First Half Marathon (Staten Island Half)

Options
Well, I did it! 4 months after taking up running, I have completed my first half marathon! I chose the Staten Island Half Marathon since I was born in S.I., so I made the 3.5 hour commute from Upstate NY to the city for this huge race. I thought I trained well , but was so spent somewhere around mile 11. I left my Gatorade chews in the car, so I imagine that not having the sugar rush didn't help. This was such a great experience, especially for a first time HM'er. Props to the NYRR for a great experience.

Exhausted ,
2:15:48.

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Good job! You did excellent! and in just four months! wow! you are supposed to be exhausted so don't worry about that...
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow! That great time, and 4mths in??? I'll be running my first HM at my 1 year of running mark and I thought that was good.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Outstanding accomplishment :drinker:
  • meriro
    meriro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ! How did you prepare for the hm ? I'm sure you are well on your way to the full one soon ! Keep on running :smile:
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I ran with you (though much further back in the pack). :laugh:

It was such a gorgeous day for a race wasn't it? I am so impressed that you were able to get up to 1/2 marathon distance in just 4 months! You must have been pretty fit starting out. Glad you had a great experience.

It was so hard for me to get out of the house at 5:50 am to make the 6:30 ferry - and you had a 3.5 hour commute and still made it on time! Thats some serious dedication!
  • icecreammanza
    Options
    Nice one, I intend doing a half marathon in January 2014 which will be 4 months for me since I started running however you had an excellent time, I am aiming for around 2:40.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is excellent progress for 4 months of running.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Thank you all for your congrats :)
    Congratulations ! How did you prepare for the hm ? I'm sure you are well on your way to the full one soon ! Keep on running :smile:

I looked at Jeff Galloway's plan at http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html , took out the alternating "rest" weeks for the long runs, although I wasn't strict about it, I semi-followed it. I wish I had started earlier to train, but there is always next year! I tried to run at least twice a week for about 3 miles, then on Sundays I would do my 'long run'.

Congrats! I ran with you (though much further back in the pack). :laugh:

It was such a gorgeous day for a race wasn't it? I am so impressed that you were able to get up to 1/2 marathon distance in just 4 months! You must have been pretty fit starting out. Glad you had a great experience.

It was so hard for me to get out of the house at 5:50 am to make the 6:30 ferry - and you had a 3.5 hour commute and still made it on time! Thats some serious dedication!

It really was perfect weather. I started in the 10000-10999 area, so I don't know how much farther back there was. :laugh:

I have been sedentary for the better part of the last two decades, so I wouldn't say i was fit.... I started running in June so I could lose weight... I've lost 20 pounds and I've got another 6-7 to go before my BMI creeps in to "normal" range.

I left my house at 3:30AM to get there about 7:15. I was so afraid of long lines for everything. I got there right before a rush of people got off of the ferry. Was grateful for that! Was just one of those things that I told myself, if I REALLY want to do it, I have to go the 'extra mile' so to speak. I think the ride home was worse though.....

Was really great though!
  • lysslax
    lysslax Posts: 64
    Options
    Great job!!!! What an accomplishment! :-) Really fast time too!!

I ran my first half and had to drag my body the last 2.1 miles after the 11 mile mark!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You did great for just starting out. Congratulations!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!