Nutella

Options

Replies

• recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    While Nutella is not the greatest food to eat, I find it a reasonable alternative to have than chocolate candy bars, cakes, cookies, and ice cream. Basically, it is not a trigger food for me.

Chocolate candy bars, cakes, cookies, and ice cream are my trigger foods that I no longer have. I have taken a 12-step approach with these foods -- that is I can never, ever have those food ever again...

In addition, the most Nutella I have in any one meal is 2 servings on mufti-grain bread rounds... And last but not least, Nutella is low in sodium -- only 15 mg per serving....

I eat far more stuffed salmon, fruit, and salads than I do Nutella...

It says that 18 grams is a serving I THINK.... I have 22 grams on my oatmeal or Weetabix. Or if I have a small apple with cinnamon. Lots of sugar, but really good. lol Nice treat. I'd love to add more and wish i never started this fitness and health phase for pure looks.... :frown: I wish i could be normal...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. I stir a spoonful into about a half a cup of plain Greek yogurt and it's amazing! :love:

Also good swirled with peanut butter and then dip sliced apples in the mixture. Those are my favorite ways to eat it. But I did see a recipe the other day for making hot cocoa with it - stir into and heat with milk or whatever milk sub you might like. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinkin' about it!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    gjaWGvJ.gif
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    OP, you may get better responses by posting this in one of the eating disorder recovery groups.

To answer your question, no, Nutella does not have any special properties that will make you gain weight. Weight gain results from a caloric surplus, not from a certain amount of fats or sugars. Sure, it's not the most nutritious of foods, but Nutella can still be incorporated as part of a healthy diet. If you like it, then feel free to enjoy it.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
  • SweetSarah21
    Options
    I was anorexic for 6 years. I can finally say I have it a little more under control. I also love nutella, and i know it can be a trigger food, but eating a tablespoon with a banana or an apple is a satisfying and healthier way of eating it then feeling guilty for eating it!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Who here eat Nutella? I recently started eating it again in small amounts after years of not having it because it's been a big fear food of mine, but I decided to face my fear...or at least one of them. :love: :tongue:

If I have it now, even in small amounts, is this when I should start tracking sugar? :frown: I've been afraid to have it everyday or more than twice a week, even if it's not a lot at once....Example, I put it on Weetabix cereal and oatmeal.

I like occasionally, although it's definitely more a favorite of my daughter's. I just don't enjoy sweets a lot. You can track the sugars if you want to, but honestly, I would say it depends on how it affects you mentally to do that. You are eating at a caloric deficit, so the sugar won't make you gain weight. If tracking sugars to help you learn how they fit your goals is something that will alleviate stress, then great. If doing so will lead you to obsess or stress over it, then I would suggest not doing it. As long as you aren't eating the entirety of your maintenance calories and then some, the sugar does not matter in terms of loss/gain.

I hope you enjoy it! Congratulations on seeking recovery, on your progress so far, and on facing something you're afraid of.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Who here eat Nutella? I recently started eating it again in small amounts after years of not having it because it's been a big fear food of mine, but I decided to face my fear...or at least one of them. :love: :tongue:

If I have it now, even in small amounts, is this when I should start tracking sugar? :frown: I've been afraid to have it everyday or more than twice a week, even if it's not a lot at once....Example, I put it on Weetabix cereal and oatmeal.

I like occasionally, although it's definitely more a favorite of my daughter's. I just don't enjoy sweets a lot. You can track the sugars if you want to, but honestly, I would say it depends on how it affects you mentally to do that. You are eating at a caloric deficit, so the sugar won't make you gain weight. If tracking sugars to help you learn how they fit your goals is something that will alleviate stress, then great. If doing so will lead you to obsess or stress over it, then I would suggest not doing it. As long as you aren't eating the entirety of your maintenance calories and then some, the sugar does not matter in terms of loss/gain.

I hope you enjoy it! Congratulations on seeking recovery, on your progress so far, and on facing something you're afraid of.

Thank you!
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    I was anorexic for 6 years. I can finally say I have it a little more under control. I also love nutella, and i know it can be a trigger food, but eating a tablespoon with a banana or an apple is a satisfying and healthier way of eating it then feeling guilty for eating it!

Thank you :smile:
    I had some for breakfast this morning again and enjoyed it. It is amazing with bananas and apples!
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    OP, you may get better responses by posting this in one of the eating disorder recovery groups.

To answer your question, no, Nutella does not have any special properties that will make you gain weight. Weight gain results from a caloric surplus, not from a certain amount of fats or sugars. Sure, it's not the most nutritious of foods, but Nutella can still be incorporated as part of a healthy diet. If you like it, then feel free to enjoy it.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Yeah, sorry about that...

And thank you. Tracking sugar does trigger me and it stresses me out which I know is counter productive...so I've stopped.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    I love the stuff. I stir a spoonful into about a half a cup of plain Greek yogurt and it's amazing! :love:

Also good swirled with peanut butter and then dip sliced apples in the mixture. Those are my favorite ways to eat it. But I did see a recipe the other day for making hot cocoa with it - stir into and heat with milk or whatever milk sub you might like. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinkin' about it!

I love PB ans Nutella! I haven't had that combo in years, either. I have natural PB, I should make a PB and Nutella sandwich or oatmeal soon! Thank you for reminding me about it :smile:

And I'm definitely going to try the Greek yogurt and Nutella mixture!
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    gjaWGvJ.gif

lol This made me giggle

but seriously, though... it's amazing
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where the doc has asked you to limit your sugar intake, no need to count sugar. Nutella is awesome, I often have it. But don't think of it as a nutritious snack (like their ads suggest). I just think of it as candy wrapped in bread when I make it. mmmm. Yummy!!!

btw, theres a whole lotta websites and pinterests dedicated to nutella recipes and most are very delicious.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking steps to recovery. I know most people battle with wanting to lose weight on MFP but it's great you're taking control to get healthy.
    I LOVE Nutella, and even whilst trying to lose I make allowances for it. However, There is something called Whole Earth Organic lightly whipped Hazelnut chocolate spread (UK, anyway) which although it's still got the sugar and natural fat from the nuts it's better for your body as it's more natural than Nutella. May be a way for you to feel a little less guilty about chocolate spread while you're still recovering.
    Really well done for re-introducing a treat! x
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I LOVE Nutella - and there's always a jar open in my house cos' my kids love it too!
    But since I've been on MFP I haven't had any at all - I do think that for me, it's difficult to eat only a small amount so better to ban it during my weight loss.
    When I'll be maintaining (hopefully by XMas) I'll probably reintroduce it but try to eat it only once a week or so - I used to have some almost every day for breakfast! Now I'm having porridge - and it sure feels healthier :-)
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wish i could be normal...

There's no such thing as 'normal' - we all have our quirks. I'm terrified of flying to the point that I've run screaming off the last handful of flights missing both holidays and business meetings. I'm terrified of spiders to the point that I'll literally rip a room apart to find and deal with one. I count the number of doorways from my hotel room to the nearest fire exit when I stay in hotels just on the off-chance there's a fire in the night and I can't see through the smoke. In fact I spend an unhealthy amount of time conceiving of ways to deal with any number of emergency situations. Anything with the texture of jelly makes my skin crawl and the thought of eating it makes me feel nauseous. Small babies also make my skin crawl because I can't help but obsess about the fontanelle pulsing up and down with their heartbeat like some awful alien parasite waiting to burst out through their heads. Oh...and I talk to trees; especially the very old ones. I had a lovely conversation with a 5,000 year old Yew tree in Wales that I'd gone to see specially.

So you see....nobody is 'normal'. Don't let the media fool you into ever believing that.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    first of all BIG well done for facing a fear and trying nutella :smile:. im trying to recovery also, and i think at the moment try not to get caught up in worring about sugars just enjoy your nutella and new foods to come :smile: then once at a healthy weight i think then we can start to swap and change things around. thats what im going to try to do. xxxxx
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nutella is my friend. :glasses:
  • pandamonium1987
    pandamonium1987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wish i could be normal...

There's no such thing as 'normal' - we all have our quirks. I'm terrified of flying to the point that I've run screaming off the last handful of flights missing both holidays and business meetings. I'm terrified of spiders to the point that I'll literally rip a room apart to find and deal with one. I count the number of doorways from my hotel room to the nearest fire exit when I stay in hotels just on the off-chance there's a fire in the night and I can't see through the smoke. In fact I spend an unhealthy amount of time conceiving of ways to deal with any number of emergency situations. Anything with the texture of jelly makes my skin crawl and the thought of eating it makes me feel nauseous. Small babies also make my skin crawl because I can't help but obsess about the fontanelle pulsing up and down with their heartbeat like some awful alien parasite waiting to burst out through their heads. Oh...and I talk to trees; especially the very old ones. I had a lovely conversation with a 5,000 year old Yew tree in Wales that I'd gone to see specially.

So you see....nobody is 'normal'. Don't let the media fool you into ever believing that.

^^^^
    Absolutely bonkers. Love it. :flowerforyou:
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition where the doc has asked you to limit your sugar intake, no need to count sugar. Nutella is awesome, I often have it. But don't think of it as a nutritious snack (like their ads suggest). I just think of it as candy wrapped in bread when I make it. mmmm. Yummy!!!

btw, theres a whole lotta websites and pinterests dedicated to nutella recipes and most are very delicious.

I had it again this morning which I loved. I really want to make a Nutella sandwich with either natural peanut butter or fruit like strawberries or half a banana on whole wheat or dark rye bread.

It's not as healthy as the commercial says, but it is a better alternative to things like an actual chocolate bar all the time like Mars bars (which my parents have every night now.....)
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Well done for taking steps to recovery. I know most people battle with wanting to lose weight on MFP but it's great you're taking control to get healthy.
    I LOVE Nutella, and even whilst trying to lose I make allowances for it. However, There is something called Whole Earth Organic lightly whipped Hazelnut chocolate spread (UK, anyway) which although it's still got the sugar and natural fat from the nuts it's better for your body as it's more natural than Nutella. May be a way for you to feel a little less guilty about chocolate spread while you're still recovering.
    Really well done for re-introducing a treat! x

Thank you :smile:
    Yeah, my parents don't like buying too many of those natural products unless it's cheap for what it is....but if it's too much, they don't think it's worth it while I personally do. I wanted to try Rawtella, but they won't buy it for me because it is really expensive for such a tiny jar...that one I do agree with, i just really want to try it...

I don't think Canada has that...and my parents don't shop online....I have to wait till i have my own money and card to do that for myself. I've never had my own money before.... :frown: