Quit Topamax and the hunger keeps rising

Options
Hello everyone,
I quit topamax, because I thought i could control my weight/eating without. Boy was I wrong. The moderation has gone out the door. There are times where I eat something, and then my stomach just feels like it needs more. I don't have any satisfaction. I'm not going to sit there and say the weight is piling on because I stopped the medicine, I'm going to admit it's probably coming on because I'm eating way more than I should.

Here are my questions to anyone that has quit topamax: Is my body just trying to get back to the weight I was before, 130 lbs?
I'm still exercising and eating mostly good things. I don't know if doing extra exercise will help, because the more I do, the more I get hungry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Topamax is somewhat well-known for having the side effect of weight loss. When people come off of it, they can put the weight back on, but it really depends on the person.

Your body likely isn't trying to get your weight back to where it was before, but it is probably going to take a little time to relearn hunger/satiety cues so for a while you may not feel physically satisfied after eating. Perhaps you need to work on sitting with the hunger, knowing that you're getting enough food and your body's just sending you mixed messages. Work on that mental strength/endurance.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. Before I was keeping myself up on eating. So now i"ll just have to work on that. I appreciate the info!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines. I was taken off of it because I was trying to get pregnant. I gained 10lbs in 2 months. I wasn't lucky enough to have the weight loss side effect when I started taking it, but I sure was unlucky to gain weight when I came off of it! That being said - the drug doesn't "cause" weight gain. The food choices do. But damn, it's hard to say no.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's how I'm feeling. I wouldn't blame the medicine per se, just the mentality, satiety, etc. Thank you for letting me know about your story