Losing weight by eating

Options
Hey everyone
I was wondering if increasing my calorie in take would be more beneficial
I want to lose at least 6-10kg within the next month and a bit.
I'm currently around 83kg I'm 178cm tall
I'm on 1200 cal and can't seem to get out to exercise so any tips there will be great.
Bottom line calories increase or decrease?

** sorry topic mistake "losing weight by eating MORE

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing on what you believe is 1200 calories, you'll lose even less on what you believe is more calories.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Try it for a month and see what happens. I'm losing weight because I upped my calories so I know its possible.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey. I think it depends on your preferences and what your body responds to. I tried eating 1200/day but I was always tired and felt like I was starving at night - but I'm quite active. I've upped my intake to around 1400 and I'm finding it very manageable, and so far I have lost a little weight :)

EDIT: It also depends on how tall you are/how much you weigh/ what your activity levels are like. You should use a calculator to work out how many calories you need in a day, and how many you can eat to still lose weight.

EDIT 2: Obviously if you eat more calories, you will lose weight more slowly than if you were eating less, but that's not always a bad thing - slow and steady wins the race :)
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Although I am a big believer in eating more than 1200, maybe give this a read and make sure you've been weighing and measuring accurately before you increase your intake.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I reread your post and just realized you're as tall, as me. :flowerforyou: Anyhow, if you've been weighing and measuring accurately and believe you've only been eating 1200, I think it's perfectly reasonable to try eating a little more and even take a little longer to get to goal if need be. Your goal of 6-10kg in a month or so is far too aggressive, IMO. Maybe try for a more reasonable deficit of 500 calories a day for a lb a week loss?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    try a calculator for yourself. You would be surprised at how much your suppose to be eating. like with me If I just wanted to eat and loose 1lb a day I should be eating close to 2,200 a day...that is HUGE.. I only eat 1530 a day as I am going for 2lbs a week loss :)

here try this calculator. It shows you your BMI and what you should be at for a healthy one as well as your RMR and what you should eat to loose 1lb and such

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your foods? Going by eye or by cup measures can mean you're eating more than you think you are. If not then why not try getting up half an hour earlier for a brisk walk or edge your calories up by 50 a day for a week and then again the following week until you start losing again? Could just be hormonal changes slowing you down and it'll drop suddenly like it does sometimes for me.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Measurement is key!! I was eyeballing my condiments and shockingly I was eating less than I thought and logging more. This caused me to plateau for a few weeks till I started measuring them. Can be the smallest things that create a HUGE effect.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    In all likelihood your eating more than you think. Check your logging weigh and measure everything for a while before you play around with what you think are the amounts you are on
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Try it for a month and see what happens. I'm losing weight because I upped my calories so I know its possible.
    Please do not spread this sort of thing around. It's simply not how weight loss works. You may have upped your calories *and* are losing weight, but you are not losing weight *because* you upped your calories. Some other change has caused the weight loss.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    How did you get the 1200 calories a day? To me it does seem a little low, but I don't know your situation.

I'm 5'1" and 145lbs and I eat around 1500 calories a day. Now this is me, but when I tried to eat 1200 calories a day before I came here I was always hungry, and always snacking on pretty much anything I could get my hands on except the days when I didn't eat anything, but I was still saying I was eating 1200 calories.

I'm not saying this is your situation, but you should try to find your bmr, how many calories your body needs to maintain basic functions.
  • Sarag0887
    Options
    Hi everyone my bmr is around 1600 cal
    What do ii do now
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Try to eat above 1600. But you can lower that as you lose weight, because that number also goes down. And I don't think there's supposed to be a problem netting under it (so exercising without adding more calories) unless you get symptoms or are exercising a lot. On huge workout days, eat some more :)
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    Yes you can. It's called building up metabolism. Gradually increase calories by 100 daily calories every week or so. Keep your activity level the same. Over a 10 week period that's 1000 calories added to whatever you're getting. After this, you can lower the calories slowly and start losing fat while your metabolism keeps running. Eventually you'll stall and this is when the implementation of refeeds comes in handy.