All my related questions to lifting

Options
Hello lads,

I have a couple of questions related to lifting, partly because these questions occupy mind 24/7 whenever I am actually at the gym. Things like 'oh god, I'm doing it wrong, I won't be getting any better, etc etc'. I hope somebody could take some time to explain why I'm thinking wrong, or answer the questions, and help me get past this beginner's ramp.

So without further ado;

1. The workout. My coach has made me a 'suited' workout for me, seeing as I'm a 19 yo, slighly overweight, dude who has little muscles on his body. I'm relatively new, and he thought it was best to start with these exercises to train all the parts of my body.

-Lat Pulldown machine
-Chest Press Machine
-Pectoral Fly machine
-Seated Row machine
-Back Extension
-Leg Press Machine

All of these, I do 12 x 2.

As for the core:

-Crunches(20x2)
-Since I suck at the tapping toes exercise big time because my movement is way too restricted, I was given an alternative, the 'touch the knee part while your leg is on top'. This is supposed to train my side abs.

My question is, is this actually a good workout for my first 6 weeks? Any better alternatives?

2. Weight Balancing. So I tried to do a triceps chest press dumbbell exercise, and quickly noticed how I have literally no balance with the weights(I tried lifting 2 10 kg's), and getting them up and down in sync hardly worked well for me(one was really going left and right all the time, while the other was more stable). My question is, should I go to a pro and ask him to help me, or should I continue doing this, and expect that this issue will become less the more I practice it?

3. Hand doing all the work. This is not a innuendo, this is more like a personal feeling I get every time I lift something. Say, the Lat Pulldown. Every time I pull it down, I don't really feel like the designated area gets worked well, regardless of the posture I try to recreate every time. I feel more like my hands and arms are the ones getting tired. Is this normal? Should I feel like my hands and arms are getting tired, distracting it from what is really getting workes(the lower back)?

4. No energy. Sometimes, like when doing the crunches, I notice how I literally have no stamina left, compared to say, last week. So I start off doing my first rep, which is pretty good. But immediately, after taking like 30 seconds break, I retry to do it, and I feel like I'm physically unable to get myself up without the help of my arms. I notice how my feet can't stay firm on the ground, and my arms I have folded on my chest force themselves up. Is this natural? Or am I doing something wrong here?

5. What are some good exercises with dumbbells for beginners? This is a basic question, but whenever I enter the 'non-machine' part of the gym, I get really confused as to what to do. I could do some 'pumping'(don't what how to call it else), where I grab a dumbbell, and just train my biceps by trying to move my lower arm to upper arm, but surely, there must be better ways of using them to practice various body parts(like triceps and biceps)?

That is all for now. Thank you if you have actually read this, and I hope you are not facepalming at this right now.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this same workout everyday? Or are you alternating days? If you're doing this same workout each day you're at the gym I would take a rest day inbetween each day you lift. Also, what is your goal with this workout? If it is to build muscle, I would suggest dropping to 8-10 reps for 3 sets.

The lifts the trainer gave you aren't bad for a beginner as long as you keep progressing in your lifts (adding more weight). You could also try planks for your core. If you're super brand new to this, odds are you aren't doing crunches correctly. Also, planks (I feel) are more dynamic for the core.

Your issue of "weight balancing" could be that you're lifting too much weight. Did your trainer give you help on your form? If not, you should seek help for it if you feel like you can't get the hang of it on your own. It's a good way to injure yourself lifting without proper form. You could also start out using the barbell for chest workouts, eliminating the need for "balance" as with dumbbells until you get used to the movements.

"Hands doing all the work"- you need to focus your mind on the muscles that you are hitting with each exercise. You could also be lifting too much weight and/or using bad form. A lot of problems people have when starting lifting stems from form. It really is *that* important.

"No energy"- You mentioned that you are taking 30 second rests between sets... Have you tried 60 second rests? Or you could do less reps for more sets so you don't tire yourself out so quickly.

Good starter dumbbell exercises- bicep curls, chest press, lunges, shoulder presses... But like I said above, you really need to learn good form before you try lifting "heavy". I can't stress that enough. It sounds like it's the root of many of the issues you're having.

Edit: A good tool for you to use is Bodybuilding.com - If you go to that site, you can search any lift/exercise (using the search bar in the upper right hand corner) and it will come up with an explanation of that lift with a video that shows you correct form. It also features alternate lifts for each exercise you look up if you're looking to switch things up a bit.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in lifting look into "stronglifts 5x5" (free on the internet) or Starting Strength ($10 for the ebook version). I'd recommend Starting Strength for the detail involved in how to actually do the lifts in it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You've got all the right moves but would get more benefit if you did the free weight versions of the exercises (pull-ups, barbell rows, squats, etc). Can you ask your coach to show you proper form on free weights?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    -Find a new coach. He has you doing mostly machine work when you should be doing compound lifts.

-What's your diet like? You shouldn't be feeling that weak between sets with the program you're doing regardless of your rest time

-Search the internet for dumbbell exercises YouTube, etc.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in lifting look into "stronglifts 5x5" (free on the internet) or Starting Strength ($10 for the ebook version). I'd recommend Starting Strength for the detail involved in how to actually do the lifts in it.

Yes good for beginners

Do this OP . Dump your personal trainer what type of routine is that
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am sure you're going to get some great ideas and help about the lifting, so I'm not even going to comment on that. However, I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU. Congratulations on joining a gym and taking steps to change your life. Also, the no energy thing - sometimes I start a workout and I am so damn tired I don't even think I can get through it. It's a mental challenge as well, to push through that state and try, try, try. Keep going, it will be worth it, and I hope people on here can give you some great constructive help x
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I think I got it! I'll invest some time in learning how to start lifting compound lifts, and see where I'll end up ;)

And yes, I think form is important to(to a point that I'm scared of having bad form). I'll focus more on form from now on, and less on having the hardest weights possible for now.
  • jhc7324
    Options
    Thanks folks, I think I got it! I'll invest some time in learning how to start lifting compound lifts, and see where I'll end up ;)

And yes, I think form is important to(to a point that I'm scared of having bad form). I'll focus more on form from now on, and less on having the hardest weights possible for now.
    Yeah, definitely take your time to focus on the form. It'll probably feel like you're at the gym and not really doing anything for the first few sessions, but focus on learning the lifts and you'll start progressing in no time.

Also, be glad you've started this at your age. I wish I'd done that. I started lifting at 35, and now I'm about 9 months or so in and have made pretty substantial progress in my strength and body composition, but almost every day I think about where I could be now if I'd started 10 or 15 years earlier.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I wish I had done this years earlier(like, during high school). I know college is the time to start living life, but I can't help but think how much of a good last senior year at high school I had if I was already a bit better looking back then.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Like the other guys said, this isn't such a bad routine for a beginner I suppose. I would have you starting with free weights asap, since machines pretty much suck anyways. The range of motion on them is terrible, and they tend to isolate more than anything else, when what you want to be doing is learning to lift using your whole body with a full range of motion.

The good thing about this routine though, is that it has you starting off safe and light. You want this, so that you can ease into it. Believe me, you will be hitting higher weight in no time, and you'll be happy you started off easy.

Same thing goes for when you start with free weights. START LIGHT. The fastest way to tell an idiot from someone who knows what they are doing in the gym, is watching to see if they go light with great form, or heavy for ****.

And I just started about a year ago... I wish I had started in college! lol Just get at it!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • jhc7324
    Options
    Same thing goes for when you start with free weights. START LIGHT. The fastest way to tell an idiot from someone who knows what they are doing in the gym, is watching to see if they go light with great form, or heavy for ****.

I'm constantly seeing what weight other guys have on the bar as a way of measuring my own strength. Almost every time I see someone with 200+ lbs on the bar doing squats though, he's doing a half squat with a 3 inch range of motion. There's very few people who squat to depth.

So.. .yeah, get some good resources, learn the form you should be using and try to ignore what other people in the gym are doing because almost all of them are doing it wrong anyway.