Very Painful Tendon in my foot/heel

Options
Was in agony all week and put it down to plantar fasciitis which I have been suffering from! Struggled in work all week and gave in eventually on Sunday and went to get it checked out and I it is the tendon.

Have to rest it as much as possible. Got told to stay off work but lucky that I am on holiday this week.

How do I get back into exercising after this has stopped being sore?
And is there any exercises I can do to help the pain go away?

Thanks
Sharon

Replies

• SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am just recovering from Achilles Tendonitis which can turn into plantar fasciitis without proper care, very painful and the worst thing you can do is go back to normal excercise before it's properly healed. It's difficult, but REST is key.

This is what I was told by my doctor and also backed up by a physio:

Do some gentle walking - nothing too strenuous and if it hurts too much - stop.

Take ibuprofen 3 times a day for at least 4 days to let the anti-inflammitories build up and have a chance to work - this will also help with the pain.

Some gentle stretching of the achillies tendon - stand with both feet on a step, shuffle back to balance on the balls of your feet and slowly lower the heel of affected foot, supporting yourself with your opposite arm, feeling the stretch. Repeat 20 times at least once a day.
    OR - both hands against a wall, affected leg straightened behind you, good leg bent in front of you and lean forward until you feel the stretch.

Once walking is pain free, you can move to non-impact exercise, such as elliptical trainers or cycling - but again, if it hurts, stop.

Don't go back to running or impact exercise until completely healed or it's likely to return. Can take a few weeks, can take a couple of months, everyone's different.

Good luck!
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a similar foot injury earlier this summer. My doctor recommended and ice bath every 3-4 hours. I used a bucket to soak my foot for 12 minutes. It was torture. But I started to feel a difference almost immediately! I threw away all my shoes and bought several pairs of some really great arch supporting shoes. I hate elliptical trainers, so I swim. My foot is better now; I've started classes and a little bit of walking and running.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Was in agony all week and put it down to plantar fasciitis which I have been suffering from! Struggled in work all week and gave in eventually on Sunday and went to get it checked out and I it is the tendon.

Which tendon? You have lots in your foot?

Does it hurt above your heel, or under it?

What do you think caused it?
  • pattibarszcz
    Options
    I feel for you - I also have plantar fasciitis and it is SO painful :( I went through PT and it finally seems to be getting a little better, but I have been riding a stationary bike which doesn't bother it as much as walking/running.
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Which tendon? You have lots in your foot? - The hospital didn't tell me which tendon.

Does it hurt above your heel, or under it? It is sore just under my ankle bone and this pain continues through the side of my foot on the left hand side.

What do you think caused it? I have no idea what caused it but think it could either be the heeled shoes I wore on Sunday or I injured it in the gym on Monday night.

Thanks for replying
  • Cove67
    Cove67 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have similar problems, my physio says problem is usually bio-mechanical, so shoes without proper support. Go see a good physio and get some advice on rehab and footwear. Goodluck
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Ugh! I'm also suffering with this at the moment. It is so bad that even the eliptical trainer and spinning hurts. I've had to resort to swimming and weight training.

I was told to avoid flat shoes and to avoid walking barefoot. Also rolling a tennis ball underneath the affected foot relieves the pain a bit.

I love to run... absolutely love it..... and cannot for a good while yet to come. :sad:
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are experiencing this. I have experiences this twice after injuring my foot running. Most recently, I twisted my ankle when running(I stepped off of the road). What I didn't know is that I stretched the tendon in my foot. What helped me was icing it at night, taking Aleve, always wearing sneakers, etc... For me, I recovered much quicker than I thought possible. However, from what I read, recovery is usually not that quick:(
  • svbeyer
    svbeyer Posts: 11
    Options
    Here is a plantar fasciitis trick I learned from my orthopedist. Plantar fasciitis is usually worst in the morning, since tendons contract while you sleep, and get stretched out by activity during the day. So: Keep a rolling pin by your bed. As soon as you get out of bed, before doing anything else, put the rolling pin on the floor and roll your foot back and forth over it, rolling the cylindrical rolling pin back and forth under your foot and stretching out the plantar tendon. Do that for just a couple of minutes every morning until the fasciitis gets better. . It has always worked for me. I hope this helps.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    It is sore just under my ankle bone and this pain continues through the side of my foot on the left hand side.

If you mean the inside of the ankle (and not the outside), it sounds like something called Posterior Tibial Tendonopathy. That often goes along with flattened arches (which in turn can lead to plantar fasciitis).

But it could be something else, so try to work with a podiatrist, orthopedist, or physical therapist for a treatment plan. If that's not possible, ask the hospital for the diagnosis. If they don't know it, ask for the name of the tendon (they should have a record of this).

In the mean time, try doing hourly stretches of your arch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sorry ti hijack this thread but I have been suffering with a sore heel since the spring. I am a runner triathlete and was able to only do one race this year because of it. I have been to Massage a Therapy, Chiripractor for Active Release, acupuncture, and Podiatrist. For Orthotics. Nothing has worked.
    I roll my foot with a frozen water bottle I stretch as per Podiatrist instructions, sitting on a chair and stretching the leg straight and flexing the heel.
    I haven't run now since June and missed the entire hiking season just to save my foot for work.
    They say it is PF but my foot is not sore first thing in the morning it gets worse as the day goes on. Feels like a deep bone bruise that is a sharp burning pain.
    Any ideas on what to do or what it is, I have had it Xrayed nothing showed up.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    They say it is PF but my foot is not sore first thing in the morning it gets worse as the day goes on. Feels like a deep bone bruise that is a sharp burning pain.

If the X-ray didn't show bone spurs, then i would suspect Fat Pad Syndrome. That's where the thick layer of fat that cushions your heel breaks down.. usually from excessive impact and/or age. This page explains more:
    http://parispedorthic.com/ConditionsTreatment/FootPain/FatPadSyndrome.aspx

This page has an easy diagnostic test that supposedly determines if it's FPS - but i don't know how valid it is, since it's not a medical website:
    http://www.spinalhealth.net/XT_files/XT-inj-fatpad.html

You probably should talk to a podiatrist.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    Thankyou fir those links I am off to take a look, I was running everyday 115 in a row and biking and swimming and I am over 60 so that sounds like it could be more like it. I also work as a waitress in a very busy restaurant for now over 27 years. Feet have taken a beating.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    I could have written those links that is exactly what I have or how it feels. I was reading them out loud and my husband was astounded at how the symptoms were mine.
    This is the first time anyone has said that is a possibility they all said PF except massage therapist he thought is was bone spurs so he sent me for X rays.
    Thank you so much for the links.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Jeepy - Give this taping method a try -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETht5tE0r-I

I'm curious to hear if it helps..
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have ever read about someone having the same pain as mine! I started wearing Vibrums 3 years ago and there was no more pain. I think I need new ones as the pain has returned!:smile:

Sorry ti hijack this thread but I have been suffering with a sore heel since the spring. I am a runner triathlete and was able to only do one race this year because of it. I have been to Massage a Therapy, Chiripractor for Active Release, acupuncture, and Podiatrist. For Orthotics. Nothing has worked.
    I roll my foot with a frozen water bottle I stretch as per Podiatrist instructions, sitting on a chair and stretching the leg straight and flexing the heel.
    I haven't run now since June and missed the entire hiking season just to save my foot for work.
  • jeepyj93
    Options
    Thankyou Cherimoose I will give it a try. Now going to watch the youtube.
  • JimCarlos
    Options
    If the soreness and stiffness in the Achilles region are mild then you can try some simple things to quiet the problem down:
    Gentle stretch for a few minutes for both heels can be beneficial.
    Anti-inflammatory medications can help reduce the inflammation and pain.
    Use a cold pack or ice for about 10-15 minutes if the tendon is really inflamed and sore after a workout or long day at work.
    If the pain doesn't go away you should seek medical advice without any delay. I hope this link will help you out if the pain doesn't get better after few days. hope you will GWS :smile:
    http://footsolutions.com/problems/achilles-tendonitis