Dumpy, middle-aged mom, interested in lifting but ...

Options
My dr has told me she wants me working out with heavy weights to up my muscle mass. I go to the gym but usually do cardio and weight machines. I'm 42 and very soft, plus I have no clue where to start with free weights. I fear I'll look like a moron in the weight room esp since that is where most of the "meatheads" are in my gym. Where and how should I get started?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My dr has told me she wants me working out with heavy weights to up my muscle mass. I go to the gym but usually do cardio and weight machines. I'm 42 and very soft, plus I have no clue where to start with free weights. I fear I'll look like a moron in the weight room esp since that is where most of the "meatheads" are in my gym. Where and how should I get started?

get NROL4W and a couple of sessions with a PT to show you good form
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are usually a good way to start working with weights. Start with lighter weights at first to get the correct form for each exercise. Are there any trainers where you work out that you could ask to show you some basic strength training exercises?

I recently came across an app called Jefit. You can select a muscle group and what type of weight (machine or free, etc) and it will give you examples of exercises.

Good luck to you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't call yourself dumpy!!! Oh my gosh! Be nice to yourself!

It's great that you are already going to the gym and working on weights, even if it is with machines. Definitely worth seeing if you can get someone to teach you proper form on the free weights, either hire a trainer or if you gym has attendants that will help, utilize them. Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer you at least a one time session with a trainer. I'd have them walk you through the free weights and proper form, and then look into one of the many programs out there for weight training.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Firstly stop identifying yourself as middle aged, it's just a number ok?! I say this as I'm 44 lmao : )

Yes, going to 'that' part of the gym can be intimidating to start with, but hey they're just men and won't harm you lol!

Take a look at the Stronglifts 5x5 program, it's simple and works wonders.

Ask at your gym to be shown how to do the moves, also look it up on youtube to get tips on form on there, this is what I do all the time.

You'll lose that 'dumpy' tag you've labelled yourself with in not time and replace it with 'Fit Mom'!

Good luck!
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

get NROL4W and a couple of sessions with a PT to show you good form

This. Like you OP, I have always gone to the gym, and used weight machines. But have nearly finished stage 1 of NROLFW, it's simple to follow, and you can make it as challenging (with weights) as you wish. There are far more expert opinions than mine, but i have found it a great place to start. Don't worry about how you look in the gym, most people are too concerned with their own workouts to be watching. And if you are middle aged at 42- well, I am more middle aged than you! :wink:
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It hurts me when you talk about yourself so terribly :cry: You can do anything if you put your mind to it.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

IMO this is the best lifting site on the Internet. Build yourself a plan using their menu (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html). It will give you an empty plan and muscle groups to work on and then you choose 1 or 2 exercises in each category. I would start with a full-body workout, and move to splits when you get a little better. (splits are where you do different muscle groups each day ie "leg day" or "core day") There are GIF images of each exercise - WATCH THEM CAREFULLY. The first couple of sessions will be learning sessions for sure. The goal is to choose a weight that is comfortable enough that you can do 10 - 12 reps with perfect form. If you can do more than 12 use a little more weight, if you can only get 8 then you have too much weight. If you can do 11 but your form suffers at the end use less weight. It is better to use less weight and maintain good form than to lift wrong. Do 3 sets of each exercise. Carefully track your exercises, weight lifted, and reps. Have fun!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO, purchase the New Rules of Lifting for Women book and Starting Strength. Read the NROLFW book, then move on to SS, and use that program. I don't personally like the NROL program very much, but it has a lot of great things to say.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer you at least a one time session with a trainer. I'd have them walk you through the free weights and proper form, and then look into one of the many programs out there for weight training.

^ This. If you're that worried about it I would highly recommend getting with a trainer
  • TimElwis
    Options

Those meatheads can sometimes be helpful =D If you came up to me in the gym and wanted a spot i'd help. So ask around, make some friends and love lifting. I would start with a trainer though just to get the basics mastered!