eeewww...tried to use mini-processor

Options
jbootman
jbootman Posts: 145 Member
I make a tuna spread for my rice crackers, celery, very low sodium tuna and cottage cheese, so I usually finely chop the celery, 200g about a cup or so, drain and add the tuna, 4 oz, and add the 1/4 cup cottage cheese, mixing it sort of mushes the cottage cheese and tuna, but it is still rather crumbly,

so I got this mini food processor and tried to mix it, it made this unappealing watery pasty stuff, well it is only 2 servings for 2 days and I ate it, not to waste, but eeewww,

perhaps it is just me.....

I do not want to add more cottage cheese to my recipe because every calorie counts,

perhaps if I just puree the tuna and cottage cheese, and mix it with my hand chopped celery, will try that next

:sad:

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    sounds like you over mixed it. i would use the mini chopper on the hard stuff (celery) and then just add tuna and cottage cheese in the bowl. don't use the chopper or else you will get a smoothe from hell. i use my chopper for veggies and hard stuff but soft stuff i will find another way because the blades just work too darn well
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    you might wanna do just what you said because you said it was watery....its probably because of the celery not being drained after you chop it like you usually do. celery is FULL of water (which is why its so little calories). and if you have a mixing arm for the food processor instead of the choppers you might wanna use that instead. just chop the celery with it first, then drain the celery, then mix them all together with the mixing arm. hope next time that you dont get watery icky stuff! D: good luck!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I make my tuna salad the same way (with cottage cheese vs mayo) and it is crumbly however, I like to wrap it in a big piece of Lettuce and make like a lettuce wrap...Super low in calories and it helps to contain the crumbles! As far as blending it...I don't think that would be very yummy, I personally like the texture that the tuna and CC bring together.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd puree the cottage cheese, and then add the tuna and celery. Pureed tuna sounds disgusting!
  • thefallguy
    Options
    you should get the slap chop. I have this vegetable chopper (although it's not the "slap chop" brand) that works excellent. You decide how small want to cut your veggies, if you want big chunks then just push twice... so on. It works great for me because I HATED veggies so I would finally chop peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, broccoli and celery and it added flavor and spice without me having to hold my nose and eat big chunks! It was about $10 at Ross.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I make a tuna spread for my rice crackers, celery, very low sodium tuna and cottage cheese, so I usually finely chop the celery, 200g about a cup or so, drain and add the tuna, 4 oz, and add the 1/4 cup cottage cheese, mixing it sort of mushes the cottage cheese and tuna, but it is still rather crumbly,

so I got this mini food processor and tried to mix it, it made this unappealing watery pasty stuff, well it is only 2 servings for 2 days and I ate it, not to waste, but eeewww,

perhaps it is just me.....

I do not want to add more cottage cheese to my recipe because every calorie counts,

perhaps if I just puree the tuna and cottage cheese, and mix it with my hand chopped celery, will try that next

:sad:

It's definately the celery!! I promise!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I mix my tuna with hummus instead of mayo, sliced hearts of palm, diced celery and pickles, and chopped cucumber. Very low calorie and you can play with different flavors of hummus. I love cottage cheese, but i'm not sure how that texture would go with the tuna....hmmm
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    great ideas,

I have tried greek yogurt successfully,

love the other ideas,

next month will need to cut more calories and will try the lettuce wrap,

it would save me 70 calories a day,

hummus would bump the protein and fiber,

you guys rock, thanks