strength training - Inputting weight used?

Options
aishazi
aishazi Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I was just wondering when you enter strength training exercises, when using dumbbells, do you input the combined weight of the two dumbbells or the weight of one inidivdual dumbbell?

so like today I often used two 8lb dumbbells and I wasn't sure whether to log it as using a weight of 8lbs or 16lbs?

Any replies much appreciated :smile:

Replies

• aishazi
    aishazi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    should I have maybe put this post somewhere else? Not sure exactly hah
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    As long as you are logging it the same way every time so you can track your improvements it shouldn't matter. My roommate in college insisted on just tracking the weight of the plates on the bar when we lifted. Whatever floats your boat I guess :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I add mine under cardio, so i can log my calories burned -cant add weight there. Log it how ever it would make sense to you
  • cali_ketos
    cali_ketos Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    True I also long mines under cardio so I can track calories burned.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    FWIW I think with dumbbell exercises it makes sense to log the weight of one of them. Not every exercise involves using both arms and so it's easier (for me) to think of where I'm at in terms of half the weight.

But it really is a matter of opinion, for exercises like squats or lunges which are often done with other types of weight it'd make more sense to log the total. So you can't really win :)

Osric
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    IMO you should also be logging them under strength training (or somewhere else outside of MFP) to you can track your progress.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    If you log it as dumbbell, put the weight of the dumbbell.
This discussion has been closed.