Fell Off The Wagon - Need a Few Inspiring Words...

Options
I have been powering through the extra kilos for nearly a month - 7kg down. When I should have been celebrating and continuing the change I got hit by the 'can't be bothered' stick and spent four days chowing down on junk; Indian, Pizza, Cake, Snacks, Booze - I hit it all.

So it's Monday, my weigh-in is on Wednesday afternoon. I am bloated, greasy and seemingly up 4kg. I am trying to calmly tell myself that it is retained water from the salt and constipation from the sudden influx of greasy beasties, but I am very nervous that I have stuffed this week up completely.

Can anyone please offer some common sense to allay my panic and get me back on track? I can give myself very good advise I very seldom follow it...

Thank you in advance for your kind words/tough love/judgement/experience/trolling/flames/internet silence,

Monkey La Femme

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like daily weigh ins and charting on a tool like trendweight.com. Try it out. It will show you the impact of your binge the day after you do it, so you're unlikely to have a multi-day binge.

4w.png

The longest it has taken me to recover from a one day binge is two weeks. Best bet is to forgive yourself, wipe your slate clean, and get back to eating well with a vengeance. Lots of water might help bring your weight to a reasonable level quicker if you're retaining water from salty food.

Osric
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Water water water. You didn't gain 4kg from 4 days of overeating. Time will pass anyway so you might as well move TOWARD your goal. Don't let it get further out of control!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've had a bonkers binge week too - a whole whopping 10 days in fact. Have eaten anything and everything including alcohol, take aways, chocolate, jelly beans, bread, cheese, and lots of cake!

So got my head straight tonight. What's done is done. Have reflected on what triggered it. For me lack of sleep and stress, and peer pressure - went on girly weekend.

Tomorrow is a new day. If you feel completely mortified about the weigh in this week and want time to "repair damage" then skip it! Weigh in next week after more than a week of getting back into your vibe.

Maybe put some post it notes around work and home whilst your head is in a focused place with some motivational words that are very personal to you. Remind yourself WHY you are losing weight so you CAN be bothered!

You can do it hon :-) this just a wobble....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Get. Back. On. The. Wagon. (that's all I got.)
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Intellectual feedback coming your way!

In order to actually gain 4kg you'd have to have eaten 12,600 calories OVER your MAINTENANCE calories. (I might have done those maths wrong, I'm converting from pounds.) But either way, unless you did major, major caloric damage above your maintenance level, you're not looking at actual fat gain. Water weight, yes. But nothing that won't be able to be reverse with some extra effort this week before your weigh-in.

Wagon. On. Go.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You got this far now - Get back on track!
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you'd like to alleivate the panic, get back on your plan, right NOW! There is something WONDERFUL about knowing that you're doing the right thing!!! You can have the feeling of victory back RIGHT NOW. Because, right now counts! Instead of having something that you shouldn't have, make a GOOD choice. If you want to feel even BETTER, do something that will contribute to your plan. Go shopping and pick up a few healthy foods to have on hand, or pack a good lunch that fits right in your plan, or even just get out a piece of paper, and write a list of good foods that you'll plan on getting for yourself. Anything that you can do, weather it's making a good food-choice right now, or doing something that contributes to your plan, will make you feel back in control, and happy again.

I wish you the best!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! :D
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey! We all have those moments, even if we don't act on them! You aren't living to diet, you are dieting to live! If you love those foods, then have em sometimes! If you deprive yourself that's when you will go hogwild! Too bad you had a 4 day binge and not a 1 day binge...but hey you lost 7 kg once, you can lose 4 kg again! Pick yourself up with those greasy lil paws, get back on the MFP, and don't sweat it! Just don't binge again...I ask you this: was it worth it to gain 4 kg back for what you ate? If yes well then stop feeling guilty! If no, then learn from this that well honestly bingeing SUCKS!!!!!!!! LOL
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that yesterday ended at midnight and tomorrow is not guaranteed. Concentrate on the moment and take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. You know what you must do to meet your goals and you're strong enough to do it. Just remember that you're worth it.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the thread, and I don't understand the word binge.
  • monkey_la_femme
    monkey_la_femme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Thank you everyone for your very quick advice and I will definitely be trying the trend graph generator!

Unfortunately I am on Weight Watchers so skipping the weigh in isn't really an option; I think perhaps seeing a gain on my membership card will be enough to get it through my (apparently) thick head that pigging out does have consequences - I wasn't really worrying about that while I was enjoying my take-away dinners.

I am also off right now to refill my water glass and then plan for a healthy dinner.

*Hugs everyone gathered around and then clambers clumsily back on to her wagon*
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Thank you everyone for your very quick advice and I will definitely be trying the trend graph generator!

Unfortunately I am on Weight Watchers so skipping the weigh in isn't really an option; I think perhaps seeing a gain on my membership card will be enough to get it through my (apparently) thick head that pigging out does have consequences - I wasn't really worrying about that while I was enjoying my take-away dinners.

I am also off right now to refill my water glass and then plan for a healthy dinner.

*Hugs everyone gathered around and then clambers clumsily back on to her wagon*
    You used to be able to take a pass week once in a while at WW but maybe that has changed? Regardless you have received the wake-up call and even if scale disappoints this week it is a long game not a brief dash.
  • awedel21
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. Used it as motivation since then and by Friday I was so pleased with the results I saw. Use it as motivation!
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't let this derail you. We all stumble. It's just human nature. You're gonna fall on your face sometimes. No avoiding it. But you don't have to stay there on the ground. Take a deep breath, pick yourself up, and find your way again. This is your life. Take control of it.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon and struggled to get back on for close to 3 months! You just gotta pick yourself back up and recomitt. Yes I had this rough period/ patch but I am now back at it.

Fill your fridge full of healthy lean foods (the ones you love to eat!) and take your self for a nice long walk :)