Ankylosing spondylitis friends???? Or back pain?

Options
Hello Ankylosing spondylitis anyone? anyone at all? lol Not sure there will be many of you fellow AS (disease in my spine and jonts i call it arthrtis on steroids for those who dont know)patients out there but if there are a handful on this site would be amazing. Would like to interact with other AS'ers out there trying to lose weight. How are you finding it? What sort of exercise do you do? Give each other helpful tips. Or even people with arthritis/ chronic back pain. Look forward to hear back from you :-)

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I don't have that diagnosis, but do have slight scoliosis so deal with chronic back pain. The VERY BEST thing I have found to help is yoga. Specifically, Rodney Yee's Back Care Yoga dvd. It provides a great all-over stretch and really stretches and strengthens the back. You should check with your doctor to make sure it's ok for you to do this, though. I would hate to cause you more pain.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have Sciatica, which deals with the main nerve that runs down the spine called the Sciatic nerve. I know the weight makes it worse, but I have days when I am in overwhelming pain. It has decreased since I work out but sometimes if I move a certain way I get struck with pain.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm with coke_bottle. Sciatica with a little congenative lower spine issues and arthritis tossed in the mix. Cold weather flares it up really bad.

I walk as much as possible. I do yoga and streches. I find water arobics the best for me, along with swimming laps.

Last night was BAD. It hurt so bad I was almost to the point of throwing up.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Don't have AS, but have suffered with lumbar issues nearly 6 years after hearniating a disc. Resulted from a car accident, and led to (unsuccessful) surgery. I know a bit about AS from MUCH research into spine issues, so if you ever need a sounding board/ear to chew on, let me kmow....
  • myyovett
    myyovett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too deal with severe back pain. Had a nasty fall and blew out disc in all 3 areas. ..... and the cold weather is hell...I try to stay moving, seems to help.
  • Chapps_LA
    Chapps_LA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with AS for many years, along with all of the usual accompanying challenges - severe joint pain, chronic iritis, et al. The most important things to consider when you have AS are 1) healthy eating, and 2) exercise. I've had to modify my exercise over the years, but I still lift weights and *walk* a lot (yeah, even when my hips are in bad shape, and my feet have blown up like balloons). You can't beat long, purposeful walks for the health benefits. That, in particular, keeps the flares from taking over my life.

I recently also lost 35 lbs, which I had gained while on a couple of different meds. Once I switched to Cimzia, and concurrently ditched all sugar and bread (for a few months), the weight melted off. It makes my workouts and walks much easier.

So the moral of the story is to *keep moving*. Set goals, meet them, then set new ones.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My doctor suspects I have AS. My mom has been diagnosed as well. Right now I'm having a terrible flare up so I've just been doing yoga and pilates to stretch the area. It would be great if there were enough people to get a little group together!
  • jesikabaker4u
    jesikabaker4u Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It would be great if there were enough people to get a little group together!

That would be a very good idea!
    There's just not a lot of us out there lol.
  • Hegemone
    Hegemone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have AS. I just did a search to see if any others here have this. I think maybe anyone with autoimmune disease can understand that sometimes the really challenging part of staying as well as possible is: exercise. When feeling really fatigued and in pain, it can be hard to walk at all, or for longer than 10 minutes. I am making an intention to stretch every day, and to move every day, even if it is a ten minute walk, but really, I have higher goals. I want to start strengthening, to really make a commitment to getting in better shape all around. Nice to see you all here and thanks for posting. :)
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed in July 2013 with AS. I have had it for years, but it wasn't diagnosed properly.

I just saw that there is a group in MFP for AS. Just go to groups and search ankylosing spondylitis and Join. I just did.

Also, feel free to send me a friend request.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with AS 40 years ago. Still working on pain and weight issues.
  • FatherOfAlex
    FatherOfAlex Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just created a group for AS. Surprised one didn't already exist. Feel free to join. I just figured it would be a good way to find and provide support. Search for "Ankylosing Spondylitis/Rheumatoid Arthritis" in groups.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bulging disks in my lower back, along with scoliosis and sciatica, so you can say my back is whacked. Through weight loss is seems to be getting better slowly or maybe not and i'm just not really paying attention to it.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis. An important part of my weight loss journey was learning what I could do when growing up I was only told what I couldn't. I do low impact resistance based cardio (elliptical and walking on incline treadmill), take long walks, and use the exercise machines in the weight room since I can't use free weights. Feel free to add me if you like.