"Beach Muscles"

Options
Was watching an old season of "The Ultimate Fighter", and one of the judges made this statement about one of the fighters/contestants:

"That was a classic case of the dude with the beach muscles getting tired."

I'm curious what (if anything) that statement means to others.

Replies

• LayLen
    LayLen Posts: 20
    Options
    I think it implies that there are some guys who only focus on biceps, pecs, abs, but they don't focus on stamina. I see it all the time in the gym, guys who are bench press junkies, yet you put them on a track and field and all of a sudden there great giant muscles become their greatest obstacle.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Wild guess: one dude was more "defined" than the other? That's really the only thing I can think of - I've never heard the term before this.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah, he looked well defined from the front, on his upper body. Legs and back, not so much.

And he got gassed pretty quick for someone who, at first glance, looks like they're super fit.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would agree it is probably the difference between someone who works out for fitness and gets muscles as a result, compared to someone who works out for the way muscles look. The first person would definitely be fitter, stronger and have better stamina than the 'beach muscles' guy :)
  • LayLen
    Options
    Legs and back are the biggest muscles in the body. Interesting revelation. The back is the largest muscle in the body. Pulled a muscle in my back a few years ago, had to learn that one the hard way.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's basically all the muscles at the front: pecs, shoulders, biceps, quads, etc.

So an over developed (or over focused on) anterior chain and an often neglected posterior chain (stuff like rhomboids, traps, lats, glutes, hamstrings, etc.)

All the things on the posterior chain make you explosive and powerful as an athlete. And these guys (fighters) are meant to be explosive and powerful.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Come to gym with me

If you don't vomit from exhaustion then you fit

Assumptions are bad people , cant assume muscle men arnt fit .
  • LayLen
    Options
    I'll come to the gym with you, after that, you come to the track and field with me. Anyways.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think I've heard that once or twice- mostly I hear "mirror" muscles... typically only the muscles you can physically see.

I feel like a LOT of people hate on people who look good- because they don't have the dedication themselves to put the time and effort into it. that being said- there is also a group of people who do completely 'superficial' exercises- such as 'curl bros' who never get into anything that works their whole body- this is also the group of people who cry about leg day and how they can't walk the next day- but they are clearly someone who works out.

Shrug- it takes all types.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Think about the scene in fight club where Edward Norton is on the bus and they are looking at a men's underwear AD and he asks "Is that what a real man looks like?"

Personally nothing wrong with "beach muscles" to me....I want it all.