Calories vs Sodium vs Sugar

Options
So after a couple weeks, I'm now seeing a pattern with my food. I usually come in under my calorie limit (yay!), but either my sodium, my sugar, or both are over their limits (boo). It's not that I put salt on everything - hubby broke me of that habit years ago. It's more a matter of the fact that my lunches at work tend to be Campbell's soup or Rice-a-Roni or whatever.

So while I know that I really SHOULD strive for getting all three under their limits, is one more important than the others?

Replies

• Cattfish42
    Cattfish42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time getting the main calories to match every day! I figure if I ever get a handle on that I can switch to micromanaging
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar or sodium and it has not affected my weight loss. It is more important to keep an eye on your protein, fat and fiber targets. Give this a read if you haven't yet. It's full of great information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    unless you are (pre)diabetic, sugar really isnt an issue, especially if most of it comes from fruits. Salt on the other hand can create issues from water retention to high blood pressure, I pay way more attention to that.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I had to break my "addiction" to salt because I did go through a crazy amount of it. My mother could put salt on salt when making dinner, and I would eat salt like candy.

There are a number of health issues associated with to much salt, blood pressure, kidney disorders, water retention and osteoporosis.

If your really worried about salt then there are low salt alternatives to canned soups (although not living in the same country I can't really point you anywhere other then google).
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am SLOWLY making the effort to get away from the prepackaged stuff - it's just really damn convenient to keep in my filing cabinet next to my desk at work, rather than constantly going next door to Kidd Valley for lunch. (There are other places within nearby driving distance, but that means losing my parking space.)

I also suspect that my food habits are worse on the weekends because of indulging more.

But I shall not lose heart.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So after a couple weeks, I'm now seeing a pattern with my food. I usually come in under my calorie limit (yay!), but either my sodium, my sugar, or both are over their limits (boo). It's not that I put salt on everything - hubby broke me of that habit years ago. It's more a matter of the fact that my lunches at work tend to be Campbell's soup or Rice-a-Roni or whatever.

So while I know that I really SHOULD strive for getting all three under their limits, is one more important than the others?

Unless you have medical reasons for restricting sugar or salt, you don't have to worry about it. Just make sure you're hitting your macros and are reasonably around your calories goals and your weight loss will be healthy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar or sodium and it has not affected my weight loss. It is more important to keep an eye on your protein, fat and fiber targets. Give this a read if you haven't yet. It's full of great information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This.. I never tracked a single gram of sugar or sodium, pay attention to carbs, proteins, and fats and fiber beyond that just watch my caloric intake.... Best of Luck....
  • cyndibinns
    cyndibinns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle with HP so I avoid prepackage and processed foods. They are some "better" choices on the shelves, you just have to read the nutrition labels. I have found lower sodium choices at the supermarket in the natural foods isle if available.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Much obliged for the suggestions. I think I'll keep tracking the sodium thing just to make sure my blood pressure doesn't decide to climb Everest on its own, and will trust my instincts when it comes to sugar.