Nutella

Options
Who here eat Nutella? I recently started eating it again in small amounts after years of not having it because it's been a big fear food of mine, but I decided to face my fear...or at least one of them. :love: :tongue:

If I have it now, even in small amounts, is this when I should start tracking sugar? :frown: I've been afraid to have it everyday or more than twice a week, even if it's not a lot at once....Example, I put it on Weetabix cereal and oatmeal.

Replies

• Mrslldavies
    Mrslldavies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started having it a few weeks ago every morning in my porridge, I found that it actually hurt my teeth with all the sugar! Plus I started eating it by the spoonful when I needed a choccy fix, no more Nutella in my house! Ha
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started having it a few weeks ago every morning in my porridge, I found that it actually hurt my teeth with all the sugar! Plus I started eating it by the spoonful when I needed a choccy fix, no more Nutella in my house! Ha

I guess I just have good self control then lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You probably want responses from recovered people more than anything so I will refrain from answering because that is not my forte. Good luck though OP, congrats on your success up to now. :flowerforyou:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating around 700 calories a day most days so I wouldn't worry about tracking sugars right now...I'd worry about getting your calories up.

Obviously in the long term, you'd want to follow the old 80/20 rule of thumb for overall health aka 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good'
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    You probably want responses from recovered people more than anything so I will refrain from answering because that is not my forte. Good luck though OP, congrats on your success up to now. :flowerforyou:

That wasn't my point in posting this but thank you. :smile:

I posted this because i don't want to gain yet even before starting recovery, but i want to have Nutella... :frown: I'm afraid that because it's added sugar and the oils that i will gain weight, no matter the amount I have....even if I'm under calories...
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    You seem to be eating around 700 calories a day most days so I wouldn't worry about tracking sugars right now...I'd worry about getting your calories up.

Obviously in the long term, you'd want to follow the old 80/20 rule of thumb for overall health aka 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good'

No, i can eat up to 1,400. i dont track all meals because i cant. i take educated guesses and make sure i leave at least 400 - 500 left for dinner.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

but most days are 1, 200 or below that...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I love it. I make a great mousse and/or pie filling ( chocolate crust!) with Nutella, cream cheese, whipping cream, and sugar. OMG is it good....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I love it. I make a great mousse and/or pie filling ( chocolate crust!) with Nutella, cream cheese, whipping cream, and sugar. OMG is it good....

Ah geez....yeah....wow....
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

Ah geez....yeah....wow....

?
  • bethjennifer
    bethjennifer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nutella has sabotaged my weight loss success too many times. I've come to the conclusion that it is better out of my home, out of my life. Too good to resist.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Nutella has sabotaged my weight loss success too many times. I've come to the conclusion that it is better out of my home, out of my life. Too good to resist.

Sooo...moderation.. lol
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Then, to be blunt (sorry!), you need to up your calories because if your one photo is anything to judge by, you're as skinny as a rake girl!

But anyway, on the main point, Nutella isn't some evil substance waiting to pounce on you and kill you. It's just food. I happen to think it's totally gross, but if you like it then have it. In the over-all 'eating healthy' scheme (and I'm not talking about calories here), highly sugared foods should make up a minority portion of a diet rather than being a) the majority or b) avoided completely.

Having said that - Nutella on Wheetabix sounds disgusting. Why don't you try whipping yourself up a crepe and putting a spoon of Nutella in the middle with some sliced banana? That sounds light years better! :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I posted this because i don't want to gain yet even before starting recovery, but i want to have Nutella... :frown: I'm afraid that because it's added sugar and the oils that i will gain weight, no matter the amount I have....even if I'm under calories...

Yeah I knew that. And thinking like this is why I was hoping you'd get more replies from recovered people. I wish there was a way to make it obvious you are re-welcoming a scary food into your life and for mostly recovered people to focus their replies here. I'm proud of you for un demonizing a food but would like to see you get the support you need for taking this step without the thread devolving into just a plain old love for nutella thread. LOL.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Then, to be blunt (sorry!), you need to up your calories because if your one photo is anything to judge by, you're as skinny as a rake girl!

But anyway, on the main point, Nutella isn't some evil substance waiting to pounce on you and kill you. It's just food. I happen to think it's totally gross, but if you like it then have it. In the over-all 'eating healthy' scheme (and I'm not talking about calories here), highly sugared foods should make up a minority portion of a diet rather than being a) the majority or b) avoided completely.

Having said that - Nutella on Wheetabix sounds disgusting. Why don't you try whipping yourself up a crepe and putting a spoon of Nutella in the middle with some sliced banana? That sounds light years better! :smile:

judging by her chosen screenname (which is right under her profile pic you observed) I beleive she may be recovering from food issues and for that reason I think I would refrain from judging her food choices or at least that's what I did. She seems to be making strides and just doesn't seem to know whether she should start counting sugar grams while adding in a new scary food to her repertoire. I don't have experience with ED so I don't know if that's a thing or not.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

Yeah I knew that. And thinking like this is why I was hoping you'd get more replies from recovered people. I wish there was a way to make it obvious you are re-welcoming a scary food into your life and for mostly recovered people to focus their replies here. I'm proud of you for un demonizing a food but would like to see you get the support you need for taking this step without the thread devolving into just a plain old love for nutella thread. LOL.

Thank you!
    Yeah, i understand.....I want actual answers to my question...not recipes, not people bashing it hardcore, no hate, ect.... I just want to know if Nutella would make me gain weight even if eaten in small amounts just because it's added sugars and oils. I keep hearing the "if it fits your macros" but that never applies for sugar because it's hard to be under when you're eating something like Nutella....but I eat more sugars from fruit than anything....but now that i'm slowly getting over my fear of Nutella, I'll be eating it again.....and slowly adding more...
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

judging by her chosen screenname (which is right under her profile pic you observed) I beleive she may be recovering from food issues and for that reason I think I would refrain from judging her food choices or at least that's what I did. She seems to be making strides and just doesn't seem to know whether she should start counting sugar grams while adding in a new scary food to her repertoire. I don't have experience with ED so I don't know if that's a thing or not.

Thank you..
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

Uhm, disgusting?! I love Weetabix! And Nutella....you don't like either of those things but I do. I'm only asking a question...
  • catherinehanlon58
    Options
    I hear you! Good for you :)
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    I hear you! Good for you :)

I feel like I'm being bashed in a way now..... :frown: Like I'm making a horrible choice by eating Nutella again after not having it for years.... I'm sorry....I can't help but feel that way.