1200 calories works for me!

Options
13»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. MyFailurePal...lol. Hey - be nice. I actually quite like it so far (the tracking/diary part anyhow). I'm going to see how things go and adjust accordingly. I am overweight - so I do have some work to do. 20 lbs might not seem like a lot...but it's a lot to me and I feel like at a rate of 0.5lbs per week it will take forever.
    Keep in mind that rapid weight loss puts you at certain risks. One, it causes your TDEE to decline at an accelerated rate compared to a smaller deficit. Secondly, it causes greater decline in serum leptin levels - the key hormone that regulates energy balance through hunger cues. Thirdly, you'll lose excessive lean body mass (muscle, connective tissue and bone mass).

Because of these, you run the risk of replacing most if not all the weight you lost rapidly when upping calories to adjusted maintenance - which, would be considerably lower than baseline even if you return to your previous weight. However, despite returning to your original weight, you will actually have more fat mass because you will recover only a very small portion of the lost lean mass - thus the difference comes entirely from additional fat mass.

That's why those who do semi-starvation diets gain all the weight back and have to eat less to maintain their original weight and less the next time they try to lose weight. Essentially, their body is burning far less calories throughout the day.
  • joannagadzinski1
    Options
    I am on a 1100 cal/day diet as well, I eat more only if I worked out that day and I lose 2lbs per week no problem.
    You are right everybody is different. Even when I eat 1100/day I don't feel hungry, I just eat 5 small meals/day and feel great. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh this.:yawn:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have no problem in general with a 1200 diet IF you eat back exercise calories. However, I do see so many posters saying things like "it worked for me last time and it's working for me again". It worked for ME before too, and my entire purpose this time around is to make sure there is no again again. I don't disagree that one will lose weight on it. But based on what I see here and what I've personally experienced it makes it so much harder to KEEP the weight off.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My only concern is how you are going to maintain as you said you gained weight at 1700. Your metabolism must really be shot. Do you lift weights at all?

I rarely post on the forums, but this seems like an intelligent, informed discussion so I'm going to jump in and ask a question largely based on the comment above. Please note I am NOT trying to hijack this thread and if that's what I'm technically doing, please ignore my post. I lost almost 100 lbs doing 1200 cals per day and eating back exercise calories. My exercise increased as I became more fit. Last summer, I started going through a major depression after being devestated by something that happened in my life. I've pretty much been "playing" at being healthy for a year and that has caused a 40 lb weight gain. I am struggling with consistency with eating below daily goal which is currently set at 1500. I just couldn't go back to 1200 cals...I was hungry and thinking about food all the time. My only exercise is currently walking a couple of hours per week and if I eat 1700 cals a day every day, I gain, gain, gain. Have I damaged my metabolism with my "yo-yo dieting" in the last year? And if so, how can I repair that damage?
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's not a magic number but simply the lowest MFP goes on recommended calorie intake. Most people set their weight loss on 2 lbs a week, which is a drastic loss in many cases.

mv7d5ms

Also, consistency matters before you tout a claim. Pseudoscience on inconsistent data amuses me though.

So, please! Carry on . . .

ksrkyem
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I am honestly not trying to give you a hard time here - just trying to put this into context. You admit that you do not log regularly on your profile, and you have only logged for the last 6 weeks, with quite a few missing days during that period. How do you know that you are eating at that level? Also, you are averaging over 1,400 on the days you log (you do mention you eat your exercise calories back).

I am not a 'you have to eat more or your hair will drop out and you will go into starvation' person, but I am just wondering how you are making the assertion that 1,200 works for you?

Does it really matter? She is obviously happy with what she is doing.
    Yes, it matters, because the obvious message here is "and it can work for you" so it would make a difference to leave out, "even though I'm not actually doing it so I can't even honestly say it works for me."
    HUH?

Shhh be quiet and read before you post love :flowerforyou:
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My only concern is how you are going to maintain as you said you gained weight at 1700. Your metabolism must really be shot. Do you lift weights at all?

I rarely post on the forums, but this seems like an intelligent, informed discussion so I'm going to jump in and ask a question largely based on the comment above. Please note I am NOT trying to hijack this thread and if that's what I'm technically doing, please ignore my post. I lost almost 100 lbs doing 1200 cals per day and eating back exercise calories. My exercise increased as I became more fit. Last summer, I started going through a major depression after being devestated by something that happened in my life. I've pretty much been "playing" at being healthy for a year and that has caused a 40 lb weight gain. I am struggling with consistency with eating below daily goal which is currently set at 1500. I just couldn't go back to 1200 cals...I was hungry and thinking about food all the time. My only exercise is currently walking a couple of hours per week and if I eat 1700 cals a day every day, I gain, gain, gain. Have I damaged my metabolism with my "yo-yo dieting" in the last year? And if so, how can I repair that damage?

Now, that is interesting! I do not think you have damaged your metabolism, but something isn't being logged or measured right. You need to do your measurements, calculate your body fat %, find your current TDEE, and then minus 250 calories or 500 calories (whatever you're comfortable with) off that. Or if you're doing MFP guided, just make sure you are accurate with the numbers you put in and stick with your net calorie goal.

Great site for getting your body fat percentage and other data: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've done the math (TDEE etc) and it says I should be eating 1571 calories per day. I set my goal at 1500 because of the "I gain at 1700 cals" thing in an effort to stem any gain since logging food is not an exact science. When I log, I log everything and when I eat, I measure everything.
  • TJswirl
    Options
    Very interesting. MyFailurePal...lol. Hey - be nice. I actually quite like it so far (the tracking/diary part anyhow). I'm going to see how things go and adjust accordingly. I am overweight - so I do have some work to do. 20 lbs might not seem like a lot...but it's a lot to me and I feel like at a rate of 0.5lbs per week it will take forever.
    Keep in mind that rapid weight loss puts you at certain risks. One, it causes your TDEE to decline at an accelerated rate compared to a smaller deficit. Secondly, it causes greater decline in serum leptin levels - the key hormone that regulates energy balance through hunger cues. Thirdly, you'll lose excessive lean body mass (muscle, connective tissue and bone mass).

Because of these, you run the risk of replacing most if not all the weight you lost rapidly when upping calories to adjusted maintenance - which, would be considerably lower than baseline even if you return to your previous weight. However, despite returning to your original weight, you will actually have more fat mass because you will recover only a very small portion of the lost lean mass - thus the difference comes entirely from additional fat mass.

That's why those who do semi-starvation diets gain all the weight back and have to eat less to maintain their original weight and less the next time they try to lose weight. Essentially, their body is burning far less calories throughout the day.

Yeah - in theory it makes total sense ...and they say patience is a virtue and I do want to do it the healthy way. With that being said (and to play devils advocate), I've been told that losing up to 2lbs per week is a normal/healthy rate of weightloss when it's done through eating right and exercising (no starvation). Thoughts? Also - what is TDEE? (Sorry - I'm new here, I'm still trying to work out all of the acronyms).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've done the math (TDEE etc) and it says I should be eating 1571 calories per day. I set my goal at 1500 because of the "I gain at 1700 cals" thing in an effort to stem any gain since logging food is not an exact science. When I log, I log everything and when I eat, I measure everything.

Gaining at 1700 might make sense anyway, depending on your height, weight and activity level. What is your estimated BMR and TDEE not adjusted for weight loss?

But your question is wonderful, I think. After someone has changed their TDEE from restricting calories too much, how do they bump it back up again later?

Restricting calories too much for a long time seems like that's the best way to teach the body to get by on less (very useful for famines, etc!), but how does one teach it to stop doing that? A day a week of eating a lot and keep a nice maintenance formula the rest of the week? I'm just guessing. Answers, please, lol :)
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Yeah - in theory it makes total sense ...and they say patience is a virtue and I do want to do it the healthy way. With that being said (and to play devils advocate), I've been told that losing up to 2lbs per week is a normal/healthy rate of weightloss when it's done through eating right and exercising (no starvation). Thoughts? Also - what is TDEE? (Sorry - I'm new here, I'm still trying to work out all of the acronyms).
    The mantra that 2 lbs per week is "normal/healthy" pertains to the maximum amount of weight a very obese person is recommended to lose without strict, medical supervision. It does not pertain to individuals with much less to lose in comparison. Such persons should adhere to a 0.5, 1.0, or 1.5 lbs weight loss goal depending on degree of adiposity. This is why those options are given on MFP - unfortunately, as I mentioned, it is not explained to new members...

As I mentioned before, we all have a limit, or max deficit, to how many calories per day goes to burning fat. It is based on this research:

A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

Cliff notes:
    This limit is based on total fat mass, which is multiplied by 31 to be established. For instance, I have 20 lbs of total fat mass. Thus, 20 x 31=620 calorie maximum deficit. Since I maintain at 2900 calories, the least I can eat where fat mass is burned is roughly 2300 calories. If my deficit is larger than this number, no additional fat mass is burned - the energy from the excessive deficit thus comes solely from lean mass.

However, I do not create such a large 600 calorie deficit since the closer I get to that limit, the more lean mass is lost. My goal is to preserve as much lean mass as possible while maximizing fat loss. Thus, from prior experiments, my max deficit is 300 calories. It also isn't just about preserving lean mass, your TDEE and hormones are also affected by chronic calorie restriction.

TDEE:
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the total amount of calories your body burns throughout the entire day which allows one to relatively maintain their body weight. In other words, it's the maximum amount of calories you can eat to maintain weight relative to activity.

When chronically restricting calories, your metabolism adapts to less energy being available by burning less calories in an effort to conserve energy. The smaller the deficit maintained,with minimal loss of lean mass, the smaller the decline in energy expenditure potential (eg: TDEE drops from 2900 to 2800). Conversely, the larger the deficit maintained, with excessive loss of lean mass, the result is a much greater decline in energy expenditure potential (eg: TDEE drops from 2900 to 1900). Thus a person with a greater decline in TDEE will need to eat considerably less to maintain weight and will burn far less calories through exercise, for instance.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

As I mentioned before, we all have a limit, or max deficit, to how many calories per day goes to burning fat. It is based on this research:

A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

Cliff notes:
    This limit is based on total fat mass, which is multiplied by 31 to be established. For instance, I have 20 lbs of total fat mass. Thus, 20 x 31=620 calorie maximum deficit. Since I maintain at 2900 calories, the least I can eat where fat mass is burned is roughly 2300 calories. If my deficit is larger than this number, no additional fat mass is burned - the energy from the excessive deficit thus comes solely from lean mass.

However, I do not create such a large 600 calorie deficit since the closer I get to that limit, the more lean mass is lost. My goal is to preserve as much lean mass as possible while maximizing fat loss. Thus, from prior experiments, my max deficit is 300 calories. It also isn't just about preserving lean mass, your TDEE and hormones are also affected by chronic calorie restriction.

I have heard about the max fat burning number, but wondered how you figured it out. So using this method of 31 X fat lbs- I am 5'6" and 180. The average LBM for my height is around 110. So I have 70 pounds of fat mass?

That multiplied by 31 is over 2100 calorie deficit I could safely have? My TDEE is only around 1600. (I am 50 and partially disabled, so not a lot of activity)

So I am guessing that 1200 would be perfectly fine for me?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Let me guess OP, the 'everything back' that you gained was like what, 5 lbs? Because that's totally normal, from water going back in your muscles after you started eating more. I can pretty much guarantee you that it wasn't 5 lbs of fat.

There's really no reason for you to starve yourself, but if you want to maintain at 1600 calories later, be my guest I guess.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I have heard about the max fat burning number, but wondered how you figured it out. So using this method of 31 X fat lbs- I am 5'6" and 180. The average LBM for my height is around 110. So I have 70 pounds of fat mass?

That multiplied by 31 is over 2100 calorie deficit I could safely have? My TDEE is only around 1600. (I am 50 and partially disabled, so not a lot of activity)

So I am guessing that 1200 would be perfectly fine for me?
    Yes. If you weighed 180 lbs and have approximately 110 lbs of lean mass, then the remaining 70 lbs would be fat mass.

I figured out mine by actually engaging in a self-imposed semi-starvation diet years ago and getting body composition assessed three times during the 10-week experiment. When considering the total weight I lost, as well as lean mass vs fat mass, my max deficit was actually slightly below the estimate but still very close.

Regarding the formula, that demonstrates exactly why pursuing the maximum deficit simply isn't realistic nor safe in most people - assuming that their actual max deficit is close to the estimate. A very lean person such as myself may only risk loss of excessive lean mass; but for someone with above-average fat mass, it's downright dangerous to maintain chronically.

For your stats and health status, 1200 net would be perfectly fine if your actual TDEE is around 1600.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Now, that is interesting! I do not think you have damaged your metabolism, but something isn't being logged or measured right. You need to do your measurements, calculate your body fat %, find your current TDEE, and then minus 250 calories or 500 calories (whatever you're comfortable with) off that. Or if you're doing MFP guided, just make sure you are accurate with the numbers you put in and stick with your net calorie goal.

Great site for getting your body fat percentage and other data: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

In reply to this, I am wondering if I just had my calories on the lower side even when i wasnt logging and therefor 1700 wasnt really a deficit. I just dont understand how I would have gained 25lbs since high school though if I was eating low calorie.
  • Hbazzell
    Options

I feel like we are in the same boat. My TDEE -20 was like 1700...I gained on that. Maintained on 1500. Lost at 1200. I measure everything.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    And to answer some other questions people had for me:

Gaining "Everything back" on 1700 really means every pound I lost I gained back. Even added 3 lbs extra to be 178 at one points (I think it was water weight). 5 lbs came off sometime when I wasn't logging but it changes with water weight. I stick close to 170. Today I was 166.6 after a week at 1200. Some of this being water weight as well. My body can hold 5-8lbs of water weight a day as I learned from my surgery two weeks ago when I gained 8 lbs in three hours after being under anesthesia.

My workout routine:

I work 3 on 3 off, 13 hour shifts. Graveyard. I usually take an hour "break" to go to the gym on those three work nights. My gym work out consists of squats (65-85lbs) Deadlifts (85-100lbs), Leg extender (100-120lbs), situps, reverse sit ups (the back ones), sometimes chest press which I hate, lat pull down, and sometimes random ab workouts. Mainly squats and deads. Then I jump rope between each set to keep my heart rate up. Sometimes I include additional cardio at the gym. Then on one or two of my days off work I go on a 3-8 mile run depending on my motivation.

@Sara- I have recently adjusted my macros and that is helping. Trying to be less afraid of good fats. Eating full fat fage yogurt, avocado, cottage cheese, etc. instead of low fat or non fat. Also adding protein shakes after workouts and eating way less pasta and bread.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump