PCOS sufferers!

Options
hello I'm Regina, and a long time PCOS sufferer since my teenage years. Now as an adult, I was told after the birth of my child last year, if I didn't lose weight, within 5 years I will be diabetic, wow!:explode: hit me like a ton of bricks! but my question is, is there anyone out there who's weight issues are compounded by PCOS and needs support?! if your out there, I'm here!! Where my soul cysters at??? :):drinker:

Replies

• LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have PCOS and I'm struggling, too!
  • regbrown85
    regbrown85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Love! we can do it together! I've learned so much within the last year about this syndrome and I can definitely help you cope! ill add you as a friend!
  • tehewok
    Options
    I've been suffering since I was 16, but wasn't diagnosed until my 20's. I'm really struggling with weight, I'm at my highest and can.not. get it off. Adding you!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have PCOS also and I have been trying to lose weight also. At the moment I am pregnant with my first child so I am not working to lose weight at the moment but I will be back again trying. I lost about 10 lbs before getting pregnant and got pregnant thanks to eating a low carb/ketogenic diet. I am also pre-diabetic and the diet helped me tremendously in controlling my blood sugar and eliminating my PCOS symptoms.

Check out the PCOS groups on here! They are awesome!

Welcome!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have pcos, and although i have managed to lose weight, i am now struggling to conceive, any help would be much appreciated! :-)
  • jodycleo
    Options
    hello everyone *waves
    I have pcos although I have gained weight im currently keeping it under control, I've lost inches even if the weight is still showing on the scales. I thought I would let you all know how im keeping my weight under control.. well whats working for me anyhow.
    I go to the gym 4-5 days a week i usually spend around 1 hr there, i go straight from work (if i go home i won't feel like going).
    i do a mix of cardio and weights, i usually go on the running machine and do interval training (run for 1min walk for 1min) i do this for around 10min so your only running for 5min out of 10min, however you must run quite fast, you can start by running for 30sec walking for 30sec and building it up... this also applies to the crosstrainer 30sec bursts of speed then slow you'll burn more calories like this and get fitter quicker.... i also use weight for squats, lunges, sit up's, and crunches. Join a kettle bell class I've found that building muscle has helped change my body shape as i gain weight on upper legs, belly and bum.
    (Food) the dreaded F word,
    i don't eat bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta, milk, yogurts, crisps.. phew now what i do eat lol
    I use almond milk over my cereal, i don't eat cereal with wheat i usually go for rice crispies, corn flakes, granola etc.
    I'll have salad with tuna or ham/chicken for lunch in work instead of sandwiches, or i'll have a chicken breast from the canteen or soup,..
    For tea i'll usually make a meal for the whole family spag bol, gamon, etc i usually subsatute pasta/chips for quinoa, rice, salad, veg etc.
    I drink green tea, coconut water, water i don't drink pop/juice. I also have a protein shake after the gym i use a whey protein powder from my local supermarket that does not contain soy.
    try and avoid soy as it contains phyto oestrogens that will in turn mess up hormones causing more belly fat and excess water retention.
    I usually have fruit, dried fruit, nuts, popcorn, or rice cakes with almond butter/dark chocolate etc for a snack.
    I do like chocolate (doesn't everyone) i have a major sweet tooth and this is definitely my vice so i do have a bar of chocolate occasionally or dark chocolate 70% coco.
    Although i know this is very difficult for some people, it works for me and i know that this is for life not just a fad, however im currently managing to stay in a size 8, my stats for this time are 33in bust - 26in waist - 34in hips, it can be hard when im tired and i get a horrible pain in my left ovary quite often but i make myself go to the gym i might not work as hard on some days as others but i always feel better when i come from there. If i don't keep the exercise up i gain weight very quickly, so ladies there is a way to lose the pounds but it's hard work and commitment, low carbs and high protein.
    from a worn out mother of 2 trying to juggle gym/food/life and work.. x
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, :flowerforyou:
    PCOS here and i have been struggling half of my life with the weight.
    Taking Metformin and b.c. to tame the symptoms. Really would love to lose this excess weight to start a family. :tongue:
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a Cyster but I wouldn't say I suffer anymore, dx at 15 going on 30 (not IR just a little sensative)

Lifting has been a the best thing for my PCOS, cardio was making me feel worse! I'm med free becasue I feel it really is only a bandaid that has to come off one day and it will be ten fold.

Nutrition is key for cysters, I have been eating cleaner and it has helped so much but now working on cutting out dairy/grains/legumes (dare I say go Paleo :happy: )

My favorite sites if anyone is interested:

http://betterbydrbrooke.com/blog/

http://www.pcosdiva.com/
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was trying to get pregnant with my 2nd child 5-6 years ago. Did 3 rounds of clomid before we concieved. Decided after that I had to loose weight. Was weighing in around 200 after my son was born. Lost 65lbs and Haven't really had any PCOS symptoms. Not saying it is gone but my body seems to work the way its supposed to ever since. Wish you all the best of luck with it!
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I to have pcos. Have had it for a while now. I hit a stand still where I haven't been losing. I was at my heaviest 403 pounds. I stopped taking metformin for a while because I had a bad experience and **** myself...literally. Was so embarassing. :( But my doc wants me to try it again but in slower does so we'll see. I am down to 337 as of right now. But I have a long way to go. I have a varicose vein that's giving me horrible pain so it's time to do something. I do as well as others on this post, want to lose so i can have a family. Anyone feel free to add me.

-HayleyAnne012911
  • rebeccarandall9
    Options
    I got diagnosed about a month ago, and was put straight on metformin, which has cleared up my skin and helped with my exhaustion certainly.

Hopefully that combined with my already decent diet, it should come off steadily.
  • 20mariel
    Options
    Encouraging others to take a look at this scientific study; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334192/

As of about 7 weeks ago, I started a lower-carb diet and started seeing a personal trainer. I'm 7 or so kilos down so far (haven't weighed myself for a couple of weeks so it could be more- I'm still loosing centimetres from waistline, butt and boob line), and so it seems to be working well.

Lower carb- I've been reducing bread, rice, pasta- basically processed white stuff
    Training three times per week with the trainer, once at the gym and going swimming twice in a week.