HIIT vs Strength Training For Fat Loss

Options
Say for instance your on a 300 calorie deficit and your only doing one routine which one would give you the best results? Does HIIT get rid of fat quicker or strength training?

Replies

• Slumza
    Slumza Posts: 33
    Options
    Also your macronutrients is set on 45% carbs 30% Protein and 25% Fats.
  • _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    Strength training..You will still be burning cals after the workout and build muscle at the same time
  • _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    Also your macronutrients is set on 45% carbs 30% Protein and 25% Fats.

uhm yeah rather customize your macros according to the Katch mcardle formula for optimal results. 30% protein is very low
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Why not do both?

Strength train mon,wed,fri
    Cardio/HIIT tues,thurs,sat
    Rest Sunday

And personaly I prefer 40% carb 40% protein 20% fat, but each to their own ????
  • maundrelle
    maundrelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    HIIT also burns fat long after your workout. Lots of studies have proved this.
    That being said, a lot of HIIT routines INCORPORATE strength moves such as squats, pull ups, push ups and shoulder presses into the routine. The only difference is the increase in heart rate from the cardio element of HIIT, which makes it way more intense than regular weight lifting.

Having said that, both regular strength training and HIIT seem to work equally well for weight loss. I think it comes down to what you prefer to do.

I do both strength and HIIT, but I have to say that HIIT is more fun, for me.

And why would you only do one routine? I would say, switch it up now and then. Try something new. :)
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Strength training is superior for fat loss. That said, I also find that HIIT (tabatas and sprinting mainly) helps my strength training. Something to do with oxygen utilization... maybe someone here a little more sciency then myself can back that up. One or two sessions a week does the trick, never lasting more then 10 - 15 minutes (warm-ups included).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Say for instance your on a 300 calorie deficit and your only doing one routine which one would give you the best results? Does HIIT get rid of fat quicker or strength training?

No meaningful difference, they result in similar fat metabolizing profiles.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options

No meaningful difference, they result in similar fat metabolizing profiles.

But afterwards through strength training the body will look better.
  • WantToBeHealthy36
    Options
    bumping for later :tongue:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was just lifting from Sept 2013 until yesterday.

I am now lifting m/w/f and HIIT Tu/Th and maybe Sat (depends on how I feel)

My Macros are set at 30% protien (based on 26% bf about 120g min), 30% fat and the rest carbs which works out to 44%.

I hardly hit my carb tho...

I did a form of HIIT for 2 months prior to lifting and I lost 13inches and 8lbs

Since I have been lifting 6.25lbs and 3.5inches

Sounds like a significant difference but when I did the 8week HIIT I was a lot softer then I am now.

If i had to choose I would take lifting no questions asked.