the evening availability too (but sometimes I do not eat back exercise calories till the next day). As long as my week balances out at my net goal, all is well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you can eat whenever you want...meal timing and metabolism are irrelevant. So if you want to save some calories for a post dinner snack then by all means do it.

I usually have about 700 to 1000 cals for dinner, but I like to have my largest meal post workout for training reasons...and I always save about 100 cals for something that I want in the evening...

and eating in the evening will not make you "fat" that is a myth...
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories a day and try to reserve 600 - 650 cals for dinner and a small evening snack. I helps to plan meals early in the day or the night before.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh and planning out your day the night before is a great suggestion. I usually do this so that I can fit things in ...like tonight I wanted to have pizza on the grill..so I put in my dinner first and then worked backwards from there so that I would be under calories and come pretty close to my macros....
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I am a night time eater. If I don't have 1000 cal remaining for dinner and after dinner/overnight snacking, I'm in trouble. I eat less during the day (when I'm not usually all that hungry) to accommodate this.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I pick our dinner for the night based on what I had for breakfast. If I had a low calorie breakfast, then I'll have steak or a hefty side, if I had a pretty big breakfast, it's either a chicken or fish and lots of veggies night. I had a 90 caorie fiber bar for breakfast this morning(wasn't hungry at all) so we're having steak tonight for the first time in like three weeks! I'm excited ;)
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    oh and planning out your day the night before is a great suggestion. I usually do this so that I can fit things in ...like tonight I wanted to have pizza on the grill..so I put in my dinner first and then worked backwards from there so that I would be under calories and come pretty close to my macros....

This is kind of what I do... my breakfast generally stays the same, than I figure out what's for dinner and the remainder of the days calories go to lunch.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I try to distribute calories evenly throughout the day. I eat about 1800 calories/day, so I usually leave 600+ calories for dinner and dessert. I track all my meals and snacks in the morning before I eat anything so that I can stay balanced.
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it around 400 calories and no carbs. I don't like heavy meals before bedtime and we usually having dinner around 6-7 pm. I would rather go hungry to bed then overstuffed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I try to be realistic with myself, so I leave around 650 for dinner and 300 for my middle of the night snacking.

this is pretty much what I do as well.

I prefer to eat lighter during the day and have 1/2 (or more) of my calories for after 6pm. It's just how I prefer to eat, and it works for me.
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. It's really interesting to read everyone's habits :).

I had a personal trainer who once told me not to eat carbs in the evening....but not always possible for us as we try not to have meat every single night of the week. I did however lose a lot of weight at that time and seemingly easily (I did not calorie count and mainly ate natural foods and definitely no bread). I think I like calorie counting better however as I travel for work and sometimes find it quite challenging to eat clean when in hotels etc.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    depends what kind of day ive had and how early i plan to stay awake or sleep... If i'm having an early dinner i have 300-400cals so then i can have desert =D.. If it's late its about 300-500cals.. If i've had a huge work out day. I'll have a pizza night and wine 500-600cals omnomnom!
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to leave at least 600. Any less and I'm cranky.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering how many calories other people tend to eat at dinner (or even after although I TRY not to snack after dinner)? I've heard that it's better to eat more throughout the day and less in the evenings. I however get upset if I have anything less than 500 calories left for my evening meal. I was raised believing that the evening meal should be the largest meal of the day.

What about you? How many calories do you leave for the last meal of the day?

i eat most of my calories at dinner. because that way my husband can witness me eating and not be concerned. 500 cals for dinner. and another 100 for a late night snack, or after dinner dessert, or wine with dinner.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. It's really interesting to read everyone's habits :).

I had a personal trainer who once told me not to eat carbs in the evening....but not always possible for us as we try not to have meat every single night of the week. I did however lose a lot of weight at that time and seemingly easily (I did not calorie count and mainly ate natural foods and definitely no bread). I think I like calorie counting better however as I travel for work and sometimes find it quite challenging to eat clean when in hotels etc.

i eat carbs with dinner. it's not a thing.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My trainer said to leave most of the cals for dinner. I usually allow about 600.