Weight gain?

Hey I'm a 6'1 165 pound teenage boy, who weight lifts for one hour a day and run/have sports after school for at least an hour in edition to the weightlifting and I eat around 2000-2200 calories a day. I am worried because I am gaining weight, I haven't gained any fat in my mid section and don't have very much fat there but I am worried about why I am gaining weight? Should I be eating less? Like maybe 1800 calories? Any response is really appreciated

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Go and get your body fat percentage checked and monitor it. Then you can tell if you're gaining fat, muscle, if it's just about your water retention...THEN you can figure out your diet. :)
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Hey I'm a 6'1 165 pound teenage boy, who weight lifts for one hour a day and run/have sports after school for at least an hour in edition to the weightlifting and I eat around 2000-2200 calories a day. I am worried because I am gaining weight, I haven't gained any fat in my mid section and don't have very much fat there but I am worried about why I am gaining weight? Should I be eating less? Like maybe 1800 calories? Any response is really appreciated

You're 18 which means your body is still growing. Your weight looks okay, maybe even a bit low unless you have small to medium build. You're doing considerably good exercise. To be honest, at 2000-2200 calories a day, it seems like you are on unnecessary deficit as your TDEE should be above that.

Your weight gain is most probably related to water retention if you started lifting recently or changed your exercise routine. Newbies also tend to have tiny to some lean body mass increase when they start but I am not sure if you had the body fat for that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I specialize in adolescent development (including physical). It is typical for boys (and girls) in late adolescence to gain weight. You will see a change in your jaw line (squarer), wider shoulders, and overall broadening of your skeleton at the time you finish your height spurt. If you're working out, you'll also see a building up of muscles along your shoulders and arms. That's why guys go from looking like string beans to mean. If you look at the BMI charts for kids, you'll see this reflected, as younger teens have much loser thressholds for obesity and overweight in terms of BMI than adults do.

Welcome to adulthood!

If you don't see any obvious signs of fat deposits and you do see the other changes, I'm guessing that's what it is. There's more to physical fitness than weight.

What you will eventually start to notice when you stop getting taller is that you need fewer calories to maintain yourself. That's when it gets easy to put on a few pounds. But you'll notice when that happens if you watch for it.