Balancing a Binge

Options
Late last night, my husband and I decided to go out for a late night movie and snack. Being unexpected, I hadn't budgeted any calories and I wound up going maybe 600-700 over my daily amount of 1600. I'm not overly concerned about the calories because I've been coming in under budget every day for more than two weeks now and life happens. However, due to being out late I slept in and only just ate my first meal of the day at noon. I wasn't particularly hungry (and still feel a bit queasy, to be honest), so I didn't eat much. Though I could certainly eat a thousand-plus calories for dinner (and have done so MANY times in the past!) I don't particularly want to. I've read a zillion entries warning people away from not eating enough calories, but if you ate a lot the previous day couldn't it just balance out? A person can't go into 'starvation' mode in a day, can they?

Thanks in advance, trying to do this right!

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It is long term low calorie diets that cause problems. It is fine for most people to balance over the course of several days to even a week. Some people purposely zig zag calories too.
  • Redfern55
    Options
    I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I imagine many people go over their calories on one day and then eat under then next. Pretty sure it all balances itself out.
  • Emilyloosingfifty
    Options
    I doubt one day under your recommended calories would hurt, but make sure it doesn't send you into a binge later tonight (sometimes this happens to me if I eat too little during the day!)
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others and wouldn't worry about an occasional binge. It is impossible to really stick to a good nutrition plan without a cheat meal here and there. That is what helps us maintain our sanity. Just don't let the one bad day derail all the hard work you have put in. Carry on from here on and don't beat yourself up over a binge.

I have found that drinking Shakeology for breakfast curbed my cravings for junk food - so I have fewer days where I even want to binge.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do that on purpose quite regularly. If I'm invited to a frigging hot dog party at a friend's house, I'm not gonna stop at one hot dog. And I'll want dessert. So I under-eat for a few days. Not majorly, just no snacks, extra veggies etc. It gives me the chance to indulge in food without having to feel bad.