metabolic damage

Options
Last year September I tried water fasting.

I got down to 74Kg (163lbs) but then I started serious intermittent binging with lots of chocolate.

After a couple of months I started to not lose any weight and since March this year my weight has increased to 97Kg (213lbs)
and is now stable.

No matter how much I eat/fast and excercise I can't even shift one pound now.

This is has been driving me mad and I feel suicidal everyday as I can't get on with my life.

My goal weight is 65Kg(143lbs).

My doctors won't do anything about it and I'm thinking of going to
Harley Street in London privately to get checked out.

I am currently trying the Atkins diet but so far lost nothing.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    so you're 97 now ? the tracker says 80 - confused. 65 sounds a bit low TBH but maybe you aren't as tall as you look.

If you log food open your diary for specific advice from other members.

I'm not aware of anything lasting a year - how long was your water fast ?

There are places in London where you can have your metabolic rate measured, but I would doubt your RMR has fallen below 1,000 to be honest. What's a typical day's food on Atkins ?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This is has been driving me mad and I feel suicidal everyday as I can't get on with my life.

you need to get professional help for these feelings.
  • Donna_Olsen
    Donna_Olsen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to exclude carbs and increase fat? The best thing I've done after sabotaging my metabolism.
    If you want to here is a link to what it is about!

http://www.dietdoctor.com/

It is a little bit like Atkins, but more fat. The body needs fat to burn fat, and your cells won't starve. Or continue with Atkins and give it some time! The most important is to stick to the plan!

Good luck!
  • Donna_Olsen
    Donna_Olsen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree! Get some professional help here!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I REALLY HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS

By going onto the Atkins diet you are switching to Ketogenics to lose weight. This just makes you - ill again.

You cannot lose water it is health essential. You must drink your six to eight each day.

Your body must work properly to lose weight. Lots of things stop you losing weight.

I found that drinking sweeteners and juices stopped me losing.

Then you must combine protein and carbohydrate in the right quantities when eating.

And these must be whole foods not junk.

And limit dairy products - no exclusion of protein for carbs and vice versa.

Dont go on with Atkins - stop now cos it damages your cardiovascular system.

Exercise each day and make really wise choices with your foods and you will come back to losing in short time
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dont go on with Atkins - stop now cos it damages your cardiovascular system

No evidence for this in many long term followers that I've heard of ?

Nutritional ketosis is not "illness".
  • djwatt
    djwatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks Donna for the advice to stick with it I will give it a good go.
  • djwatt
    djwatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry corrected my tracker now to show correct weight

I will log food diary here so people can track http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/djwatt

my longest water fast was for 21 days
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How about instead of trying all these shortcut programs, you try the long hard way that comes with a guarantee.

no drugs, no diets - just eat healthy, lift weights, do cardio, rest and drink lots of water for 2 years and see what happens.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm about 10 pounds heavier that you are right now. I was able to get down to 210, but it was hard to maintain it. You know what I did? I gave up, best thing ever.

Give up this weight loss thing and just concentrate on working out, getting stronger, faster, better. Like Yoovie said, no shortcuts. Get your head in the game for life, and rock the heck out of it. a chocolate binge shouldn't derail your whole life. Its just chocolate.

You also really need to go talk to a professional, seriously.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

you need to get professional help for these feelings.

+1
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a moderate caloric deficit and tracking your calories?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I feel suicidal everyday as I can't get on with my life.

You need to see a professional.